I had to change how I do WILD

Discuss lucid dreaming techniques including dream recall, MILD, WILD, meditation and other ways of attaining lucidity in dreams.
taniaaust1

I had to change how I do WILD

Postby taniaaust1 » 02 Apr 2015 14:24

I haven't been having many LDs as I'd left trying to do so for a while (just always tired so didn't feel like it) and only just got back into it strongly again just over a couple of weeks ago, only to then discover that things have majorly changed for me with it.

For one, I used to trigger off my WILDs by trying to go to sleep on my back. Turns out I now start snoring if I'm laying on my back the moment I go to sleep and that wakes me back up right away. All 3 of my WILD attempts a few days ago failed for that reason.. darn snoring!!

So I've had to go to doing it on my side (a position I've NEVER done WILD in before .. and its my normal sleeping position so no signal to my subconsciousness of "hey you, I'm trying to do something different here").

Also I was going straight into a dreamless deep sleep even if I held my focus for the WILD right up to the moment I feel asleep. I'd been holding my focus with focus on my chakras with breath focus or focus on counting up to 4 over and over with the breath or focus on my body. Things went good till the moment I fell asleep and then hit an unaware state each time!!! (It was sooo frustrating). So obviously I needed to do something different so I'd still be aware when I went to sleep and started to dream, I needed to program my mind to remember what I was doing when asleep

I finally decided to do breathing instead of to numbers or other things, to do it the words "lucid dream" .. thinking "lucid" on the in breath and thinking "dream" on the outbreath and changing that only if my mind was drifting into unawareness to much and hence needing more stimulation.. to think "I want to" on the in breath and "lucid dream" on the outbreath.

Anyway after 2 weeks previously of no luck though I was trying hard, this technique change has worked for me :D . I managed to get into a dream 3 times straight since yesterday when I changed my technique (though I did drop out almost right away but that doesn't matter seeing I haven't been doing it much lately, its just something I will work back on).

oh and Im proud of myself as I FINALLY looked at myself in a LD mirror (something Ive been terrified for ages to do). The image I saw was fuzzy though as it was the first thing I did on the dream entry and I wasn't stable.

Anyway, I thought I'd mention this in case their were others here trying to WILD right now without luck and who hadn't thought to try the "lucid" "dream" thought with the breath on falling asleep. In my case Im finding it makes quite a difference. (its even beats for me the energy raising chant I was previously using).
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

DreamLord

Re: I had to change how I do WILD

Postby DreamLord » 04 Apr 2015 17:52

Thanks man. I'm plagued with a similar problem, and i've got to try this.
LDs: 55
WILDs: 7
DEILDs: 1
DILDs: 47

You think that's air your breathing?

I<3LDS

Postby I<3LDS » 29 Aug 2015 21:47

Tania. Thanks for this post. So I know this is not an easy technique but I feel really drawn to it. I have been having success with MILD and SSILD and I'm not unhappy. I have read many many articles on how to perform the technique. I guess I'm asking you for your clear interpretation of what happens to that exact point between wake and sleep. Am I to expect to stay aware when I at the same time fall asleep? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I read many of your posts and feel like I can understand you.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 03 Oct 2015 13:04

I<3LDS wrote:Tania. Thanks for this post. So I know this is not an easy technique but I feel really drawn to it. I have been having success with MILD and SSILD and I'm not unhappy. I have read many many articles on how to perform the technique. I guess I'm asking you for your clear interpretation of what happens to that exact point between wake and sleep. Am I to expect to stay aware when I at the same time fall asleep? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I read many of your posts and feel like I can understand you.

It just tends to happen for me with using this way I mentioned in my post. I can pass through the awake to sleep transition unnoticed if I'm not careful as the transition can be quite smooth (I don't tend to get sleep paralyses or hypnagogia often to let me know when I'm at the point LD can occur so in my case it can occur very suddenly as in I'm awake one moment but in a LD the next. Sometimes I will get a few small quick mental drifts a minute or few minutes before eg strange random thinking, which let me know I'm about to go to sleep. I don't change what I doing when that occurs but just bring myself back to observing my breath with thoughts of "lucid dreaming".

You can experiment though with how much focus you put in while doing it, sometimes one needs to allow themselves to let go a little more eg go easy on yourself if you start drifting off at times. Just gently when you realise, do a quick mental check to try to see if you are dreaming or not and then go back to the thoughts of lucid dreaming with the breath. One will end up often naturally falling asleep while doing this (don't use any force just try to keep focus and be). Its really hard to explain.

ILFlint

Postby ILFlint » 04 Oct 2015 19:34

I may not have understood your post entirely, but the description you gave is not a WILD. It's a MILD. If you are truly WILDing, your mind never falls asleep just your body, because you enter the dream state fully conscious. It's the whole point of WILDing, other than the spontaneity. I'm glad the mantra you used worked, but if you lost consciousness and fell into a dream, then MILDing you were. Excellent. But don't confuse the techniques.

Also, for WILDing, all you have to do is lie still and observe your body as it falls asleep while keeping your mind focused on something that maintains your awareness. It's actually a more passive technique than almost any other. People get confused thinking it is something they have to work hard to accomplish, that they must force to happen. It's the opposite, actually. It's what you don't do that matters. To be good at WILDing, you have to learn to be a good, conscious observer, not actor. Just tell your body to go to sleep and sit or lie back and watch.

Believe it or not, your body will listen to you; just talk to it softly, hypnotically almost. And be patient. (Yes, hard, hard, hard this being patient business) Also, too many people don't understand how useful self-talk is in communicating with your self.

When WILDing, or using any technique actually, just make sure you start out in a comfortable position, and your body will relax and fall asleep on command if you allow it (When I say on command, I don't mean that you give it an order and suddenly your body falls out from under you dead asleep. There is a time element involved but less and less the more experienced you get.). Emphasis on allow.

My opinion is based on my experience and should not be confused with sharing definitive instructions that must be followed or else. Like anyone's opinion, apply it only if it makes sense to you.

ILFlint

Postby ILFlint » 04 Oct 2015 19:44

I should probably clarify a point in my post above. You are awake mentally as your body falls asleep. This allows the dream to form while you are conscious. You have one of two perspectives to take at this point. Are you allowing your mind to enter the consequent dream, and thus by definition falling asleep at that late point in the process? Or, more in line with the OBE perspective, are you still actually awake and conscious, just functioning in non-physical reality?

I'll leave that for you to decide. It is a subjective understanding and thus can not be objectively stated as fact from either perspective. Hopefully that confused you even more.

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 07 Oct 2015 02:56

ILFlint wrote:I may not have understood your post entirely, but the description you gave is not a WILD. It's a MILD. If you are truly WILDing, your mind never falls asleep just your body, because you enter the dream state fully conscious. It's the whole point of WILDing, other than the spontaneity. I'm glad the mantra you used worked, but if you lost consciousness and fell into a dream, then MILDing you were. Excellent. But don't confuse the techniques.

Also, for WILDing, all you have to do is lie still and observe your body as it falls asleep while keeping your mind focused on something that maintains your awareness. It's actually a more passive technique than almost any other. People get confused thinking it is something they have to work hard to accomplish, that they must force to happen. It's the opposite, actually. It's what you don't do that matters. To be good at WILDing, you have to learn to be a good, conscious observer, not actor. Just tell your body to go to sleep and sit or lie back and watch.

I think you've mistook my post. I know what a WILD is as you said its when one triggers off a LD and is able to go straight into it usually without a break in the waking consciousness. There are many different WILD techniques, some with other names (I cant think right now what MILD is). Some are extremely passive, they aren't all passive though as there are some active WILD techniques eg FILD which I'd classify as an active form of WILD as it involves moving a finger while falling asleep to trigger off a WILD. (falling asleep doesn't mean at all falling into unawareness)

When I said fall asleep in my post.. I do not at all mean go to sleep without any awareness. I'm refering to being passive and just letting go enough for a WILD to be able to happen and allowing one to "head more towards" a sleep state but with still thoughts of LD but not active thinking but the intent that this very act of allowing sleep will cause a LD.. that can cause a non loss of consciousness from awake straight into conscious dream is a WILD. (this letting go WILD technique is a good one right after other WILD techniques which have failed as the other techniques usually fail due to someone not relaxing enough mentally).

When WILDing, or using any technique actually, just make sure you start out in a comfortable position, and your body will relax and fall asleep on command if you allow it (When I say on command, I don't mean that you give it an order and suddenly your body falls out from under you dead asleep. There is a time element involved but less and less the more experienced you get.).

Some people with WILD find a very slightly uncomfortable position can help if they are prone to just falling into an unaware sleep while doing it. It's another thing which all depends on the individual. I think WILD has the most diverse ways of doing it. I once had a WILD due to extreme discomfort.. I think I let go enough mentally on that occasion due to the discomfort I was in (I was itchy to a shocking, nearly driving me crazy level and refusing to allow myself to scratch. I told myself I would have to WILD to escape this and so I then did at the point it was completely unbearable, right at the point where I was literally about to give up as I couldn't stand it no more. I don't recommend others to do WILD like that, it was very unpleasant and I wouldn't put myself through that much discomfort again).

My opinion is based on my experience and should not be confused with sharing definitive instructions that must be followed or else. Like anyone's opinion, apply it only if it makes sense to you.

I completely agree with that :)

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 07 Oct 2015 03:22

or maybe it was my use of the word "dream" which confused you my post.. as I didn't state lucid dream but just said dream.

ILFlint wrote:I may not have understood your post entirely, but the description you gave is not a WILD. It's a MILD. If you are truly WILDing, your mind never falls asleep just your body, because you enter the dream state fully conscious. It's the whole point of WILDing, other than the spontaneity. I'm glad the mantra you used worked, but if you lost consciousness and fell into a dream, then MILDing you were. Excellent. But don't confuse the techniques.

I didn't loose consciousness when I succeded. When I said fell into a dream.. I was refering to falling or going straight into a lucid dream (sorry I thought my post was obvious what I was refering too seeing I was talking about doing WILDs. I thought people would be aware when I mention dream when refering to WILD that its a LD). I didn't say "create" the dream as I wasn't using that WILD technique where one visualises what dream to go into.. I prefer my WILD LDs to be random places. So I allowed myself to fall into the dream (ie lucid dream). There was no mention in my post about me loosing consciousness when I was successful with my WILD as I smoothly transitioned without a loss of it. I'm not confusing techniques.

ILFlint

Postby ILFlint » 07 Oct 2015 22:46

Sorry about misconstruing your understanding of a type of WILD. The part of your post regarding an uncomfortable position is true, as you technically can do a WILD standing on your head. My description of a standard WILD is what most people will use. You can argue that FILD (your finger technique) is a WILD, but you can also say that SSILD, SILD and DEILD are also WILDs. If you are going to argue from that perspective, why bother with the other acronyms?

We use them because they help us communicate our specific understanding of a technique that is slightly different one from the other. And since you didn't know MILD, it stands for mnemonically induced lucid dream; mantras. And even that has versions that couple with visualization, etc. Good luck with your LD practice and for continued success.

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 13 Oct 2015 15:35

ILFlint wrote:Sorry about misconstruing your understanding of a type of WILD. The part of your post regarding an uncomfortable position is true, as you technically can do a WILD standing on your head. My description of a standard WILD is what most people will use. You can argue that FILD (your finger technique) is a WILD, but you can also say that SSILD, SILD and DEILD are also WILDs. If you are going to argue from that perspective, why bother with the other acronyms?

I personally don't tend to use those other acronyms. When I'm doing WILD I will usually be trying various WILD techniques in one session or just whatever I'm feeling like doing at the time (I've even made up my own technique based on ticking clock). Not all people use those acronyms... many of us are self taught LD and have developed our own techniques or a combo of them which just so happen to have other names which some people call. Lucid dreaming has been around way before people decided to give the different methods the names being used currently back in the 80s, these abbreviated names weren't even around though the various techniques were.

And since you didn't know MILD, it stands for mnemonically induced lucid dream; mantras. And even that has versions that couple with visualization, etc. Good luck with your LD practice and for continued success.

thanks for reminding me I did used to know what it stood for but forget as I cant be bothered much with all the abbreviations some people are using. I use a mantra at times, when I use one of those I also use it with breathwork. There is also different forms of mantras with LD, some use them like affirmations while others don't.

One can also mix and match all this stuff and even two people calling something by the same name, may well both be doing things quite differently.

IF people want to be specific, it is a good idea not to then say only WILD but also say what technique or mix one is using (that is if ones techniques do have names).

Return to “Lucid Dreaming Techniques”