Panic: Unable to differentiate dream world and real world.

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
dreamstudent

Panic: Unable to differentiate dream world and real world.

Postby dreamstudent » 08 Mar 2015 05:29

Hello all, I'll get right to it.

I've found in my experience of lucid dreaming through the last two years, that my dreams in general and lucid dreams become more and more life like. This is a rather tough subject to explain so i will give a few examples.

1) Sometimes I will be so infatuated in a dream that I'm thinking within the dream as I would in the real world without being conscious. More specificly in a non lucid dream i may be thinking "oh thats strange there is an elephant in the sky, this would only be in a dream", except at this point of relizing that its a dream-like-characteristic, I carry on with a norma l thinking process as if a elephant in the sky is normal..

Now I'm sure that many of you have had experiences like this however I've noticed a twist to this phenomena in my awareness becoming more and more strong within any given dream lucid or not. You'll see in my next example what I mean.

2) One dream in particular I was standing at a movie theater in the parking lot specificly in my hometown and it was incredibly accurate and architecturally sound. So not conscious of the dream here is my exact thought process going on: "why am I at the movie theater parking lot? Am I here to do something? HOW DID I GET HERE? THIS HAS TO BE A DREAM? No, this isn't a dream there's no way. This is real life. But if this is real life how the **** did I get here. 'I'm panicking now in the parking lot' OKAY I REALLY HAVE TO STOP WITH THIS LUCID DREAMING STUFF ITS MESSING WITH MY SENSE OF REALITY." At this point I wake up, yes that dialogue went on in my head as I stould in the parking lot questioning the realness of the reality I was in.

Yes I do know what a dream world is and real life is this is just an example of confusion in a dream in which I was wondering if anyone else experiences phenomena related to this.

3) The final example is just when your lucid in a dream and your looking at your surroundings saying to yourself, " this is so surreal, so life like, perhaps more real than real life". Anyway a great example woud be similar to the movie inception in which when your changing your setting or environment and you always just create a random one rather than one from memory for example something from your hometown like in example two. I myself have gotten much better at generating climate and setting in the last year, and I don't generally so it from memory I actually do random and unique structures and places.

I don't expect you guys to comment on each three examples just the one that speaks to you the most specifically the topic at hand is questioning your reality in a dream or in the real world. Thanks guys look forward to your replies.

(P.S. this idea came about due to the conversation in my last post on: differientating between obe and lucid dreaming).

[ Post made via Android ] Image

taniaaust1

Re: Panic: Unable to differentiate dream world and real worl

Postby taniaaust1 » 08 Mar 2015 05:50

2) One dream in particular I was standing at a movie theater in the parking lot specificly in my hometown and it was incredibly accurate and architecturally sound. So not conscious of the dream here is my exact thought process going on: "why am I at the movie theater parking lot? Am I here to do something? HOW DID I GET HERE? THIS HAS TO BE A DREAM? No, this isn't a dream there's no way. This is real life. But if this is real life how the **** did I get here. 'I'm panicking now in the parking lot' OKAY I REALLY HAVE TO STOP WITH THIS LUCID DREAMING STUFF ITS MESSING WITH MY SENSE OF REALITY." At this point I wake up, yes that dialogue went on in my head as I stould in the parking lot questioning the realness of the reality I was in.

Yes I do know what a dream world is and real life

But in your dreams in fact you don't know what the real life is and what the dream world is... hence why many people do reality checks, so to figure the two apart. That's what you should be doing instead of standing there freaking out over the situation. Start reality checking when you are in situations which don't seem to be right, with keeping in mind that it may be a dream.

It sounds like you probably have lost many LDs due to not doing reality checks and hence going into panic.
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

dreamstudent

Postby dreamstudent » 08 Mar 2015 06:26

I have indeed lost 100s of LDS to this I can only assume, my problem is when in the real world do I do reality checks do I make a habit of it? How many times a day.

Snaggle

Postby Snaggle » 08 Mar 2015 11:37

The only reality check one needs is to ask yourself how you got where you are. Triggering one's real memories will always tell you whether or not you're dreaming except for false awakenings and a few other special dream types.
"There is only one God and his name is Death.
And there is only one thing we say to death "not today"
- Syrio Forel

rymdsol

Postby rymdsol » 08 Mar 2015 15:01

dreamstudent wrote:I have indeed lost 100s of LDS to this I can only assume, my problem is when in the real world do I do reality checks do I make a habit of it? How many times a day.

Yes if you do reality checks every day it will become a habit and that habit will then shift over to your dreams. It sounds like you already have adopted a more aware mind in your dreams wich question its reality but then failing to become lucid and thats probably because you have not been doing reality checks properly in waking life. So your problem is easy to solve, just start doing reality checks and you will be fine.

Do random checks as many times a day as you like but also in every situation when something strange happens.
''Dreams are real while they last, can we say more of life?''

buildit

Postby buildit » 08 Mar 2015 22:42

Oddly, I have always felt being lucid by definition meant you knew it was a dream or reality. So without the knowledge of reality it would just be another dream, maybe more lucid but still just a dream.
Is Lucid Dreaming the brains preparation for the next step of human evolution when we can escape the corporeal bond of our bodies?

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 09 Mar 2015 05:36

Snaggle wrote:The only reality check one needs is to ask yourself how you got where you are. Triggering one's real memories will always tell you whether or not you're dreaming except for false awakenings and a few other special dream types.

Unfortunately for this thread poster that seems that it isn't enough or otherwise he wouldn't be having the experience quoted below and still not figuring it out causing panic before he figures it out, hence why the need in this case to do more reality checking then just questioning. For some just questioning is enough or others it isn't.

2) One dream in particular I was standing at a movie theater in the parking lot specificly in my hometown and it was incredibly accurate and architecturally sound. So not conscious of the dream here is my exact thought process going on: "why am I at the movie theater parking lot? Am I here to do something? HOW DID I GET HERE? THIS HAS TO BE A DREAM? No, this isn't a dream there's no way. This is real life. But if this is real life how the **** did I get here. 'I'm panicking now in the parking lot'
Last edited by taniaaust1 on 09 Mar 2015 05:45, edited 1 time in total.

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 09 Mar 2015 05:43

rymdsol gave you some good advice.

Also get in the habit of doing a reality check in real life whenever life or a situation has got confusing in some way or something is unusual or doesn't seem right. Make sure you always do a reality check in real life in those situations and that should also help to transfer that habit then into your dreams.

buildit wrote:Oddly, I have always felt being lucid by definition meant you knew it was a dream or reality. So without the knowledge of reality it would just be another dream, maybe more lucid but still just a dream.

Yeah.. more lucid but just a dream and not what is called a lucid dream without the knowledge one is actually dreaming.

Allyk47

Postby Allyk47 » 11 Mar 2015 20:28

You've been lucid dreaming for 2 years and you're not familiar with the techniques of reality checking....?

Bro, do u even Google?....

The general rule of reality checks as far as getting into the habit of doing them and hoping you'll do them in a non lucid dream, out of habit.... Is that during the day, if you think about a reality check, do a reality check. Count your fingers. It takes 2 seconds and it's discreet. All you have to do is look down at your hand. In a dream, 90% of people can't count their fingers because the hands appear distorted.

Of course every now and again you will count your fingers perfectly easily, if your subconscious feels like showing off.... so if it works but you still hold onto that conscious thought "I'm in a dream I think", try a different RC. Again: Google. There's tons of easy ones out there. If the hand check fails, try to fly (by lifting yourself off the ground, not by jumping off a building, on the off-chance that you actually are awake, haha =p ). Or reach through a mirror. So on so forth.

I'm just a little flabbergasted that you have lost LD's because you're in the dream, REALIZE IT, but don't really grasp what's going on.... If all else fails, keep in mind what another poster in this thread mentioned.... Continuity. if you can't make a brief recall of waking up this morning, brushing your teeth, driving, etc etc, all the events that lead to you standing in X room, or the movie theatre parking lot.... Congrats, friend, you're dreamin'. (Or you're drunk.)

Don't worry about it, though, it's not harmful. Being in real life and thinking you're in a dream, is dangerous. But being in a dream and thinking you're in real life... Just frustrating. :) You'll get there. Just remember.... most of the time, if there's the slightest shadow of a doubt, "Am I dreaming right now...?" You probably are. Most of us, those of us with sound mind, at least, are firmly planted in reality when we're awake. Because of continuity, it's very obvious to us that we're awake. As I sit here, I have no doubt that I am awake, it's so clear. If I had the slightest question about it, I'd likely be in a dream.

Stick with it.

dreamstudent

Postby dreamstudent » 12 Mar 2015 04:31

Allyk47 wrote:You've been lucid dreaming for 2 years and you're not familiar with the techniques of reality checking....?

Bro, do u even Google?....

The general rule of reality checks as far as getting into the habit of doing them and hoping you'll do them in a non lucid dream, out of habit.... Is that during the day, if you think about a reality check, do a reality check. Count your fingers. It takes 2 seconds and it's discreet. All you have to do is look down at your hand. In a dream, 90% of people can't count their fingers because the hands appear distorted.

Of course every now and again you will count your fingers perfectly easily, if your subconscious feels like showing off.... so if it works but you still hold onto that conscious thought "I'm in a dream I think", try a different RC. Again: Google. There's tons of easy ones out there. If the hand check fails, try to fly (by lifting yourself off the ground, not by jumping off a building, on the off-chance that you actually are awake, haha =p ). Or reach through a mirror. So on so forth.

I'm just a little flabbergasted that you have lost LD's because you're in the dream, REALIZE IT, but don't really grasp what's going on.... If all else fails, keep in mind what another poster in this thread mentioned.... Continuity. if you can't make a brief recall of waking up this morning, brushing your teeth, driving, etc etc, all the events that lead to you standing in X room, or the movie theatre parking lot.... Congrats, friend, you're dreamin'. (Or you're drunk.)

Don't worry about it, though, it's not harmful. Being in real life and thinking you're in a dream, is dangerous. But being in a dream and thinking you're in real life... Just frustrating. :) You'll get there. Just remember.... most of the time, if there's the slightest shadow of a doubt, "Am I dreaming right now...?" You probably are. Most of us, those of us with sound mind, at least, are firmly planted in reality when we're awake. Because of continuity, it's very obvious to us that we're awake. As I sit here, I have no doubt that I am awake, it's so clear. If I had the slightest question about it, I'd likely be in a dream.

Stick with it.

Appreciate that, yeah I suppose that would make sense if its even a question I should just know but I don't for some reason and yeah I ammaking a better habit of reality checking with hands. Thank you.

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”