Choosing cues for reality checks.

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.
jimmyjames

Choosing cues for reality checks.

Postby jimmyjames » 06 Apr 2015 23:32

I'm having a great deal of trouble trying to determine what should remind me to perform a reality check. A while back i saw that i often had a setting of grass plains and big bodies of water in my dreams, so I made that my reality check, but right when i did that, those cues seemed to stop appearing in my dreams.
My dreams seem to vary greatly in content: last night I had a dream that my house was full of monsters, another where I was in a skiing race, and another where I was in a water taxi.
Does anyone have tips on picking when to perform reality checks?

Fira

Re: Choosing cues for reality checks.

Postby Fira » 07 Apr 2015 03:46

Since your dreams are inconsistent/they don't seem to make real life sense, I would NOT suggest trying to do reality checks based on Dream Signs. Unless you have dream signs that could be related to real life. Like, for me, my number one dream sign -- a very basic and versatile one -- is being around a bunch of people/being in a group. So I try to remember to do reality checks any time I'm in a group of people.

Anyways. Instead of doing it based on your dream signs, just set your watch or phone to go off once per hour, and do a reality check every time it goes off (don't forget to reset the alarm!) This will get you into the habit of doing them. Just do something simple like plugging your nose and attempting to breathe or whatever, while looking at your surroundings -- really STUDYING them -- and asking yourself if you're dreaming.

If you start to think about reality checks/lucid dreaming/dreaming at any point during the day, do one right then. You don't always have to wait for the alarm. Focus on all of your senses when you do the RC. What do you see, hear, touch, taste, and smell? Is anything weird? Is there a dinosaur in your kitchen? Is there a stranger in your house? Are there any cars on the road? If you're at school/work, are any of the people acting strangely?

Hope this helps.

jimmyjames

Re: Choosing cues for reality checks.

Postby jimmyjames » 07 Apr 2015 06:56

Thanks a lot for the reply!

I have noticed that I'm often in a sort of social environment/group of people in my dreams, so I might try that. I'll also give the alarm technique a go.

Return to “For Beginners”