WILD help

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.
oneironaut.ld

WILD help

Postby oneironaut.ld » 08 Apr 2015 00:07

This is a pretty straight forward question but, when exactly can I WILD successfully? Can I do it as soon as I lay down to sleep? Can I do it when I take naps? Or do I have to do it AFTER I sleep for 4-6 hours?

[ Post made via Android ] Image

DataTunnel

Re: WILD help

Postby DataTunnel » 08 Apr 2015 01:31

oneironaut.ld wrote:This is a pretty straight forward question but, when exactly can I WILD successfully? Can I do it as soon as I lay down to sleep? Can I do it when I take naps? Or do I have to do it AFTER I sleep for 4-6 hours?

Hi!

The answer to all three of your questions is probably yes.

You can start WILD as soon as you lay down, yes (though it could take anywhere from 10-40 minutes to actually get into the lucid dream, depending on how tired you are and how experienced you are at the WILD technique).

You can absolutely try it for a nap, but I've never tried this so I'm not sure. I don't see why it wouldn't work though. I've heard of mid day naps working really well for lucid dreaming, but i cannot speak from personal experience.

Last but not least, yes, you can also do it after sleeping for 4-6 hours. This is a combination between the WILD technique and the WBTB (wake back to bed) technique. WBTB is when you wake up after sleeping for a few hours, stay up for 20-60 minutes, and go back to bed thinking about lucid dreaming (this technique has worked very well for me personally). So yes, you can wake up after 4-6 hours of sleep, stay up for a few minutes, and then try to WILD yourself into a lucid dream. This may be a good one to try, since your body will be relaxed already to some extent.

So basically, you can use WILD for any type of sleeping. Remember, the point of WILD is to let your body fall asleep while your mind relaxes but stays awake. So as long as you have enough time to relax your body and have a full lucid dream, you can do the WILD technique any time. You just have to see which kind of sleep works best for you to do the technique, whether it be naps, going to bed at night or returning to sleep after a few hours. You'll figure it out after you try it a few times.

Keep working at WILD and don't forget to try other techniques too, you never know what may work for you.

Hope this helped.

oneironaut.ld

Postby oneironaut.ld » 08 Apr 2015 01:39

Ah thank you! That makes me want to try WILD more ^-^ but I can usually lay still for 2 to 3 hours and nothing other than visualization and spinning happens. I start spinning after about 10 minutes. Then I see streaks of light. Maybe some flashing dots. I hear voices for a split second. I feel like my eyes are trying to open so I close them. Also, I feel little surges of electricity run through my body from head to toe. Usually through my back. How would I enter the dream? How do I know when I'm close?

DataTunnel

Postby DataTunnel » 08 Apr 2015 08:40

oneironaut.ld wrote:Ah thank you! That makes me want to try WILD more ^-^ but I can usually lay still for 2 to 3 hours and nothing other than visualization and spinning happens.

You probably shouldn't have to lay still for 2 to 3 hours to get to the dream. I think for most people it won't take more than an hour, but this varies of course.

oneironaut.ld wrote:I start spinning after about 10 minutes. Then I see streaks of light. Maybe some flashing dots. I hear voices for a split second. I feel like my eyes are trying to open so I close them. Also, I feel little surges of electricity run through my body from head to toe. Usually through my back.

The stuff you are talking about with the streaks of light, hearing voices and that spinning feeling is called "hypnagogic imagery". These are sensory distortions (hallucinations) that you experience in the state between wakefulness and sleep. The fact that you were experiencing the hypnagogic imagery means that you were beginning to fall asleep, which is good.

But if you're laying there for 2-3 hours, I would suggest working on relaxation (mental and physical).
If you don't already, I would suggest meditating in some form. Meditation will help your relaxation skills and will get you better at WILD, as well as lucid dreaming in general.
The real trick with WILD is letting your body and mind relax, while being aware that it's happening (because otherwise you'll just fall asleep). But, you can't try too hard to relax either, because you won't relax at all then and you'll stay awake. You have to just sort of "go with the flow" but be half aware that you're doing so. Meditation can help greatly with that.

How would I enter the dream? How do I know when I'm close?

For me personally, it's hard to know for sure when I'm close to the dream state. The reason being, the closer I get to it, the less control of my awareness I have. So by the time I'm very close, I'm much less aware than usual and it's hard to remember (keep in mind, I'm not a WILD expert)
But I'll try to explain what I experience:

Usually my body will be almost fully numb and my mind will be wandering a lot. Then out of nowhere, for about 3-5 seconds, I feel an enormous pressure on my entire body, as if I'm leaving it (very hard to explain this feeling). Then, upon fully disconnecting from the body, a dream scape instantly appears in front of me out of the dark. This can be really bizarre the first few times it happens because it can also be unexpected. Keep in mind this is just my own experience.

Nove13

Postby Nove13 » 08 Apr 2015 09:55

DataTunnel wrote:
oneironaut.ld wrote:Ah thank you! That makes me want to try WILD more ^-^ but I can usually lay still for 2 to 3 hours and nothing other than visualization and spinning happens.

You probably shouldn't have to lay still for 2 to 3 hours to get to the dream. I think for most people it won't take more than an hour, but this varies of course.

oneironaut.ld wrote:I start spinning after about 10 minutes. Then I see streaks of light. Maybe some flashing dots. I hear voices for a split second. I feel like my eyes are trying to open so I close them. Also, I feel little surges of electricity run through my body from head to toe. Usually through my back.

The stuff you are talking about with the streaks of light, hearing voices and that spinning feeling is called "hypnagogic imagery". These are sensory distortions (hallucinations) that you experience in the state between wakefulness and sleep. The fact that you were experiencing the hypnagogic imagery means that you were beginning to fall asleep, which is good.

But if you're laying there for 2-3 hours, I would suggest working on relaxation (mental and physical).
If you don't already, I would suggest meditating in some form. Meditation will help your relaxation skills and will get you better at WILD, as well as lucid dreaming in general.
The real trick with WILD is letting your body and mind relax, while being aware that it's happening (because otherwise you'll just fall asleep). But, you can't try too hard to relax either, because you won't relax at all then and you'll stay awake. You have to just sort of "go with the flow" but be half aware that you're doing so. Meditation can help greatly with that.

How would I enter the dream? How do I know when I'm close?

For me personally, it's hard to know for sure when I'm close to the dream state. The reason being, the closer I get to it, the less control of my awareness I have. So by the time I'm very close, I'm much less aware than usual and it's hard to remember (keep in mind, I'm not a WILD expert)
But I'll try to explain what I experience:

Usually my body will be almost fully numb and my mind will be wandering a lot. Then out of nowhere, for about 3-5 seconds, I feel an enormous pressure on my entire body, as if I'm leaving it (very hard to explain this feeling). Then, upon fully disconnecting from the body, a dream scape instantly appears in front of me out of the dark. This can be really bizarre the first few times it happens because it can also be unexpected. Keep in mind this is just my own experience.

IM a newbie. I learned a lot from your experience. Thx. Which one is easier? DILD or WILD ? im learning DILD now, though i never have my LD till now.

oneironaut.ld

Postby oneironaut.ld » 08 Apr 2015 12:39

One last thing. Do I let myself drift off to sleep once I get into the HI state? Or do I keep my mind awake the whole entire time?

DataTunnel

Postby DataTunnel » 09 Apr 2015 00:22

oneironaut.ld wrote:One last thing. Do I let myself drift off to sleep once I get into the HI state? Or do I keep my mind awake the whole entire time?

You have to keep your mind awake, but not too awake. I know it sounds paradoxical, but this is the trick of it you see. If you keep your mind too awake, you wont sleep, because you're trying so hard to stay aware. On the flip side, if you allow your mind to drift and relax too much, you'll lose consciousness. This stuff isn't so easy to describe in words, because it's more of a feeling than anything else.

You have to find a balance, as I said earlier- Allow your mind to relax, but stay somewhat aware of the relaxation that's happening. It sounds like a contradiction but it is possible, you just have to practice. Eventually, you'll get used to the "floaty" state you get before falling asleep, and you'll be able to relax fully and go lucid.

This is why I recommend meditation. Meditating will get you used to the feeling of relaxing while staying just barely conscious of what you're doing. Again, in meditation, we have the same balance. If you TRY to meditate too hard, you will get nowhere, because you're trying to hard to make it happen. You have to let go without trying too hard. Hope this helped! :mrgreen:

Also, remember to try some other techniques too if you haven't already!

oneironaut.ld

Postby oneironaut.ld » 09 Apr 2015 00:28

Ah alright! I was confused on whether or not I should let myself sleep or not, but thank you heaps ^-^ I'll keep trying this, as well as FILD!

DataTunnel

Postby DataTunnel » 09 Apr 2015 06:14

IM a newbie. I learned a lot from your experience. Thx. Which one is easier? DILD or WILD ? im learning DILD now, though i never have my LD till now.

Neither is really easier or harder, they are just very different techniques.

DILD involves waking up the logical part of your mind while in a dream. WILD involves going into the dream with your logical mind awake from the start. They're almost opposites as far as lucid dream techniques go.

If you know how to relax your body and mind, WILD won't be that difficult for you. Some forms of meditation and other relaxation techniques will help you with this

DILD relies on reality checks and being more aware while you're awake, so that you'll end up aware in your dreams.

It seems (at least for myself) that DILD is a bit more random. Some dreams I realize I'm dreaming instantly, and others I don't at all. It depends on a lot of things.

WILD can be a bit more reliable if you get skilled at it. What I mean is, you can decide on any given night that you want to have a lucid dream and make it happen, but that's if you're a real expert.

Let me ask you this- for DILD, are you using reality checks and keeping a dream journal? And have you had a lucid dream using DILD or any other technique, or are you yet to have a lucid dream?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 09 Apr 2015 11:13

oneironaut.ld wrote:This is a pretty straight forward question but, when exactly can I WILD successfully? Can I do it as soon as I lay down to sleep? Can I do it when I take naps? Or do I have to do it AFTER I sleep for 4-6 hours?

Yes to all those, I suggest to experiment with all these till you find what works best for you.

I can usually lay still for 2 to 3 hours and nothing other than visualization and spinning happens. I start spinning after about 10 minutes. Then I see streaks of light. Maybe some flashing dots. I hear voices for a split second. I feel like my eyes are trying to open so I close them. Also, I feel little surges of electricity run through my body from head to toe. Usually through my back. How would I enter the dream? How do I know when I'm close?

You are doing something wrong with it seeing you are starting to get these things after 10 mins but then even after hours not gone into a dream (unless you usually take hours to get to sleep when not doing this).

From your post I'm suspecting that where you are going wrong is that you are keeping yourself too awake. You need to allow yourself to drift more towards sleep.

OR

You may be actually fighting off getting in the LD state so stopping yourself (something you said in your post has made me think you may be doing that, I'll explain in a moment).

OR

You are actually going into a LD state but so smoothly you have missed the change over to it and maybe laying there still trying to LD when in fact you may be already LD but now dreaming you are still in bed trying to LD

OR

You are needing to do a dream entry (actively pull yourself into a dream but instead you just continue to lay there. I do active dream entries into a LD when I get HI)

I suspect you are relaxed enough seeing you are getting the HI. HI is the subconsciousness manifesting and tuning into that so one should be able to get into a LD very soon after. The HI state should be indicative that you are extremely close to having a LD or ready to consciously pull yourself into one.

Anyway, you need to figure out which of these things is probably your issue.

I suggest to allow yourself to go completely asleep if you haven't had a LD after around an hour as otherwise it can end up causing frustration which isn't good for LD and also give sleep issues. From your post and how easily you go into spinning and HI, you should be able to LD within the hour quite easily.

Here's some things you should explore to try to figure out your issue

I feel like my eyes are trying to open so I close them

- What happens if you go along with that feeling and open your eyes? (this is why I said you could be actually fighting off a LD entry, it may well by your LD eyes you are feeling wanting to open but instead you may be forcing them to stay shut so forcing yourself to continue experiencing you staying in your bedroom with eyes shut. If you open them maybe you may find yourself opening to another place).

- Experiment with letting yourself fall actually completely asleep after 1 hr of trying (sometimes giving up at this point is enough to send someone straight into a LD if they were in right state but doing something to stop it or just not relaxing enough towards sleep state).

- Experiment with using your HI to see if you can use it at all to enter into a dream eg your spinning.. go with the spinning and try to spin faster and faster. (this can throw someone out of body and straight into a LD or an OBE).

I don't think it sounds like you have an issue with your timing as far as time of day/night goes seeing you can get the HI fine but rather you have an issue with this somewhere else and you just need to figure out what it is. (though experimenting with timing could still be handy eg you may have more luck after 4-6 hrs sleep if its a case of not being relaxed enough).
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

Return to “For Beginners”