Damn - Vibrations & dissapointment

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.
ezzolucid

Damn - Vibrations & dissapointment

Postby ezzolucid » 08 Apr 2015 10:13

So last night, i got up after about 3 hours sleep, i had some shreddies and went back to bed 10 mins later. I lay down and done a few minutes deep breathing, then a mindfull body scan. Now im relaxed i lay on my side (for comfort and to stop saliva swallowing) and started counting from 1 onwards imagining the numbers on a chalkboard.

I didnt get any hynogogia after a loooong time but then next thing i know im dreaming, im in my own utility room and i cant open the door as someone seems to be on the other side stopping me. next thing (for real) i get 3 big waves of hypnogogia vibrations, its very intense but i lay there dead still experiencing it (i wasnt worried but i was excited as i knew i was safe and that a lucid dream was on the way)

Sadly even though i remained mindful and aware theough the vibrations a dream just didnt emerge and i fell asleep, I dod try to form / visulize a dreamscape but nothing happened (i did have a NON LD after)

My questions are these please:

In my first dream when im trying to open the door, this let to the hypnogogia vibrations. I thought that hynogogia only happened from being awake whilst transitioning into a LC and not during a non LD

BIG QUESTION: its taken ages to get this level of intense vibrations so why didnt a LC follow. I remained excited and mindful during the vibrations but it didnt 'drop' into a LD after (i must have fallen asleep)

also, my technique, is it a 'correct way' for WILD. I breathe, body scan then start chalk board counting until 'something else' happens such as hypnogogia. it was dissapointing to not have a LD after such intense vibrations, did i do something wrong?? :-( Thanks everyone

taniaaust1

Re: Damn - Vibrations & dissapointment

Postby taniaaust1 » 10 Apr 2015 13:12

You are getting in the right states but what you are doing is loosing consciousness on transitioning, your waking consciousness missed transitioning at least twice (the first time when you entered into the dream.. I'm curious about this dream, so you didn't say you were lucid in it so I'm assuming it was nonlucid? As you were aware of the vibrations which came in, I do think you hadn't lost complete awareness even if you weren't aware you were in a dream..so that's a good sign, you were very close to succeding).

If loss of awareness continues to be an issue for you, you may need to try other techniques then the WILD technique and focus on techniques in which you can become aware within dreams (actually those other techniques may help also for you to regain your awareness right after a transition).

I wonder if you refused to accept your dream state as a possibility to have been able to become lucid at that point if you currently hold/held the misconception that you need to have hypnagogia or "something" before transitioning into a dream. When it comes to doing dream stuff, what you believe becomes very important as if you think something cant happen in a certain way, it can actually stop it occurring.

(so maybe that is why you didn't became aware in the dream you went into!!! maybe your expectation of something needs to happen first before the dreaming starts blocked your awareness from coming in. What we think in dreams we create so a thought of "I cant just become lucid, I haven't had hypnagogia first" could of been devastating to this LD attempt).

I suggest to try to aim to go straight into a dream, if you hold the expectation that you cant just do that, it may mean you end up not being able to do this. If something else happens, just accept it happened but know it isn't necessary.

and started counting from 1 onwards imagining the numbers on a chalkboard.

From my own experience and knowledge, I personally don't think that counting is a good technique though I do know counting is commonly used and recommended by others. I don't like it much for a couple of reasons

1/ It may be making your brain think too much and hence it can take longer to get to sleep and into a LD. If it took quite a while for something to start to happen, this could be why. (mind too active)

2/ There is something which in your case may help you better with the transitioning issue you have. You need to deeply put into your mind that you are trying to LD and not just fall into an unaware sleep (so your awareness of your intent will still be there when you get into a dream).

To do that I suggest to say the word "lucid dream" to your breathing. Think "lucid" each time you breath in and "dreaming" each time you breath out. (this actually I think also works the brain less then active counting numbers and trying to visualise... after a while one adjusts to just breath watching and only the two words over and over.. it can get almost hypnotic and hopefully will aid in your transition memory).

I also suggest to not use your normal sleep position as that too will also help signal to yourself when you transition that you aren't trying to go into your normal every day sleep state

ezzolucid wrote: I didnt get any hynogogia after a loooong time but then next thing i know im dreaming, im in my own utility room and i cant open the door as someone seems to be on the other side stopping me. next thing (for real) i get 3 big waves of hypnogogia vibrations, its very intense but i lay there dead still experiencing it (i wasnt worried but i was excited as i knew i was safe and that a lucid dream was on the way)

One doesn't get hypnagogia while in a dream, hypnagogia is something which a person experiences while awake. Everything in a dream is either part of the dream or is something being picked up from outside of the dream.

Many people including myself believe that the astral body, the body people go OBE in, leaves the physical body whenever someone goes to sleep. Vibrations commonly are the astral body distaching from the physical one (on exit things are like out of sync during the separation).. and if you are experiencing from the point of the astral body, you will have an OBE.. or if not and one is in a dream once the astral form separates one is usually unaware of it. Sounds like you had a bit of awareness of both which isn't uncommon in those trying to do these things.

also, my technique, is it a 'correct way' for WILD. I breathe, body scan then start chalk board counting until 'something else' happens such as hypnogogia.

1/ Don't wait on "something else" focus on that you just want to LD (it may help you not forget and loose consciousness when you transition into a dream). Make LD your sole thought so you don't forget about it when you go into sleep. (don't allow the other things, vibrations, sleep paralyses, HI or whatever... to become distractions to this thought). All you need to have is one thought when you go to sleep, that being to be lucid ... "lucid dreaming"

Deep breathing, body scanning are good for everyone but from there it really varies with individuals depending on what their issues are when it comes to doing this. In your case you may be "thinking" too much (so its taking a long time for you to get into the state), so trial doing things in which you can get to sleep faster but which still hold your attention. I gave a better suggestion for you before which will hopefully help with your loss of consciousness issue.

it was dissapointing to not have a LD after such intense vibrations, did i do something wrong?? :-( Thanks everyone

Other then possibly having misconceptions which may of interfered with your attempt, the way you went about it from what you said, I wouldn't say you did anything with that wrong. It's really trial and error and tweeking the techniques in a way to be more benefical to a person.

There though may be something which may help in your case.. get in the habit of reality checking so hopefully if you do enter a dream unaware or just unsure when you do, you may think to reality check.
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

Return to “For Beginners”