I wake myself Up immediately after being lucid

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.
HandsomeJack

I wake myself Up immediately after being lucid

Postby HandsomeJack » 03 Apr 2015 23:59

Hello ;)

So, I have a little Problem with myself. I am trying to get lucid dreams for over 3 months now and had a couple. But just for 10 sseconds. Then I get too excited and wake myself Up.

For example, I'm in my dream, performing a reality Check. (Trying to push my Finger through my Hand) when i realize i'm dreaming, I get extremely fast heartrate and wake myswlf myself Up.

The same Problem occurs, when I try to induce dreaming with the WILD technique. I Know it's difficult for beginners, but when I'm doing this, I can feel how I'm leaving my body and that's amazing. But sadly, the same Problem Shows Up just a couple of seconds later, Faster heartrate and Boom. Awake.

I don't Know what I Should do. I try to remain calm but somehow I wake myself up all the time. I really dunno what to do against that.

Greetings from Switzerland

[ Post made via Android ] Image

DataTunnel

Re: I wake myself Up immediately after being lucid

Postby DataTunnel » 04 Apr 2015 10:46

Hey! I'll try and answer your question the best I can.

I had the exact same problem when I first started having lucid dreams. I'm not sure if it's the case for everyone, but I would say my first bunch of lucid experiences didn't last more than a few seconds after I realized I was dreaming. As you said, it's really hard to contain your excitement when you realize you're lucid. After a few years of lucid dreaming, I still get excited when I realize I'm in a dream! I've just gotten better at controlling it so I don't wake up.

Here are some things you can try if you want:

- Take your time. When you become lucid, don't immediately start running around trying to do things. Give yourself a few seconds and allow the logic parts of your mind to wake up.

- As soon as you become lucid, rub your hands together, or say out loud "I'm dreaming", or engage the dream in some other way. This will probably help stabilize the dream and strengthen it so you don't wake up as easily.

- Always have a goal in mind for your lucid dreams, at least for your first ones. In my personal experience with lucid dreaming/dreaming in general, dreams have a lot to do with what you're expecting to happen. They play off of your expectation. So if you go into a lucid dream with no plan of what you want to do, you have nothing to expect. It is still possible to just sort of "improvise" and do what you want in the moment, but lucid dreaming seems a lot easier when you plan things out for yourself, at least for me. Having a goal could help you not wake up because you'll be focusing on that and not your excitement.

I think you'll naturally get a better control over your dreams as you get more familiar with lucid dreaming, so there's no need to be worried about it. The fact that you're doing reality checks and becoming lucid is in itself a great thing, even if the experiences are short. This means you're on the right track. Just keep trying to have lucid experiences, keep it on your mind, and you'll eventually be able to have long lasting lucid dreams.

HandsomeJack

Postby HandsomeJack » 04 Apr 2015 11:05

DataTunnel wrote:Hey! I'll try and answer your question the best I can.

I had the exact same problem when I first started having lucid dreams. I'm not sure if it's the case for everyone, but I would say my first bunch of lucid experiences didn't last more than a few seconds after I realized I was dreaming. As you said, it's really hard to contain your excitement when you realize you're lucid. After a few years of lucid dreaming, I still get excited when I realize I'm in a dream! I've just gotten better at controlling it so I don't wake up.

Here are some things you can try if you want:

- Take your time. When you become lucid, don't immediately start running around trying to do things. Give yourself a few seconds and allow the logic parts of your mind to wake up.

- As soon as you become lucid, rub your hands together, or say out loud "I'm dreaming", or engage the dream in some other way. This will probably help stabilize the dream and strengthen it so you don't wake up as easily.

- Always have a goal in mind for your lucid dreams, at least for your first ones. In my personal experience with lucid dreaming/dreaming in general, dreams have a lot to do with what you're expecting to happen. They play off of your expectation. So if you go into a lucid dream with no plan of what you want to do, you have nothing to expect. It is still possible to just sort of "improvise" and do what you want in the moment, but lucid dreaming seems a lot easier when you plan things out for yourself, at least for me. Having a goal could help you not wake up because you'll be focusing on that and not your excitement.

I think you'll naturally get a better control over your dreams as you get more familiar with lucid dreaming, so there's no need to be worried about it. The fact that you're doing reality checks and becoming lucid is in itself a great thing, even if the experiences are short. This means you're on the right track. Just keep trying to have lucid experiences, keep it on your mind, and you'll eventually be able to have long lasting lucid dreams.

Hey Datatunnel

Thanks for the reply. I'm going to try all the tips you gave me. Especially the one for setting myself a goal I want to reach. That's something I have never tried.

But I guess the best thing is waiting. When I try more often I gain more experience and I will become better controlling my excitement.

Thank you!

[ Post made via Android ] Image

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 05 Apr 2015 19:13

What you are needing is to be doing "lucid dream stabilization techniques". DataTunnel gave you a common one of rubbing the hands together which often works for people.
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

Return to “For Beginners”