Lucid Issues

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
NeutiquamErro

Lucid Issues

Postby NeutiquamErro » 23 Mar 2015 20:55

I am a natural lucid dreamer. It generally occurs mainly when I am asleep for a shorter period of time, like during the day. I don't know why this is, and would like to. I think it might be the case that I have more trouble remembering my nighttime dreams.

But my main questions concern the actual experience. I discovered the door technique by myself. Basically, my dreams all begin in the same way: I am lying, either in space or in bed. With a great deal of effort I feel for my one reference point. At this point I generally can't see much or anything at all. I then get up, feel for the floor with my feet, take a few steps to the door of whatever room I am supposed to be in and open it. And then the actual dream begins.

My issues are simple: Firstly, I have great difficulty moving in all my lucid dreams. This does not apply in my non-lucid dreams. i basically have terrible balance and have trouble walking straight in my lucid dreams. Any ideas how to master this?

Next, I have trouble as far as controlling my environment is concerned. I had more success with this when younger, managing to control aspects of what's around me (I distinctly remember summoning Adriana Lima at one point), but not fully (In that instance, Adriana was arrested and there was nothing I could do). How can I control my environment better?

And finally, and chiefly, sight. In my dreams I tend to have to close my eyes, and gradually I can see as if they were open. When (in the dream, of course) i try to manually open them, they feel very heavy, and I either get a burst of very vivid sight or complete darkness. My sight in my dreams is my main issue, as I basically get to either see very gradually more and more, and then nothing, or very vivid for short periods of time. My main sense in getting around in my dreams is touch. If anyone can tell me how to see properly that would be brilliant.

Oh, and one more thing. Very often, in my lucid dreams, I begin spinning uncontrollably in empty space. I find it very hard and sometimes impossible to control. Any help with this either?

And finally, thanks if anyone can give me any ideas.

The Cusp

Re: Lucid Issues

Postby The Cusp » 24 Mar 2015 00:38

NeutiquamErro wrote:With a great deal of effort I feel for my one reference point.

Good instincts. That's the solution to all your control problems. The dream forms around your focused attention. The trick to control is to choose your reference points. Habitually, attention is largely directed visually, but you can use mental imagery or even words, which is why shouted commands (often) work in lucids dreams.

Practice using single reference or inference points putting varying degrees of focus on them to see what happens. Then try holding more than one.

The difference between being able to reliably predict (to varying degrees) the outcome of the inference points you use and how random the outcome will be is determined by how well defined that concept is for you on a personal level. A Harry Potter fan will be better able to use wands for magic in dreams for example.

NeutiquamErro wrote:My issues are simple: Firstly, I have great difficulty moving in all my lucid dreams. This does not apply in my non-lucid dreams. i basically have terrible balance and have trouble walking straight in my lucid dreams. Any ideas how to master this?

There's two approaches you could take here.

The first is ignore your body completely. The only thing you really need to move around is your attention, which you do by latching onto from one inference point to the next. Regular dreams progress like this as well, on the selection process is guided by pure novelty, by how interesting or scary or cool it is. Once that reference point loses it's appeal or a shinier one appear, we just jump from one to the next. It's a process I like to call "archetypal chaining".

The other is to take the time to make your body more real by focusing on it. Again, you had the answer all along with reference points. Find some body related reference points to focus on. Feel yourself all over with your hands. Take note of the temperature of the air on your skin (when's the last time you noticed temperature in a dream?). Engage your senses. The sense of taste in particular, which isn't often active in dreams. All this will reconnect you with your body, and should fix your movement problems.

Oh yeah, one last thing that's worked for me. Sometimes that slowness gets so bad it makes me feel really tired in my lucid dream, and I just lay down and go to sleep in the dream. In the dream which results from that, my slowness from before is always gone.

NeutiquamErro wrote:And finally, and chiefly, sight. In my dreams I tend to have to close my eyes, and gradually I can see as if they were open. When (in the dream, of course) i try to manually open them, they feel very heavy, and I either get a burst of very vivid sight or complete darkness. My sight in my dreams is my main issue, as I basically get to either see very gradually more and more, and then nothing, or very vivid for short periods of time. My main sense in getting around in my dreams is touch. If anyone can tell me how to see properly that would be brilliant.

Honestly, it sounds like you need to get used to the fact that your body is not you in a dream. You're trapped between the freedom of the dream and the limitations of your physical body. Once you start using reference points as a means of control and travel, that your "self image" issues will probably start clearing up.

NeutiquamErro wrote:Oh, and one more thing. Very often, in my lucid dreams, I begin spinning uncontrollably in empty space. I find it very hard and sometimes impossible to control. Any help with this either?

Ok, you've got me stumped on that one. How about, don't do that? :) But that's my standard advice when it comes to spinning. :)

Peter

Postby Peter » 24 Mar 2015 02:01

Oh, and one more thing. Very often, in my lucid dreams, I begin spinning uncontrollably in empty space. I find it very hard and sometimes impossible to control. Any help with this either?

I find this is natural if I am in what I call the space between dreams and allow myself or what represents some form of me to just relax. I will slowly rotate more that spin and sometimes on two axis. It can be disturbing at first but normally ends up in a rush and if remain in the dream it will settle and you will be in another place and can just carry on.
Who are you I asked, the reply "dont be silly, we are your daughers" many years before they were born

buildit

Postby buildit » 24 Mar 2015 03:26

I think if I had some of the issues described by the OP, I'd think it was a simple lack of lucidity and control in the dream. Although I can't say I've ever really had any of those to the best of my memory.
Is Lucid Dreaming the brains preparation for the next step of human evolution when we can escape the corporeal bond of our bodies?

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”