MILD/WBTB don't work for me -- Help?

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.
Fira

MILD/WBTB don't work for me -- Help?

Postby Fira » 05 Apr 2015 03:51

So... I have insomnia. In this case, that means it takes me at least an hour and sometimes more than that, to fall asleep at night, no matter how tired I am. There have been cases where I haven't gone to sleep for over four hours. I have begun to fix this by doing the obvious things: Going to sleep/waking up at around the same time every day. Going to bed at a decent hour. Turning off electronics two hours to an hour before bed and just reading so I'm relaxed. (The exception this is when I go look at the subliminal messages videos on this site to induce lucid dreaming.) These things have made it a lot easier to go to sleep, but it STILL takes me an hour to over an hour to fall asleep.

Because of this, I feel that MILD and WBTB will never work, because they require you to be able to go to sleep fairly quickly. Anytime I attempt MILD and start getting to that point where I'm drifting off, I gently ask myself if I'm dreaming even though I know I'm awake, but then suddenly I'm dead asleep with no remembrance of me doing the MILD in the first place. And then I'm dreaming non-lucidly and it doesn't click. And with WBTB, you have to get up so your conscious brain is awake, and then go back to sleep, still feeling tired. Yeah, that doesn't work when it takes me so long to go to sleep...

So what do I do? Just pray to God that I have a DILD? I mean, I've been keeping a dream journal and doing reality checks and reading/learning/talking about lucid dreaming, etc. But without the ability to even practice MILD, the best I can hope for is a DILD. How often do those occur?

taniaaust1

Re: MILD/WBTB don't work for me -- Help?

Postby taniaaust1 » 05 Apr 2015 17:00

So what do I do? Just pray to God that I have a DILD? I mean, I've been keeping a dream journal and doing reality checks and reading/learning/talking about lucid dreaming, etc. But without the ability to even practice MILD, the best I can hope for is a DILD. How often do those occur?

Yeah don't do WBTB if you have insomnia. DILD often happens quite randomly but over time one can have increased frequency of waking up in dreams once one starts getting in a habit of waking up at times during them. (I forget now how often I used to have a DILD, once a fortnight or once a week??). My original LDs were all DILD.

Make sure you time your reality checks as well eg do them also to things which also appear commonly in your dreams.....

Also you can get into the habit of questioning your surroundings and being more observant, along with looking for anything "weird" and try to get that happening into your dreams.

The very moment you wake up, try not to move at all and try to send yourself straight back into the dream you've just come out of before you are awake properly (if you don't remember things like the dream you've just had, also work on your dream recall).

You could also try hypnotherapy to help your sleep issues (and hence to get into LDs easier). (I had professional hypnotherapy at one point for an issue and it did work for me well)

There is also CDs in which affect brain wave states and can change them which could help you with LD
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

Return to “For Beginners”