Partial lucid dreaming

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.
speed5019

Partial lucid dreaming

Postby speed5019 » 31 Mar 2015 03:09

So I think I had a partial lucid dream last night and now I just realized that I've been having them for years without knowing they're lucid dream (partial). So here is kinda how my dream went. We had shoes that allowed us to jump really high in our dream and me and my friend had to escape our backyard from the whatever that was chasing us. Just when it was about to get us I said "This is MY dream, I can do what I want", I didn't achieve full lucidity but i did realize i was dreaming. For example getting myself an electron blade was easy peasy and i think the reason for that was because it was a partial lucid dream. I even rubbed my hands together which helped a little. But i wasn't full lucid dreaming because I didn't have all my senses active, only sight and maybe (just maybe) hearing. Also I didn't have my full brain on and i know this because I didn't remember or think everything. For example, i knew i was lying in my bed but i didn't know how to add or subtract and i didn't even remember about my real life or my dream journal or anything. All i remembered is that i was lying in my bed and i can do some simple actions like getting myself stuff. I know if it was a full lucid dream i would've first remembered my goal to eat a pizza slice and then my secondary goal to spin around. My question is how to WILD properly and step by step, also all the feelings involved in WILD'ing. The techniques i tried is FILD and MILD, and yes, i tried WILD too but i never make it to hypnogogic imagery or a dream state or even sleep paralysis no matter how much I learn about them or how much tutorials i try. MILD is what i tried last night and i just wrote the outcome. I want to master WILD so I could achieve full lucidity because MILD didn't do that for me. Thanks for all your help people.

DataTunnel

Re: Partial lucid dreaming

Postby DataTunnel » 01 Apr 2015 01:56

speed5019 wrote:My question is how to WILD properly and step by step, also all the feelings involved in WILD'ing. The techniques i tried is FILD and MILD, and yes, i tried WILD too but i never make it to hypnogogic imagery or a dream state or even sleep paralysis no matter how much I learn about them or how much tutorials i try. MILD is what i tried last night and i just wrote the outcome. I want to master WILD so I could achieve full lucidity because MILD didn't do that for me. Thanks for all your help people.

If you want to learn WILD, I would suggest practicing some meditation techniques. Meditation and lucid dreaming go hand in hand. By that I mean, practicing one gets you better at the other. When I try to WILD, the sensation I get is VERY similar to meditation.

I am not an expert on the WILD technique, but I have pulled it off a few times. The goal of the WILD technique is to allow your body to fall asleep, and all the while keeping your mind awake. It is one of the most difficult lucid dreaming techniques, so don't beat yourself up if you mess up a few times.

Here's what I do:

- I always lay on my back when I do WILD (I read somewhere that it's easier to have a lucid dream when you lay on your back, not sure why though. Also, I usually sleep on my side- whenever I try to WILD on my side, I fall asleep too quickly and it doesn't work, so I usually stick with sleeping flat on my back.)

- I make sure I'm fully comfortable. I stay completely still and let my body fully relax. If I'm tense in any muscle or limb, I try to relax it the best I can.

- Let your thoughts wander, but NOT TOO FAR. Don't try too hard to control your thoughts, because you'll never fall asleep. Allow your mind to think what it wants and just go with the flow, but you have to have a certain amount of focus. If you don't focus enough, your mind will wander too far and eventually you'll be fully unconscious. If you focus too much, you won't sleep. You have to focus just enough to stay conscious, but not so much that you can't sleep. Easier said than done! :lol:

- After a while (maybe 10-20 min.), your body will start to feel sort of floaty and numb and your mind will be wandering more. This is where most people (including myself) lose focus and fall fully asleep. Just keep still and keep your mind on track. You can try visualization at this point or just think about Lucid dreaming to keep your mind going. Math problems can also help to keep the logic centers in your brain awake.

- By 30-40 minutes in, your body should be on the verge of falling asleep. By now, your body is fully relaxed and you can feel a separation between your mind and body. At this point, you may experience hypnagogic imagery, or you may not. Just because you don't experience a form of hypnagogic imagery doesn't mean you're off track. For me, hypnagogic imagery is pretty rare.

- By 40-60 minutes, your body will be ready to fall asleep. If you can manage to keep your mind awake until this point, you will probably experience a brief moment of sleep paralysis. To me, it feels as if somebody turned up the gravity in my room X10 for about 5 seconds, after which I'm in a dream. It feels as if my mind is fully separating from my body. It can be frightening, so your instinct will be to move because of how intense this sensation is. If you can stay still and conscious through this, you will most likely start a lucid dream immediately.

This is how I've done WILD, but it doesn't always work and again, I'm not an expert. WILD is not my method of choice because of how difficult it is, but it's great when it actually works. The only way to get better at WILDing is to keep doing it. Also, research some meditation techniques, because these will improve your WILD abilities and your LD abilities in general.

Hope this helped!
Last edited by DataTunnel on 01 Apr 2015 04:43, edited 1 time in total.

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 01 Apr 2015 02:52

DataTunnel wrote: The goal of the WILD technique is to allow your body to fall asleep, and all the while keeping your mind awake. It is one of the most difficult lucid dreaming techniques, so don't beat yourself up if you mess up a few times.

I really wish people wouldn't keep saying "it is one of the most difficult lucid dreaming techniques" as if it applies to all as that isn't the fact for all. There are some beginners who have found it easier then other techniques

Those who go around saying it is the most difficult technique, making it sound like this is the case for all, are likely to be making this technique more difficult for others due to the thoughts they are putting into others heads as what we think when we are trying to LD is very important. With WILD sometimes just believing one could do it can trigger one. You are possibly stopping someone who may be able to WILD otherwise from doing so by making people doubt when there is no way to know what technique may be best for someone.

- I always lay on my back when I do WILD (I read somewhere that it's easier to have a lucid dream when you lay on your back, not sure why though. Also, I usually sleep on my side- whenever I try to WILD on my side, I fall asleep too quickly and it doesn't work, so I usually stick with sleeping flat on my back.)

Cause your body is in a habit of just going to sleep when you sleep on your side and falling deeply asleep unconsciously. When you sleep on your back it is drawing more attention to your subconsciousness that something is different and gets rid of the influence of a "habit" you are in of just falling quickly into an unaware sleep so making it more likely to have a "different" kind of experience, then your normal.

By 40-60 minutes, your body will be ready to fall asleep. If you can manage to keep your mind awake until this point, you will probably experience a brief moment of sleep paralysis.

That time can all depend on how fast someone usually gets to sleep. There are some who may go to sleep fast and there maybe others who are very good at deep relaxation due to previous meditation experience or whatever and may be able to relax very fast both mind and body.

There is no "probably experience" of sleep paralyses. Many do not get sleep paralyses or only get on rare occassions. People though are causing more to go into this as people at this website have a thing about sleep paralyses and whatever a person is expecting can happen in a dream. If you are expecting sleep paralyses, it is more likely to happen (but still may not happen).

It's far better to be aiming to go into a LD then into a SP (to which one is then may be stuck and may not even aware that one has started to dream this).
The rest of your instruction I thought was good.
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 01 Apr 2015 03:13

speed... I don't know if WILD will fix that issue of yours as you still need to go into a dream at a deep dream state unless you are experienced enough to pull yourself into a WILD at very light states (which is a harder way to enter a WILD) or otherwise you are likely to loose the WILD.

Even when becoming aware, you seem to have a problem with awareness in deep dream states. From the things you've said, I think you need to work on becoming more lucid in these semi lucid dreams you get.. try spending a few weeks on programing yourself to be so. You've said you've only just become aware you have these states so I'm assuming you haven't worked on this yet as far as those states go.

To try to program more awareness into these states, I suggest to think clearly of your LD goal every night on falling asleep and say to yourself things like "I will become more and more aware in my dreams" and "If I realise I am dreaming, I will do ***** (whatever your goal is). Spend some time regularly visualising that you will start asking questions on gaining awareness you are dreaming "Where is my body?" "Who am I in real life?" etc So these things hopefully transfer over into your semi lucid dreams.

Also practice awareness exercises during the day to try to improve your dream awareness eg question your environment during day regularly. If you can get yourself questioning more in your dreams it should help you gain more lucidity into them.

If these things after a few weeks don't help, then I suggest you try WILD (but as I said that may not solve this issue you are having).

So I think I had a partial lucid dream last night and now I just realized that I've been having them for years without knowing they're lucid dream (partial).

I'm curious if you have been doing this for years why you've only just now became aware of it, do you not keep a dream journal? If not it's one of the things you probably should be doing.

best luck

My question is how to WILD properly and step by step,

There is no set way to do a WILD its simply about doing whatever suits you to get yourself into the right state to fall asleep but have enough awareness to know you have done so (if you are having issues with awareness it may be harder for you to hold awareness when you are entering the right state to go into a WILD. You may find yourself loosing too much while heading into a deep enough state for a stable WILD).

You need to do something which keeps your attention while at same time able to go into a sleep state. The steps of whatever kind of WILD method one uses are
1/ Get body in extremely relaxed state
2/ Get mind in extremely relaxed state so it starts to drift towards sleep (hold "a bit" of constant attention or on and off attention where wandering focus is constantly brought back).

Other then this, the ways to "how to WILD" are quite individual and what works for one may not work for another eg I can slowly count back from 500 but still at the end of that be too awake/aware to be able to WILD (it activates my waking mind too much). It's about learning how to find the right state for you (with also the thing in which the person needs to be able to hold some focus while actually going to sleep.

speed5019

Postby speed5019 » 01 Apr 2015 03:42

I know how to relax VERY, VERY, deeply, so relaxing isn't my problem. My problem isn't not keeping a dream journal either and I know the position to lay and I do reality checks. I remember at least 1-4 dreams each night and write them in my dream journal. My problem is not seeing hypnogogic imagery and not being able to see any dreams while in Lucid mode no matter how long I lay. Maybe Im not doing something correctly......Idk. :idea:

DataTunnel

Postby DataTunnel » 01 Apr 2015 04:13

taniaaust1 wrote:I really wish people wouldn't keep saying "it is one of the most difficult lucid dreaming techniques" as if it applies to all as that isn't the fact for all. There are some beginners who have found it easier then other techniques

Those who go around saying it is the most difficult technique, making it sound like this is the case for all, are likely to be making this technique more difficult for others due to the thoughts they are putting into others heads as what we think when we are trying to LD is very important. With WILD sometimes just believing one could do it can trigger one. You are possibly stopping someone who may be able to WILD otherwise from doing so by making people doubt when there is no way to know what technique may be best for someone.

While it's my personal opinion, I think a lot of people would agree with me that the WILD method is one of the most difficult LD techniques.

My intention is not to make WILDing more difficult for anyone. I'm trying to paint an accurate picture of lucid dreaming methods, and some being harder than others (maybe not for everyone, but for the majority). I always encourage people to explore every technique they can and not stick to just one (until they know what works best).
You even said in your other post:
...unless you are experienced enough to pull yourself into a WILD at very light states (which is a harder way to enter a WILD) or otherwise you are likely to loose the WILD.

You are stating that entering a WILD at light states is harder, much in the same way I said entering a lucid dream is harder through the WILD method. All I'm saying is that indicating the degree of difficulty of an activity can be valid when someone is asking why they're having trouble with said activity.
Last edited by DataTunnel on 01 Apr 2015 07:12, edited 2 times in total.

DataTunnel

Postby DataTunnel » 01 Apr 2015 04:33

speed5019 wrote: My problem is not seeing hypnogogic imagery and not being able to see any dreams while in Lucid mode no matter how long I lay. Maybe Im not doing something correctly......Idk. :idea:

It's okay that you're not experiencing hypnagogic imagery. Some nights I experience hypnagogic imagery, some nights I don't. You can have a WILD where you experience no hypnagogic imagery at all (my last WILD was like this, though Im not sure how common this is).

It's hard to say what you may not be doing correctly. Let me ask you this: Is the problem that you're falling asleep without consciousness of it, or that you're staying awake? By that I mean, on nights that you have attempted the WILD and been unsuccessful, were you not able to let your body fall asleep? Or is the problem that you fell asleep without staying conscious?

I'm guna guess your issue is that your body isn't falling asleep, because you said "no matter how long I lay". This suggests to me that you're laying there, trying to fall asleep consciously, and it's not happening. This means that your body or your mind isn't relaxed enough. Either your brain is thinking too much, or your body is moving too much, or both.

Like I said earlier: with WILD, you really have to find that balance between thinking and being totally unconscious. You have to go with the flow, but remain aware of the fact that you're going with the flow. It's tough to put into words and of course, everyone has their own method of relaxing and WILDing. Just keep at it and I'm sure you'll eventually get the hang of it.

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 02 Apr 2015 07:25

DataTunnel wrote:You even said in your other post:
...unless you are experienced enough to pull yourself into a WILD at very light states (which is a harder way to enter a WILD) or otherwise you are likely to loose the WILD.

You are stating that entering a WILD at light states is harder, much in the same way I said entering a lucid dream is harder through the WILD method. All I'm saying is that indicating the degree of difficulty of an activity can be valid when someone is asking why they're having trouble with said activity.

You took my post wrongly, there is a difference between saying WILD is hard and saying its a harder if one is entering at very light states as not all who WILD do this, some enter more deeply and are more stable on WILD entry then others on WILD entries (not all enter into the WILD at extremely light states) I was only refering to those who have WILDs in very light states.

I myself often have a slow cross over with my senses which is harder then those who do WILD and just suddenly found themselves completely in a dream as some do. I actually often have to pull myself into the dream. Most people I think enter WILD at a deeper state then I do, at least some deeper. Many don't have their senses entering into the dream one at a time).

Entering a WILD lighter is generally harder then entering into a WILD deeper
. This doesn't mean all WILD is hard. You've misunderstood my post. (I started talking about the lighter WILD entries to this poster due to his LD issue with him not gaining good awareness on being deep in dreams even when he knows he's dreaming as I was thinking the same thing could happen if he entered a WILD more deeply.. the other alternative of cause is if someone has lighter WILD entries and hence why I talked about those here).

If a person enters WILD very lightly, yes then that may not just be harder then someone who enters into their WILDS at a deeper point but light WILD entries are probably harder then other methods (but as I said that isn't comparing those who get into a WILD deeper so not relevant for all WILD in general.

If I'd say, very young children can find it hard to hop, it doesn't mean all hopping is hard. It's only the very young who find it hard. (I feel like you've twisted what I said when I was just talking about lighter WILDs and not WILDs in general). Sorry I get hung up on how people put things due to my Aspergers and really dislike my posts being taken out of context they were said in. (don't let me bother you, I just get bothered by statements which aren't true).

I think a lot of people would agree with me that the WILD method is one of the most difficult LD techniques.

I do agree with this statement that "a lot of people would agree" but that wasn't what you said in your original post which made it sound as if it was like for all and that is what I was then commenting on when people make it sound like a technique is harder for all. If you'd said "many people think WILD method is the most difficult".. I wouldn't have commented and would of agreed with your post as many people do think that. Your original statement was
. It is one of the most difficult lucid dreaming techniques
so sounded like you were generally refering to all, there was no "for me" or "for most" mentioned

All I'm saying is that indicating the degree of difficulty of an activity can be valid when someone is asking why they're having trouble with said activity.

I don't have issue with that at all if the word "many" or even "most" was there and not make it sound like all find it harder. This poster who knows what he will end up finding works for him as he's having trouble with the other methods too. I wouldn't even try to guess at this point what he may end up finding to be the best method for himself.

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 02 Apr 2015 07:56

DataTunnel wrote:
speed5019 wrote: My problem is not seeing hypnogogic imagery and not being able to see any dreams while in Lucid mode no matter how long I lay. Maybe Im not doing something correctly......Idk. :idea:

It's okay that you're not experiencing hypnagogic imagery. Some nights I experience hypnagogic imagery, some nights I don't. You can have a WILD where you experience no hypnagogic imagery at all (my last WILD was like this, though Im not sure how common this is).

It's hard to say what you may not be doing correctly. Let me ask you this: Is the problem that you're falling asleep without consciousness of it, or that you're staying awake? By that I mean, on nights that you have attempted the WILD and been unsuccessful, were you not able to let your body fall asleep? Or is the problem that you fell asleep without staying conscious?

I'm guna guess your issue is that your body isn't falling asleep, because you said "no matter how long I lay". This suggests to me that you're laying there, trying to fall asleep consciously, and it's not happening. This means that your body or your mind isn't relaxed enough. Either your brain is thinking too much, or your body is moving too much, or both.

Like I said earlier: with WILD, you really have to find that balance between thinking and being totally unconscious. You have to go with the flow, but remain aware of the fact that you're going with the flow. It's tough to put into words and of course, everyone has their own method of relaxing and WILDing. Just keep at it and I'm sure you'll eventually get the hang of it.

Good post and as the other says "everyone has their own method of relaxing and WILDing" .. you may need to experiment with all different ways to relax and get into the right state for yourself to do it (that's if your issue is struggling to fall asleep). I just gone though a bad patch with my WILD and had to change all kinds of things to be getting into the right kind of state again (I've started snoring every time I lay on my back to do it and that wakes me up the moment I fall asleep, among other issues I'd developed with it. The position was one of the things which helped hugely previous in me being able to have a WILD).

I've figured it out again now I think (3 successful dream entries yesterday but super light so dropped out) but it took me 2 weeks to figure it out and that is when I have a ton of knowledge on the various WILD techniques and different things which can be done with this. Be prepared to try a lot of different things till you find something which works for you.

DataTunnel

Postby DataTunnel » 02 Apr 2015 23:42

If I'd say, very young children can find it hard to hop, it doesn't mean all hopping is hard. It's only the very young who find it hard. (I feel like you've twisted what I said when I was just talking about lighter WILDs and not WILDs in general)

I didn't, or at least didn't intend to take your statement out of context. I wasn't accusing you of saying that all WILDing is hard, because that isn't what you said at all. I was simply pointing out the similarity in our statements. What I meant was, you didn't say that it is harder for "some people" or "most people" to enter WILD at light states. You said it was harder, period, to enter WILD at lighter states. I did the same when talking about WILD in general. I was just trying to show that were both guilty of this to some degree.

You're right though, in all seriousness. I shouldn't generalize, I should remember that everyone is different and is going to have a different LD experience than myself. I do see where you're coming from, and I'm sorry for any misunderstanding :mrgreen:
Last edited by DataTunnel on 03 Apr 2015 04:22, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “For Beginners”