Are You Religious?

For all other chat which isn't directly related to lucid dreaming and the world of sleep and dreams.

Are you religious or secular? Cast your vote!

Religious/theist/deist
25%
Secular/atheist/agnostic
75%

Total votes: 12

Summerlander

Are You Religious?

Postby Summerlander » 03 Mar 2015 00:52

Hi! :mrgreen:

One of our fellow members has worked out some statistics about religiosity and irreligiosity in this Forum. I'd like to put her figures to the test. This thread is not intended to spark a debate but feel free to elaborate on your beliefs, or disbelief, here. (My stance has been trenchantly evinced in Dream Science; "Lucid Dreamers and God.") 8-)

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Last edited by Summerlander on 03 Mar 2015 12:37, edited 1 time in total.
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

deschainXIX

Re: Are You Religious?

Postby deschainXIX » 03 Mar 2015 02:51

Secular/agnostic/atheist. :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Well said.

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 03 Mar 2015 12:40

Anti-theist too! :mrgreen:

@ nesgirl:

Human beings are so nice. That canine has no manners! It must be an atheist! :-D

"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 03 Mar 2015 23:13

I'm a devout Quir.
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

jasmine2

Postby jasmine2 » 04 Mar 2015 01:14

I always feel rather sad when I see some survey which only address the opposite poles - "Religious" versus "Secular" in regards to a person's philosophical approach to deep questions about the ultimate nature of reality and awareness.

"Religious" usually seems to be associated with some form of organized religion with a set statement of beliefs to be accepted without question by the members of that particular group. And "Secular" beliefs are usually though of as being based totally on rational though, with a likely suspicion of intuitive ways of exploring the nature of consciousness.

I wish these surveys would include a 3rd category, such as - "Spiritual - Non-affiliated". Perhaps other forum members could suggest another term for people who do not attend church, but who are interested in independently exploring the inner nature of consciousness through meditation, dream work, the study of cross-cultural metaphorical themes in mythology, enjoyment of close communion with nature, etc.

Some resources which tend to blend religious/secular boundaries.

- Book - "Lucid Dreaming: Gateway To The Inner Self".
In chapters 7, 8 and 9, Robert Waggoner discusses various deeply intuitive, abstract, numinous lucid dreaming experiences, such as awareness of the hidden observer behind dreaming and self-less experiences of inner light.

- Search - "Perennial Wisdom - theosociety.org
Scroll down to Science category and see some very intuitive, spiritual-sounding commentary by Albert Einstein - "A Mysterious, A Cosmic Religious Feeling" or Itzhak Bentov - "The Ground Of All Being".

- Also - YouTube _ "Stanislav Grof - Revision And Re-Enchantment of Psychology"

jasmine2

DesertExplorer

Postby DesertExplorer » 04 Mar 2015 01:31

jasmine2 wrote:I always feel rather sad when I see some survey which only address the opposite poles - "Religious" versus "Secular" in regards to a person's philosophical approach to deep questions about the ultimate nature of reality and awareness.

"Religious" usually seems to be associated with some form of organized religion with a set statement of beliefs to be accepted without question by the members of that particular group. And "Secular" beliefs are usually though of as being based totally on rational though, with a likely suspicion of intuitive ways of exploring the nature of consciousness.

I wish these surveys would include a 3rd category, such as - "Spiritual - Non-affiliated". Perhaps other forum members could suggest another term for people who do not attend church, but who are interested in independently exploring the inner nature of consciousness through meditation, dream work, the study of cross-cultural metaphorical themes in mythology, enjoyment of close communion with nature, etc.

Some resources which tend to blend religious/secular boundaries.

- Book - "Lucid Dreaming: Gateway To The Inner Self".
In chapters 7, 8 and 9, Robert Waggoner discusses various deeply intuitive, abstract, numinous lucid dreaming experiences, such as awareness of the hidden observer behind dreaming and self-less experiences of inner light.

- Search - "Perennial Wisdom - theosociety.org
Scroll down to Science category and see some very intuitive, spiritual-sounding commentary by Albert Einstein - "A Mysterious, A Cosmic Religious Feeling" or Itzhak Bentov - "The Ground Of All Being".

- Also - YouTube _ "Stanislav Grof - Revision And Re-Enchantment of Psychology"

jasmine2
+1
Anyone who will not receive the kingdom of God like a little child will never enter it...

- Jesus Christ

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 04 Mar 2015 02:24

Jasmine, most deists don't attend any places of worship. If you want, you can identify yourself as a pantheist, in the sense that you are in awe of the universe (something many scientists experience anyway), and that you are curious about the nature of consciousness -- one of life's greatest mysteries -- and wish to explore it.

One can be spiritual without being religious. In this case, you are certainly not religious in the sense that I meant here (someone adhering to the precepts of a particular faith). There are many secular people who meditate and seek numinous experiences. If you suspect there might be a Creator but are not sure, you might prefer to be identified as an agnostic. (Many an agnostic snub places of worship, too.)

You might even be a Jewish atheist who is making preparations to celebrate Purim -- which is today, by the way -- but you don't believe in any of the stories in the Old Testament. Purim might just be a good excuse for a family get-together or a party! Is this position religious or secular? It is certainly atheist.

Conversely, atheist priests exist. Even the Pope could be a private atheist! This is why I encourage people to elaborate here. Feel free to exposit your grey areas but you must cast your vote. You know what I mean by my dichotomy above. The question is, which one do you relate to the most?

If your pantheism is Spinozaesque (is this even a word? :mrgreen:) or even Einsteinian, then perhaps you should opt for "secular/atheist/agnostic." If it's more Waggoneresque, then you should go for the other. I've read Robert Waggoner's book. Some of what he espouses is valid, but his suspicions and conclusions belong somewhere between the New Age and Existentialism categories. He entertains the supernatural. Sorry. :-)

And, of course, if you follow crackpot Thomas Campbell, you are in a cult and should go for "religious/theist/deist." Your god is the collective consciousness -- alive and intelligently evolving towards a goal. Buddhism (even its atheistic factions) espouses metaphysics, karma, and realms beyond the physical. Religion. :mrgreen:

- Padmasambhava

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 04 Mar 2015 11:31

What is Quir, Hagart? :-D

- Padmasambhava

DesertExplorer

Postby DesertExplorer » 04 Mar 2015 12:31

I didn't vote, because I am agnostic about whether I am agnostic or not.
Anyone who will not receive the kingdom of God like a little child will never enter it...

- Jesus Christ

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 04 Mar 2015 20:44

Summerlander wrote:What is Quir, Hagart?

nesgirl shared this video in a different thread:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjErByDfm7k&index=9&list=PLE0FEB1781BCF65EC

It's my new religion because it simply makes sense to me.
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

Return to “Off-Topic”