Unintentionally invoking a sort of WILD?

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.
a_prune

Unintentionally invoking a sort of WILD?

Postby a_prune » 08 Apr 2015 18:21

I have been trying to have a lucid dream for some time using MILD each night, but a few times something different and slightly unusual has happened. When I have a nap in the afternoon and don't use MILD, I find myself visualising a dreamlike sequence of events. The experience is half sleeplike fairly vivid - more so than a regular dream but less than real life. Within 15 seconds I return to full consciousness and the visualiton stops, as if I am returning from the edge of sleep. It seems as if I was about to slip into a lucid dream. I find this experience dificult to induce. It has happened three times, only in the afternnon. Two of those times I was trying to sleep while on a train. Could the ambigous background noise help keep my mind awake and increase the likelihood of a WILD? Also, I can't actively induce this state of visualisation; it just happens (occasionally), so is there a way I can learn to lucid dream this way?

[ Post made via Android ] Image

taniaaust1

Re: Unintentionally invoking a sort of WILD?

Postby taniaaust1 » 10 Apr 2015 16:04

When you go to sleep at night, your body is used to just going into an unaware sleep. Think of this as a very strong body habit of how many years reinforcement (according to your age) which one needs to breach if trying to WILD from a point of where one just is going to bed.

When someone tries to WILD in the afternoon though at a time when they don't usually sleep, there is no real habit of just going into an unaware sleep there, this can make it easier for new experiences to happen including a WILD if you are the type of person who could possibly still get to sleep at that time of day.

I personally used to find the jolting of a train would keep me in a very slightly conscious state (like on a high alert kind of state as its out in public too) even if I was nodding on and off to sleep. So I guess that would be helpful too.

Also, I can't actively induce this state of visualisation; it just happens (occasionally), so is there a way I can learn to lucid dream this way?

Though you are getting visuals, it isn't visualisation as such as its subconsciousness spontaneous visuals... it's dream or subconsciousness thought flows coming in. These I find can happen in very brief spurts sometimes before I have a WILD. If you are loosing consciousness for up to 15 seconds though, I'd think you could be at risk of going into an unaware dream if you aren't careful and its probably the train stopping you from falling asleep entirely and loosing awareness.

I guess you could use trains to practice getting yourself into that state where you start to drift (this is the start of actual dreaming) as that is what you want to be doing to have a WILD. It shows you are mentally relaxed enough to do so.

There is often a balancing act to having a WILD with keeping that awareness but allowing the mind to be drifting off at times.

Methods in which you are trying to visualise, may be too mentally stimulating for you and hence you aren't getting as close to having a LD as you are on the train.

Could the ambigous background noise help keep my mind awake and increase the likelihood of a WILD?

I've lately been using a very loud ticking clock when Im wanting to WILD and have been finding it helpful to my LDs lately. I do have a horrible loud alarm on that too which I set in 1 hr hoping if I fail and fall asleep, to give myself another go at it. Interestingly if I fail and end up falling into an unaware sleep, I don't even hear that alarm (cause I guess my body turned completely off due to the loud ticking).

Also, I can't actively induce this state of visualisation; it just happens (occasionally), so is there a way I can learn to lucid dream this way?

You just to hold a very slightly aware focus while you fall asleep. If listening to something outside yourself helps, do it that way. It doesn't matter how a person does it, there are lots of ways to do it, lots of ways to do WILD. Whether to listen to a loud ticking clock while falling asleep or watching ones breathing as one falls asleep or whatever.
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

a_prune

Re: Unintentionally invoking a sort of WILD?

Postby a_prune » 10 Apr 2015 17:11

Ok, thanks for the reply. I have a loudish clock, so I'll put io my bedroom tonight, try to consciously drift into a dream, and see what happens.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Return to “For Beginners”