some DCs show, some don't

What have you learned from your dream characters? What do they say, what do they represent, what motivates them, why do they exist?
DataTunnel

some DCs show, some don't

Postby DataTunnel » 01 Apr 2015 20:56

Hey, I just have a general question for everyone, not so much related to lucid dreaming. It's more so about why we experience the specific dream characters we do in our non lucid dreams.

Let me clarify. In a lot of my dreams, I will of course encounter subconscious projections of people from my life. I would say for me, roughly half of my dream characters are people I've never met and the other half are actual people from my life, or combinations of people from my life.

I was thinking about it the other day, and there are some people that have just never shown up in my dreams, while there are others that show up all the time, and I see no pattern in it. It's very strange. There's even people I really don't care for that show up commonly, but other people that I like that have never shown up once, and vice versa. There's just a few people I can think of that have never made an appearance, and I can't imagine why. Maybe it's just by chance.

For example, my grandfather on one side of my family has appeared multiple times in my dreams. My grandfather on the other side has never appeared, even in a dream that he should've logically been in (for example, dreams taking place at his house). I think I was equally close with both of my grandfathers so I find this weird.

There are other examples too: One of my ex girlfriends has appeared many times, while a different ex of mine hasn't ever appeared, and I've actually known her for a lot longer.

I feel there must be some reason for this, but maybe it's just random. Or maybe for whatever reason my subconscious has better use for some DCs over others.

Has anyone else had this experience? Can you shed any light on why it may be that my mind is biased towards certain DCs? Any response is appreciated!
thanks!

taniaaust1

Re: some DCs show, some don't

Postby taniaaust1 » 02 Apr 2015 14:42

I was thinking about it the other day, and there are some people that have just never shown up in my dreams, while there are others that show up all the time, and I see no pattern in it. It's very strange. There's even people I really don't care for that show up commonly, but other people that I like that have never shown up once, and vice versa. There's just a few people I can think of that have never made an appearance, and I can't imagine why. Maybe it's just by chance.

Good question.

It's not by chance. The ones turning up in your dreams hold meaning to your subconsciousness eg they represent actual things to your subconsciousness.

Hence you have one grandfather show up and the other doesn't.. as there would be different things you associate with each of these for example maybe one represents kindness to you, while another if he played a lot of games with you may represent playfulness and joy, or another who may of had a lot of money in real life could represent "richness" or having wisdom around money (seeing its a grandpa). Though all "grandpas" they could also represent different things depending on what their qualities were or what they meant to you etc

Note -Often the DCs are representing different aspects of ourselves so one will get a certain DC come in a lot more then others or some none at all. You could start dreaming about a different one if your life changes and are going through different things in life or experienced a change.

The dream characters who are appearing in your dreams, have a good think of what they are symbolising to you and how that is currently relevant to your life.
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

DataTunnel

Re: some DCs show, some don't

Postby DataTunnel » 02 Apr 2015 23:51

taniaaust1 wrote:The dream characters who are appearing in your dreams, have a good think of what they are symbolising to you and how that is currently relevant to your life.

That's the thing, I thought about it and I can't really see a common thread between the ones that show up, symbolically or otherwise. Maybe if I think it over more I'll come to a conclusion. Or I won't! That's the beauty of the subconscious, if we knew everything about it, it would be no fun to explore through LD! :mrgreen:

Interestingly, the night after I started this thread, I had a dream involving one of the people that never showed up before (the ex that never showed). I'm assuming this is due to the fact that it was on my mind from having typed an entire post on it. Still, funny how this happened!

Return to “Dream Characters”