My first lucid dream - questions!

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.
oneironaut.ld

My first lucid dream - questions!

Postby oneironaut.ld » 30 Mar 2015 16:55

I was pretty exhausted the other day. I woke up at 10am, ate breakfast, and ended up falling asleep at around 11:30am. I remember falling asleep. I'm not sure how this happened exactly, but I begin to see a hallway in my house form. I believed I was in the hallway, and all of a sudden I was. I tried to move my head and I could. After I moved my head, I realized that I was dreaming. I walked into my kitchen and saw my sister. She handed me a plate of food. I was stoked to explore the dream world, so I tried to jump through the roof. I hit it repeatedly but couldn't go through it. I ran back and forth throughout the house at really fast speeds. I was 100% sure I was dreaming. I remember walking to my room and trying to turn on the light. Nothing happened. I tried changing night time to day time, that didn't work either. I also demanded light but that didn't work. Lastly, I demanded clarity. I felt more focused. I walked back into the kitchen and looked at my hands. It seemed like they were moving at an insanely fast speed and I couldn't count my fingers. I tried pushing my finger through my hand but I woke up to me pushing my bed. Why did I wake up when I tried to do a reality check? And why didn't I wake up when I did all of those other things? The dream lasted about 30 seconds, I did a reality check, and I woke up. Also, how did I enter this dream?

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Fira

Re: My first lucid dream - questions!

Postby Fira » 30 Mar 2015 21:21

Why did I wake up when I tried to do a reality check? And why didn't I wake up when I did all of those other things? The dream lasted about 30 seconds, I did a reality check, and I woke up. Also, how did I enter this dream?

Okay, what it sounds like to me is that you woke up because you were too excited, "moving around the house at fast speeds and trying to go through the roof." For a lot of people, it takes a lot of practice to control aspects of the dream world. You were probably trying to do to much too quickly.

My advice for you is that when you enter your next lucid dream, don't try to do anything insane. Just stand still, look around, and maybe feel things. Put your hand on a wall and really feel it, feel how real it is. Study whatever its made of and the detail it has. Then go on to look at a table or the floor or a counter-top, etc. Just really focus on your surroundings and remind yourself over and over that you are dreaming. This will help stabilize you in your dream world so that you don't drift off and become non-lucid or wake yourself up.

As for why the Reality Check didn't work, not all reality checks work for all people. Since pushing your fingers through your hand didn't work, I would suggest trying a new reality check, like plugging your nose, closing your mouth, and attempting to breathe still.

And your question about HOW you entered the dream, it sounds like you just had a DILD -- A Dream Induced Lucid Dream, where it happened just because. You were exhausted and went to sleep, and you must have just HAPPENED to realize you were dreaming.

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 01 Apr 2015 02:25

I have a different view them the other who replied. Seeing you managed to do all those other things without waking up and you were doing something more boring (a simple reality check and you didn't even experience a result to give you any excitement from it) when you awoke so it doesn't really seem like it was the excitement itself which woke you.

As the other said though, certain reality checks are not for everyone and I suggest you avoid doing this one in the future.

I've got two thoughts of why this reality check may of woke you up. I'm wondering if this reality check woke you up as you had focus on a small body part and of moving it through something else. I wonder that as to bring one out of a sleep paralyses state (a state we are all usually in when dreaming), the best way is to focus on a small body part and move it eg focus on a finger or toe. You say you actually were physically pushing on the bed when you awoke, so I'm going to assume this reality check with focus on a small body part, broke your sleep paralyses state and may of hence then caused you to wake up as it caused a physical body part to move (and as soon as that happens a person's sleep goes less deep.

Another thing.. it could of also been too much thinking over the state you were in which woke you up (or a combo of these two things). You needlessly did a reality check when you knew you were dreaming. Instead of focusing on your dream and having fun, you were in your head with thoughts, more concerned with "are I awake or not" though you knew you were asleep. It often doesn't help LD when we know we are in a dream but are on some level refusing to accept it or keep trying to hold onto doubts. Constant questioning (thinking too much) can cause a LD loss (or the doubts can cause one to go the opposite way and into a non lucid dream)

I personally though think that as this reality check caused your physical body to move, this was probably the thing which caused you to loose this dream. Maybe a reality check like trying to float, looking back and forth at a clock expecting time to go weird rather then moving a small body part like fingers or toes, would be more suitable in your case.

I woke up at 10am, ate breakfast, and ended up falling asleep at around 11:30am.

You may of found your better state to have LDs. A time when you aren't overly tired but still sleepy often can be a good time. (You may want to experiment with WILD at such times.. if you can allow your mind to also drift off into a nap).
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

oneironaut.ld

Postby oneironaut.ld » 01 Apr 2015 05:39

@Fira @taniaaust1
Thank you guys for your quick replies. I'll try looking at clocks and words instead, and I have another question. Ever since I had that dream 2 days ago, I've slept about 4 times. But for some reason, I cannot recall any dream I've had since the lucid dream. Is this normal? I had really good dream recall. I remembered about 3 or 4 per night before the lucid dream, and now I can't remember anything. How would I be able to fix this?

oneironaut.ld

Postby oneironaut.ld » 01 Apr 2015 05:42

Also, another thing. I've been setting an alarm 180 minutes after I fall asleep. The alarm is my own recorded voice saying "You're in a dream. Do a reality check and become fully lucid. This is all a dream."

My problem with this is, I can't seem to hear it when I'm asleep haha. I've tried maxing the volume, wearing earphones, etc. Nothing works. Should I just give up on this? And if so, what technique should I try next?

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 02 Apr 2015 06:52

oneironaut.ld wrote:Also, another thing. I've been setting an alarm 180 minutes after I fall asleep. The alarm is my own recorded voice saying "You're in a dream. Do a reality check and become fully lucid. This is all a dream."

My problem with this is, I can't seem to hear it when I'm asleep haha. I've tried maxing the volume, wearing earphones, etc. Nothing works. Should I just give up on this? And if so, what technique should I try next?

Sounds like you must be sleeping extremely deeply, maybe that could be why you aren't remembering your dreams either last few days?? (I personally think its probably just a coincident why you cant remember your dreams at all since you had a LD as I cant think of any reason why that would cause that issue).

Check out the rest of the website here for various techniques etc. Rebecca has a lot of good info
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

Return to “For Beginners”