My introduction

Drop a line here to introduce yourself! Let us know your background, where you're from in the world, your lucid goals.
johnmayson

My introduction

Postby johnmayson » 25 Mar 2015 19:02

Hello all. My name is John. I'm 45 and live in Texas in the US.

I have had vivid dreams for as long as I can remember and have always had excellent dream recall. It seems like if anyone should be able to have a lucid dream it's me, but I haven't. I've known about lucid dreaming for at least 20 years and am still trying.

Part of my problem is my dreams are so literal and lifelike. I'll dream I'm at work doing my job. I look at my watch. It's normal. It's 3:42 PM. I look at it again. It's still normal and now it's 3:43 PM. My manager calls me. I respond to an email. Everything is very normal. It's not until I wake up that I realize I had been dreaming.

I hope to learn more here.

John

Peter

Re: My introduction

Postby Peter » 25 Mar 2015 19:13

Hi, I think that the dreams do get to that normal state after a lot of years and so it is hard. You need to get into some sort of reality checking routine and see if that triggers you to check in the dreams. I dont really like reality checks but they are effective so have a go at that
Who are you I asked, the reply "dont be silly, we are your daughers" many years before they were born

johnmayson

Postby johnmayson » 25 Mar 2015 19:20

Thanks. I do perform reality checks. Not everyday, but during periods, such as now, when I'm trying to lucid dream again.

Even when I was younger I didn't quite comprehend what people were talking about when they mentioned reality checks. I'm supposed to see my watch running backwards or my hand has 7 fingers or there's an ocelot in a tuxedo hiding under my desk. But I get none of that. :?

One sliver of hope is travel. I do travel frequently as part of my job. A few times a year I'll find myself, say, in Malaysia. I'll start to think and realize I never submitted a travel request, I don't remember flying over, and I don't know why I'm there. But since I'm there often in waking life I shrug it off and figure my employer sent me for a reason and I'm just not remembering it. If I can catch myself there I suppose I have a chance.

jasmine2

Postby jasmine2 » 26 Mar 2015 02:41

johnmayson,
Here are some ideas which may help trigger lucidity in dreams.

In the waking world, you could practice a new skill, such as juggling bean bags, which requires strong focus on the kinesthetic sense.

Or you could download a picture of some magic-appearing object, like King Tut's golden mask, and keep this near your bed.

Then before you go to sleep, imagine that when you are dreaming, you will start juggling and become very aware of your hand and body sensations, or you'll notice someone else juggling, or you will see a vivid image of King Tut's mask. Remind yourself during the day, that any of these events in a dream will trigger lucidity.

- jasmine2

aniwa1234

Postby aniwa1234 » 17 Apr 2015 14:45

hi john,

when you mentioned malaysia...i was happy as i am from malaysia.....nice reading your intro.....do read mine.....have a nice day

ani

johnmayson

Postby johnmayson » 17 Apr 2015 15:13

Ok ok ok lah! :-)

I've spent a lot of time in Penang, but have also visited KL.

Peter

Postby Peter » 18 Apr 2015 19:59

One reality check I liked when I was using them was to rub my hand on rock. If I was in a new city I would just rub the big foundation stones on a building or pick up a pebble and feel while thinking about its history.
This often came out in a dream and I would be touching a rock and then question if I was dreaming.
In rubbing the rock I would be feeling it but also trying to put my hands into the rock and seeing if I could and then know if I was dreaming or not
Who are you I asked, the reply "dont be silly, we are your daughers" many years before they were born

johnmayson

Postby johnmayson » 18 Apr 2015 20:11

A few nights ago I dreamed I was using a really old computer (something from the early 1980s). But I could read the text just fine and it wasn't doing anything weird. So I thought nothing of it.

I also had a dream that a friend of mine in Missouri got pi for a phone number. (314) 159-2653. I knew this was wrong because the first number after the area code couldn't be a 0 or a 1. But it wasn't enough to make me realize I was dreaming.

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 19 Apr 2015 03:41

The best reality check is to take a moment and forget all the nonsense and ask yourself a very simple question: "How did I get here, and what was I doing five minutes ago?" That's the mindset you want.

It doesn't always happen, but that's what it's like when I become lucid in a dream sometimes. I just think, "Wait a minute! Hold the phone! What the hell's going on here?" I don't have to tell you how easy it is for our minds to come up with a reason so readily in a dream. They pop out of nowhere and we justify why we're eating lasagna off the back of a rhinoceros at Disney Land next to an ocelot in a tuxedo. And carry on.

But you need to really question, not the situation, but your own mind and memory. Take a step back. I do that when awake a lot too. I love doing that when in a crowded room with everyone yammering on about sports, news and celebrities. I just step back, watch and soak it in. I'm not a part of it. That's how it feels like in a dream, when I just step out of the insanity of it all and take a good look, not with my eyes, but with my questioning mind.

(P.S. What makes you so special to have all those extra buttons and links on your profile at the right?) :lol:
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 19 Apr 2015 03:51

I just figured out my last question. You can add those when you 'edit profile'. I get it now.

I found a reasonable explanation and figured it out with ease. That's a sign I'm not dreaming... or am I? Sometimes you have to check twice. ;)
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

Return to “Introduce Yourself”