Need some help on Lucid Dreaming

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.
kingjulien22

Need some help on Lucid Dreaming

Postby kingjulien22 » 28 Mar 2015 10:09

Hi, I'm Elijah, and I am new to both this site and lucid dreaming. I recently found out about this thing, and being able to control your dream and everything in it eventually, sounds mesmerezing. I found about LD's about almost a week ago, and since then I became obssesed on having one.

I researched a lot, found out about MILD, WILD, Reality Checks (I do the fingers through palms one many times a day) and haven't got a sleep journal yet, but ill get one. I fairly remember quite a lot of bits of my dreams, as they are quite weird. However, i've been trying to LD. I tried MILD the first 2 nights, but didnt quite work, then decided to try a WILD, obsvering my hypnagogia and all that. But I fell asleep during then :oops: . Recently, as I was browsing reddit I stumbled across a post about lucid dreaming http://www.reddit.com/r/LucidDreaming/comments/1z5mwv/lucid_dreaming_method_i_use_and_successfully/

Bassicaly, the guy in there suggested i go to sleep, and just visualise my every limb going to sleep, until I reach the head. Basically, induce my limbs and all in S.Paralyzis. I didn't hope it would work, but the thing is, it's the closest i got to a sensation. The first time i tried this method, I succesfully paralyzed all my limbs, chest, and somehow even my head. For a good 30 secs, my eyes kinda started to try to pry themselves open, but I kept them closed. Then, i think the head fell asleep too, because I experienced something I never experienced before. It was this feeling: i couldnt feel my body and I was still awake, but it was like I was floating. Not knowing what to do from there, I guess is just fell asleep after a while.

What was that? Could I have entered a LD from that? Should I have started visualising when i reached the floaty state?

I know its a long post but If someone could read and offer and answer, and maybe advices, pls feel free to help me! :roll:

Cheers.

DataTunnel

Re: Need some help on Lucid Dreaming

Postby DataTunnel » 29 Mar 2015 00:03

Hey! I'll try and answer some of your questions:

When you use the WILD method, you are essentially letting your physical body fall asleep, while your mind stays awake. The problem with the WILD method is it's extremely difficult to pull off.

I've been practicing LDing for roughly 6 years, and I've only successfully WILDed twice, and neither of those LDs ended up lasting very long. WILD is hard because it takes incredible focus. You have to stay completely still, not let your thoughts wander too far and it takes a long time (usually around an hour to an hour and a half for me).

I think most beginner lucid dreamers gravitate towards WILD because it seems like the most favorable method (my first LD attempts were all using WILD) In other words, it isn't left up to chance like when you just happen to realize you're in a dream or you use a reality check. WILD is very deliberate, you're literally conjuring a dream from your waking state.

I think the floaty state you're speaking of is when you're right on the verge of sleep paralysis, right before your body "disappears" and your mind takes over. The moment where your body fully falls asleep and your mind takes over is very recognizable. For me, it feels as if I'm falling or my body is being compressed. It's like someone turned up the gravity in my bedroom from 1 to 10 out of nowhere. This all happens in the span of maybe 5 seconds and can be frightening. First I feel the pressure, then my body fades away and as soon as I can't feel my body, I'm in a dream environment without even having to visualize. Much easier said than done. Remember, the goal is not sleep paralysis, the goal is a LD. Sleep paralysis can get you there, but is not necessary.

What I would recommend for you:

- Try the WBTB (Wake Back To Bed) method. This is where you wake yourself up in the morning at a specific time, stay up for 30-45 minutes, and then go back to sleep with the intention to have a LD. It's not convenient if you work or go to school, I know, but this is the method I've had most success with.

-You said you're doing reality checks, and that's great. RCs have produced many lucid experiences for me. Keep those going.

- Definitely get the dream journal! This is without a doubt one of the most important things you can do to increase you're LD ability. When you spend time writing your dreams down it helps to condition your brain to do it more often. Once you get a dream diary going, you will notice lucid dreams happening to you much more, sometimes without even trying!

- Keep practicing WILD, but don't count on this method alone. Try some other methods because as I said earlier- the WILD method seems like the most desirable one to master, but it is really difficult to do successfully on a regular basis.

Sorry for the long ramble, I hope I answered some of your questions in here! :mrgreen:

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 29 Mar 2015 04:33

kingjulien22 wrote: Bassicaly, the guy in there suggested i go to sleep, and just visualise my every limb going to sleep, until I reach the head. Basically, induce my limbs and all in S.Paralyzis. I didn't hope it would work, but the thing is, it's the closest i got to a sensation. The first time i tried this method, I succesfully paralyzed all my limbs, chest, and somehow even my head. For a good 30 secs, my eyes kinda started to try to pry themselves open, but I kept them closed. Then, i think the head fell asleep too, because I experienced something I never experienced before. It was this feeling: i couldnt feel my body and I was still awake, but it was like I was floating. Not knowing what to do from there, I guess is just fell asleep after a while.

The issue with aiming for a SP state is that one can go into dreaming and not became aware you've done so and hence then miss having a good LD. eg when your eyes started to try to pry themselves open but you were keeping them closed, how do you know you haven't already entered into a dream at that point? (maybe you were dreaming at that point of laying on bed and your eyes starting to open). Maybe it was your dream eyes you were actually feeling and not your real ones.

What we think we often create into our dream so if you are laying there thinking about wanting to be paralysed in your bed, that can happen (but cause its still on your bed, the fact a dream has been gone into can be missed).

Having the right degree of body relaxation though or a sleep state is essential for having a LD eg a person will often go through a stage where ones body doesn't feel normal eg floating, extremely heavy, energy movement or whatever (or some simply just fall asleep and straight into a LD state when trying to WILD). You do not have to aim for a SP state to get into a good body relaxation state.

What was that? Could I have entered a LD from that? Should I have started visualising when i reached the floaty state?

To have a LD one sometimes has to allow oneself to go to sleep and using ones mind more can stop a person from entering that sleep state.. HOWEVER for some visualising can help. It all depends on the persons balance between their subconsciousness and consciousness, you need the right balance to enter a dream and stay there. Only you yourself can figure out how much thinking or purposeful imagining you can do to a point you can go asleep and enter into a dream.

Often though if one is feeling like a floaty state.. allow your mind to go along with the state.. really allow yourself to feel what this feels like and you may want to think of floating higher. (I suggest in this case to try not to think of your physical body but rather focus on the floaty body).

DataTunnel wrote:I've been practicing LDing for roughly 6 years, and I've only successfully WILDed twice, and neither of those LDs ended up lasting very long. WILD is hard because it takes incredible focus. You have to stay completely still, not let your thoughts wander too far and it takes a long time (usually around an hour to an hour and a half for me).

If its taking you that long to get into a WILD it means you are either focusing too hard and not allowing your mind to start drifting during the WILD or you are far too wide awake when doing this. It doesn't need to take much longer then a person takes to get to sleep, I always tell people if you are still awake after an hour, you are doing something wrong with this (usually its the person holding too much focus).

From your comment I assume you are making this common mistake of over focusing and hence keeping the mind too awake and hence then stopping subconciousness or dream expression to start happening. You aren't successfully having WILDs as you aren't mentally relaxing enough. One way to help with that problem is WBTB (but maybe not stay awake for long).

My formula for having a WILD is Right body state + Right mind state (mix of consciousness and subconsciousness) = WILD (if there is enough awareness still on sleep entry).

Anyone having issues should think about their balance of things, are I physically relaxed enough? Are I mentally relaxed enough (mind starting to drift)? or is my mind over drifting at the point ready for sleep (going into a sleep state unaware).

king.. start keeping records of your dreams as it can be important for a LD. It isn't just a matter of keeping a journal to aid in dream memory but also cause it helps to signal to your subconsciousness that you have an interest in your dreams and that they are important to you. (Your subconsciousness can help wake you up during a dream). It can help you to have focus on your dreams during dreaming.

Also be patient, be prepared to be doing things for several weeks before thinking that it don't work for you or just isn't doing enough to trigger by itself.
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

kingjulien22

Postby kingjulien22 » 29 Mar 2015 09:30

Thank you all for the comments and for taking your time to answer and help a newbie.
I will definitly keep in mind what you are saying and I'll definitely start a dream journal. And no. I will not give up until i have a LD.

However, there is something else I want to check with you. In your first times, have you also started with MILD? I have a friend that MILD-ed for the first time in forever, after only repeating to himself a couple of times ''I will lucid dream''. He didnt get huge control but he was able to LD a little for the first time.

I ommited this yesterday, on the original post upwards, but my first try was also MILD. I basically sat in bed and kept repeating in my head ''I will lucid dream tonight'' ''I will be aware in my dreams tonight''. And then the night came, and it was kinda weird. I had this wierd dream, but with no action. There was a phone booth in the middle of a blurry city-like enviorment, and inside the phone booth, sitting, not talking on the phone was a man. He was shadowy-like and i couldn't see him very well. Looked like some kind of evil spirit. Suddenly, i asked myself then.'' Wait. I must be dreaming.''

Then something strange happened. All around me the everything magnified and became a little more clear, like I was looking through a magnifiying glass. I sat and watched the shadow figure for a couple more seconds then I woke up.

Was this a LD? Should I try MILD again?

DataTunnel

Postby DataTunnel » 30 Mar 2015 03:30

kingjulien22 wrote:Then something strange happened. All around me the everything magnified and became a little more clear, like I was looking through a magnifiying glass. I sat and watched the shadow figure for a couple more seconds then I woke up.

This sounds like the beginning of an LD, yes. Your first few lucid dreams probably will not last that long, I know mine didn't. I would realize I was dreaming and get so excited I would wake up every time.

But the fact that you realized you were dreaming in the actual dream is a huge step in the right direction. This means you're on the right track. If MILD worked for you, keep it up!

I would also recommend trying out any other LD method you come across (WBTB, WILD, FILD) and see which works best for you. Most of the time I'll use a combination of WBTB and WILD. If you can get a routine going and get one or more of these methods down + keeping the dream journal, you're golden 8-)

oneironaut.ld

Postby oneironaut.ld » 01 Apr 2015 06:03

I do that sometimes too haha. I lay completely still for about 2 hours. I'll start spinning, floating, rotating, etc. I'm completely new to this forum and lucid dreaming as well! I haven't successfully pulled this technique off, but I think I got pretty close. I felt a huge wave of electricity go through my back while I was doing this. I went from seeing basic moving shapes to this crazy looking kaleidoscope type thing. It freaked me out so I opened my eyes. I ended up not being able to sleep that night no matter how tired I was. I suppose I caused myself to get insomnia. Does anybody have a clue what this was, how to turn it into a lucid dream, and how I can stay in it? I'm pretty sure it's a mixture of sleep paralysis and hypnagogia, but I have no clue.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 02 Apr 2015 08:14

kingjulien22 wrote:Thank you all for the comments and for taking your time to answer and help a newbie.
I will definitly keep in mind what you are saying and I'll definitely start a dream journal. And no. I will not give up until i have a LD.

However, there is something else I want to check with you. In your first times, have you also started with MILD? I have a friend that MILD-ed for the first time in forever, after only repeating to himself a couple of times ''I will lucid dream''. He didnt get huge control but he was able to LD a little for the first time.

I ommited this yesterday, on the original post upwards, but my first try was also MILD. I basically sat in bed and kept repeating in my head ''I will lucid dream tonight'' ''I will be aware in my dreams tonight''. And then the night came, and it was kinda weird. I had this wierd dream, but with no action. There was a phone booth in the middle of a blurry city-like enviorment, and inside the phone booth, sitting, not talking on the phone was a man. He was shadowy-like and i couldn't see him very well. Looked like some kind of evil spirit. Suddenly, i asked myself then.'' Wait. I must be dreaming.''

Then something strange happened. All around me the everything magnified and became a little more clear, like I was looking through a magnifiying glass. I sat and watched the shadow figure for a couple more seconds then I woke up.

If you knew you were dreaming it is a LD and yes, if MILD works for you, stick with it for a while. Better keeping yourself in the "I can do this" kind of frame of mind then messing with other techniques at this point of time which may or may not work for you.

The dream became clearer as it was symbolising your mind becoming clearer and gaining more clarity.

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 02 Apr 2015 08:18

oneironaut.ld wrote:I do that sometimes too haha. I lay completely still for about 2 hours. I'll start spinning, floating, rotating, etc. I'm completely new to this forum and lucid dreaming as well! I haven't successfully pulled this technique off, but I think I got pretty close. I felt a huge wave of electricity go through my back while I was doing this. I went from seeing basic moving shapes to this crazy looking kaleidoscope type thing. It freaked me out so I opened my eyes. I ended up not being able to sleep that night no matter how tired I was. I suppose I caused myself to get insomnia. Does anybody have a clue what this was, how to turn it into a lucid dream, and how I can stay in it? I'm pretty sure it's a mixture of sleep paralysis and hypnagogia, but I have no clue.

Sleep paralyses is when someone tries to move but finds they cant so this what you experienced isn't called sleep paralyses. You had hypnagogia. To possibly get a LD, next time don't get freaked and open your eyes. You could also try to do things like imagine yourself floating upwards to try to disconnect yourself from your physical body or try travelling into the kaleidoscope.. that probably could of been a good dream entry. If you can interact with things you see (kaleidoscope), you may find yourself in the dream faster. If you are spinning, you've already entered a dream state but just not acting on it.

oneironaut.ld

Postby oneironaut.ld » 02 Apr 2015 21:44

@taniaaust1
How exactly would I create a lucid dream once I enter hypnagogia?

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 05 Apr 2015 18:45

oneironaut.ld wrote:@taniaaust1
How exactly would I create a lucid dream once I enter hypnagogia?

Just like how we use our minds while in a LD to create things into the dream, same can for some people be done with hypnagogia (note I'm not saying for all as for some it would instead pull them away from a LD state due to using their waking mind too much before they are ready enough to enter into a LD). You just need to imagine and believe things. eg moving into the kaleidoscope

I rarely get HI but when I have I've often used it to help me enter into a dream, it doesn't matter to me what kind of HI I get, I can usually use it in some way to help me enter the dream (how I use it all depends on what it is and whatever I think of at the time).

I'll give an example of one of the times I did this. I got a HI image (I get the HI outside of myself like floating there) of an inch wide patch of colour, it wasn't moving, it wasn't doing anything at all, just this tiny patch of colour in the air.

So what I did with that is I imagined myself getting closer and closer to it and thought of it getting larger. Suddenly I was in a dream and that patch of colour become the wall paper of the room around me.

If you get something like spinning, you can imagine it growing and pulling you into it as it spins. Another thing I'd do with kaleidoscope if I got that would be to stare within it and try to look for scenes within it and try to move into that. (just use your mind in a relaxed manner to do these things)

Return to “For Beginners”