A Few Noob Questions

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.
THE BATPOOL

A Few Noob Questions

Postby THE BATPOOL » 16 Mar 2015 18:27

So recently I've had 3 lucid dreams in a row over the course of a single weekend, and one extra after that in which I successfully... Well really didn't do anything. I was aware I was dreaming, that's about it. I don't need help controlling my lucid dreams, I think with a little bit of practice I can sort that out nicely. I need help having them at the right times. I have to wake up at 7:00 every morning, and all those lucid dreams came in cat naps where I was able to feel myself slipping away and simply imagine where I wanted to be. Of course back to the whole control issue thing, I still wasn't able to put myself in Alfheim Online (It's a obsessive anime fan thing). Now, I've been trying a combination of different lucid dreaming methods at night, I don't know their official names, though I've read the articles on this site. Alright enough of my yakking, I'll just put the questions in simple format:

I go to bed at 10:00 every night, then go to the "Dead and Mangled Raptor" sleeping position (Think: Fetal position but your arms are tucked in so it's like a raptors) and lie perfectly still and chant to myself "I'm going to have a lucid dream tonight" I also have an alarm set for 4:00 AM to try what I believe is called: "Wake Back To Bed" Should I only try one at a time or is the Wake Back To Bed alarm a good failsafe?

Method #1, doesn't seem to be working, because I don't really slip off to sleep, I don't hit sleep paral, I just start having more vivid thoughts then BOOM! I wake up to my 4:00 AM Alarm dreamless. Any tips on how to stay awake longer?

When laying perfectly still in an effort to coax my body to sleep, is it okay to swallow, or twitch your fingers to check if you are paralyzed?

My last lucid dream started with me in complete control, and then went horribly wrong. Is my subconscious telling me it wants to murder me with a hammer, or have I just been playing to much Hotline Miami?

I write fora small indie game that's not even announced yet, so I thought up this idea. To take some of the burden off of me, I could lucid dream, then create the exact same world I'm writing for, with the exact same main characters, watch how it all plays out, then simply write what I see. Is this to grand an idea or can I do it given time?

And finally, wake back to bed doesn't really work either because 75% of the time I will wind up waking up at 1:00 AM, or once I woke up 5 minutes before my alarm went off. Is this natural or does my body somehow know I want to wake up at a certain time so it wakes itself up?

Thanks for the help, assuming it comes!

Na1l3d1t

Re: A Few Noob Questions

Postby Na1l3d1t » 19 Mar 2015 06:14

Hello:)
When I want to lucid dream, I'll leave a light on or my iPad playing a movie that way something "interrupts" my sleep, allowing me to become conscious. It doesn't make for the best sleep of my life, but it does the trick almost every single time. I'll be asleep anywhere from .5-3 hours and then become aware. So I would advise trying something like that in the beginning until you can transition more easily.

I find it much more difficult to go from awake to lucid dreaming in one step----unless the sun is shining directly on my face haha...honestly, that works for me. So like I said, go for the "interruption," but I wouldn't choose something as disrupting and loud as an alarm...

About twitching and such...no, i wouldnt twitch or swallow...but I really don't think it would matter if you did, because if you are, you're probably not there yet. My advice....wait until a night when you are super tired, like barely keep your eyes open tired, then get comfortable in bed and stay awake, focus on something in the room...every few seconds, depending on how tired you are, open your eyes, but don't move, and continuously think about what you're focusing on... it will force your body to fall asleep before your mind. Don't keep your eyes closed longer than a few seconds if you're definitely about to fall asleep though.

I have negative, about to get murdered, kind of lucid dreams as well...I tend to think its your minds discomfort with your consciousness and instantly becoming negative because its unfamiliar. I would plan out what you're going to see...like the moment you hop out of your body to walk somewhere...like out your bedroom door like I do...tell yourself the beach is on the other side of that door. While you're awake focus on the beach [or your anime thing] being there...it'll be hard to come up with that while in the beginning of becoming lucid. So throughout the day, imagine the anime 'world' being on the other side of your door.
And stay positive. Always. Get excited, forget any fear of the unknown you may have.

I just made this username to find out more for myself...so far I've only learned on my own and have been having fun with my own dreams, so all my advice comes from my personal experiences and I'm no expert...everyone is different, but hopefully it helps you.

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 20 Mar 2015 04:08

Sleep paralyses can just be a consequence of the whole trying to WILD thing and isn't something to be aiming for as it can be more hinderance then help to many. Some who WILD never get sleep paralyses, its better just to enter straight into a LD rather then aim for side pits you may or may not get along the way.

The mind will sometimes naturally wake the body up if it knows a person wants to be awake at a certain time.

My last lucid dream started with me in complete control, and then went horribly wrong. Is my subconscious telling me it wants to murder me with a hammer,

I doubt that.. dream symbolism usually isn't literal and yes it could be due to computer games you've been playing.

Method #1, doesn't seem to be working, because I don't really slip off to sleep, I don't hit sleep paral, I just start having more vivid thoughts then BOOM! I wake up to my 4:00 AM Alarm dreamless. Any tips on how to stay awake longer?

Its not about needing to stay awake longer, its just a case of you not managing to keep your awareness while you are falling asleep. If this doesn't work for you it maybe the wrong technique for you or you may need to do other things with it eg awareness exercises during the daytime eg taking special focus on observing everything around you whenever you enter a new place or room, so you can hopefully be more aware when you enter into a dream and also getting into the habit of reality checking.

If you are waking up unable to remember dreams, it sounds as if you also should be working remembering dreams by keeping a dream journal, write something in this whenever you wake up even if it can be only just how you wake up feeling.

It sounds as if your issue may be more about inability to stay aware or become aware in your dreams and so things which help awareness in this case would need to be worked on.

To take some of the burden off of me, I could lucid dream, then create the exact same world I'm writing for, with the exact same main characters, watch how it all plays out, then simply write what I see. Is this to grand an idea

Its a good idea.
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

THE BATPOOL

Postby THE BATPOOL » 21 Mar 2015 05:08

Ah, one more thing I forgot, how about manual breathing? Does that count in the whole not moving thing?
Thanks for all the help!

Return to “For Beginners”