Asking the Gods/Goddesses to Help Me Lucid Dream

For all other chat which isn't directly related to lucid dreaming and the world of sleep and dreams.
Fira

Asking the Gods/Goddesses to Help Me Lucid Dream

Postby Fira » 31 Mar 2015 02:50

So I'm Christian/Pagan. (I know it's a weird mix.) And yesterday I went through a long list of Gods and Goddesses from a multitude of Pantheons, looking for ones associated with a) dreams/visions and b) overcoming obstacles. Then I created a personal prayer, asking for their help, going down the list of Deities one at a time. I asked the ones who are associated with overcoming obstacles to remove any obstacles that might be blocking me from having a lucid dream. I asked the ones associated with dreaming and visions to help me achieve lucidity.

Today, I broke up with my boyfriend. We are still determined to be friends and such. However, he and I have been thinking that it's better if we step back from romance because we just don't seem right for each other in that aspect. But we've been holding off actually breaking up for fear that we were jumping to conclusions. I just think it's interesting that the day after I pray to the Gods to help me remove obstacles that are blocking me from lucid dreaming, that I broke up with my boyfriend.

What do you guys think?

Summerlander

Re: Asking the Gods/Goddesses to Help Me Lucid Dream

Postby Summerlander » 31 Mar 2015 09:56

I think it was just a coincidence. Your boyfriend may well have been a distraction when it came to the practice of lucid dreaming, but I don't believe you broke up with him because gods made it happen. Think about the waking life circumstances, your thoughts at the time, your feelings, and the exchange of words between you leading up to the breakup while your memory is still fresh. The real reasons will be found which do not require the hypothesised supernatural influence.

Sorry to contradict your beliefs but I think a dialectic here may convince you to thoroughly assess tangible factors instead of allowing yourself to be quixotically drawn in to the realm of pantheons where Morpheus's powers extend beyond the dream world.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

Fira

Postby Fira » 31 Mar 2015 17:23

I'm not saying it happened for completely religious/supernatural reasons. I'm saying that I think the Gods may have given me a slight push in the right direction, is all.

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 31 Mar 2015 18:12

You may have inadvertently, through prayer, connected with your inner self, asking your subconscious to reveal the answers you seek, and make some tough decisions in your life.

That's another possibility is it not?

Whether you believe it's due to external forces from Gods/Godesses, or tapping into your inner psychological archetypes, The Wise Old Man/Great Mother, your main quest is to lucid dream and I wish you success no matter which path you choose, or how you find your goal in the end.
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 31 Mar 2015 18:54

Your own subconscious, holding viable possibilities or having thought processes quite unusual for the conscious mind, could have nudged you in the right direction. The breakup is more plausibly imputed to Jungian archetypes as suggested by Hagart. Keep your credulity in check. Don't let it get out of hand.

"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

DesertExplorer

Postby DesertExplorer » 01 Apr 2015 15:42

What are the names of the deities you prayed to that night?
Life is hard. Then you die. Then they throw dirt in your face. Then the worms eat you. Be grateful it happens in that order.

~David Gerrold

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 01 Apr 2015 23:13

Was Morpheus one of them?

- Padmasambhava

DesertExplorer

Postby DesertExplorer » 01 Apr 2015 23:21

Summerlander wrote:Was Morpheus one of them?

Do you believe in him, Summerlander?
Life is hard. Then you die. Then they throw dirt in your face. Then the worms eat you. Be grateful it happens in that order.

~David Gerrold

deschainXIX

Postby deschainXIX » 01 Apr 2015 23:35

I'm wondering how exactly one can be both a pagan and a Christian. You do know that the (rather Lovecraftian) deity of the Christian testaments is self-proclaimed to be murderously jealous of humans--it seems that nearly every other book is littered with strangely revealing admonitions to "not worship other gods." I find this particular injunction interesting because it seems to bear the connotative admission that other deities (or man-invented phantasms) do indeed exist; while our modern Christian friends swagger the "revelation," which is that the Triune Godhead is the one true supernatural entity, and that all other gods simply are spurious fabrications.

I suppose you're not a particularly strange case, however. I've met people who say they believe in both Yahweh and Lucifer--but choose to "side" with neither one. It's bemusing to say the least.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Well said.

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 01 Apr 2015 23:42

Yeah. I believe in Morpheus. He is the lord of dreams. I pray to him every night in order to have adventurous lucid dreams. But he's been ignoring me lately. :mrgreen:

Here is a pertinent quote:

"Thus we call a belief an illusion when a wish-fulfillment is a prominent factor in its motivation, and in doing so we disregard its relations to reality just as the illusion itself sets no store by verification."

Sigmund Freud; "The Future of an Illusion" 8-)

- Padmasambhava

Return to “Off-Topic”