Was this the beginning of a lucid dream, or...

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.
Fira

Was this the beginning of a lucid dream, or...

Postby Fira » 09 Apr 2015 19:16

... or was it just a very vivid visualization?

Two nights ago I was just trying to drift off to sleep normally. I've stopped trying to MILDs and WILDs because I have insomnia so those wouldn't work for me because they keep my brain on all night and I end up getting no sleep til four in the morning.

But I was in that half-asleep, half-awake state where I was starting to let my mind drift and the driftings were getting really weird, like they do before you fall asleep/start dreaming. I generally don't pay TOO much attention to them, because, again, my brain has a hard time going into sleep-time so if I focus too much it wakes me up and I have to start all over again.

But two nights ago I had a VERY VIVID dream, or at least the very beginnings of one. I play Skyrim, and I had a dream that I was one of my characters, going into a Temple of one of the Gods in the Skyrim Universe. (Temple of Mara in Riften, for any of you Skyrim-ers.) It didn't look like the temple in the actual game, but my brain created a false memory, I'm guessing, so that in the dream I knew it was the Temple of Mara.

I pushed open the wooden doors, and with the whoosh of air came my clarity. All of a sudden it FELT REAL. I could FEEL my heavy footsteps (my character is big burly Orc), and HEAR them echo in the temple. And I could SEE the chocolate brown wood of the doors and floor. And right then I knew I was dreaming (or having a vivid visualization, cos I could still feel my body?) and tried to maintain that focus. Then a noise outside my door (my cat, I think) woke me up too much, and when I tried to keep my eyes closed and return to the sensations, it didn't work.

So what was this? A half-awake lucid dream? Or a really vivid visualization? Or what?

taniaaust1

Re: Was this the beginning of a lucid dream, or...

Postby taniaaust1 » 10 Apr 2015 13:46

And right then I knew I was dreaming (or having a vivid visualization, cos I could still feel my body?) and tried to maintain that focus

That was a start of a LD, its a pity the cat disturbed you. If one transitions a bit slower, one can feel the physical body too at first but then it usually goes completely into just the dream.

But I was in that half-asleep, half-awake state where I was starting to let my mind drift

That I find is the best way to do WILD. I allow my mind to get into that half aware/half awake state (or just to go to sleep with intent to have a WILD). What you experienced is a completely natural state on going to sleep. If WILD was keeping you up (an issue lots are having), you were trying too hard as you go into the right state every single night :)
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 10 Apr 2015 14:18

A note of interest is that its Interesting that your dream become real to you when you opened the door. Going throu doors symbolise opening to a new place or a shift in perception or a new awareness so it isn't just a coincidence that things changed after you opened a door.

Note the other here too who has just posted had his experience with a door (in his case it triggered vibrations to start up. ..so in his case it triggered off probable astral awareness to come in) http://www.world-of-lucid-dreaming.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=16280

I've noticed for a while now with peoples dreams and experiences that doors do actually act as a trigger obviously due to what these mean to our subconsciousness.

umm I wonder if people connected opening or going through doorways to reality checks, if that could really help people seeing it's when we are most likely to change awareness. It could be well worth experimenting with that and comparing if its more affective then reality checks to other things.

Fira

Postby Fira » 10 Apr 2015 17:56

Thanks for the insight. I'll try doing reality checks when I go through doorways now. That is an interesting little tidbit. Maybe trying incubate a dream of walking through a doorway will help me become lucid, as this is the first time I've even come close to a LD since I started practicing a little over a month ago.

As a totally unrelated side note, your avatar picture freaks me the hell out. XD

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 11 Apr 2015 10:49

Fira wrote:Thanks for the insight. I'll try doing reality checks when I go through doorways now. That is an interesting little tidbit. Maybe trying incubate a dream of walking through a doorway will help me become lucid, as this is the first time I've even come close to a LD since I started practicing a little over a month ago.

As a totally unrelated side note, your avatar picture freaks me the hell out. XD

My avatar painting is far better as it's lost a lot of its more real look as I had to downsize heaps the photo I took of the painting of my hands when I was LD. Don't forget to check out your hands when you get in a LD :D (checking out hands are great for dream stabilization too).

Yeah.. see you can incubate a dream of walking through a doorway. I'll be interested in hearing of your results.

Return to “For Beginners”