I finally got lucid, but I have a question?

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.
Lucror

I finally got lucid, but I have a question?

Postby Lucror » 04 Mar 2015 22:22

Ok, so last night was the first time I managed to become lucid in a dream. After I became lucid, my dog an up and attacked me. Due to the fact that I was in a dream and knew it I tried to control the scene to make it stop or go away. It did not work, and then I woke up. Why did the dream control not work?

Thanks!

taniaaust1

Re: I finally got lucid, but I have a question?

Postby taniaaust1 » 07 Mar 2015 11:13

It depends what is stronger at the time.. your subconsciousness and what its trying to express or your own waking consciousness and the strength of your will. In this case your subconsciousness was stronger.

We wouldn't be in a dream if the subconsciousness wasn't expressing itself too (otherwise it would be just visualisation).

Think about how you felt when the dog was attacked you.. if you were afraid, that would of played into what the subconsciousness was creating here and further strengthened its expression and made it harder to change the situation thou it is still often possible.

You didn't give any details on what exactly you did to try to stop or make the scene go away and the way you went about doing this may of been helped lead to the loss of this dream, dream drop out. I cant of cause comment if that was the case or not with no details on what you did about the dog. But if you did something like spin to get rid of the scene, that for many will cause a LD drop out as it disconnects a person from the dream surroundings so I would advise a beginner not to try.

If you share more about what you did maybe we could more advise what may of been more successful eg it may be easier to stop a charging aggressive dog if you simply just turn your back on it and think something like "kitten" (just the thinking of kitten with backed turned to the dog may of changed it) rather then try to change the situation while watching it headed straight for you. Looking straight at something while trying to change it, can be difficult esp for a beginner.
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

Lucror

Postby Lucror » 07 Mar 2015 23:59

taniaaust1 wrote:It depends what is stronger at the time.. your subconsciousness and what its trying to express or your own waking consciousness and the strength of your will. In this case your subconsciousness was stronger.

We wouldn't be in a dream if the subconsciousness wasn't expressing itself too (otherwise it would be just visualisation).

Think about how you felt when the dog was attacked you.. if you were afraid, that would of played into what the subconsciousness was creating here and further strengthened its expression and made it harder to change the situation thou it is still often possible.

You didn't give any details on what exactly you did to try to stop or make the scene go away and the way you went about doing this may of been helped lead to the loss of this dream, dream drop out. I cant of cause comment if that was the case or not with no details on what you did about the dog. But if you did something like spin to get rid of the scene, that for many will cause a LD drop out as it disconnects a person from the dream surroundings so I would advise a beginner not to try.

If you share more about what you did maybe we could more advise what may of been more successful eg it may be easier to stop a charging aggressive dog if you simply just turn your back on it and think something like "kitten" (just the thinking of kitten with backed turned to the dog may of changed it) rather then try to change the situation while watching it headed straight for you. Looking straight at something while trying to change it, can be difficult esp for a beginner.

I tried to just think of the dog not attacking. I don't know if this was the best way of changing the scene. It's also possible that I awoke because the I fell down when attacked in the dream.

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 08 Mar 2015 00:43

Lucror wrote:
I tried to just think of the dog not attacking. I don't know if this was the best way of changing the scene. It's also possible that I awoke because the I fell down when attacked in the dream.

That's where you went wrong. When someone thinks of something but still is thinking "that will not happen" trying to change it, you in fact are in a way still thinking about that original thing happening even if you don't want it to. The stronger one thinks about it not wanting it to be happening, the stronger one is thinking of that thing (unless one can block off all awareness of whatever is going on but that would near impossible).

To change something the easiest way, you need to actually hold focus on an alternative scene or thing, something completely different to what is going on while disconnecting as much as you can from the scenario you want to leave eg why turning back on what you want gone can help. To distract yourself from thinking of the object you want to get away from is the easiest way by replacing it with something else as its impossible to just completely block out what is going on. (in this case it still will be in your mind but the other thing due to focused thought on something else can easily become stronger and alter the dream).

eg other then my before example of how this scene could of been changed ie thinking this dog was a kitten. Another way this scene may of been able to have been changed is by focusing on the dog just playing with you or just being excitable and jumping around playing but note this second example is more likely to fail then the first, would be harder to scene change as you would of still had "dog" in the scene and your subconsciousness may still be wanting dog to attack.

If you don't like kittens.. thinking of that dog being something like a little child running at you also may of worked well in this situation (at least if the child is still going to bite you could of grabbed the child easily enough but usually changing the symbol (dog in this case) will change the outcome as with a different symbol your subconsciousness will have a different idea on what the new dream character should or should not do even if it doesn't want to do as you are trying to think of it doing.

I think this dream would of been a good learning experience for a beginner, so you shouldn't make same mistake next time :)
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

Return to “For Beginners”