Insight needed.

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.
random941028

Insight needed.

Postby random941028 » 09 Apr 2015 21:54

I began lucid dream training 2 days ago. I'm not a vivid dreamer and I rarely remember what I have dreamed. So far, I've accomplished a single dream journal entry. This was after I lay in bed yesterday night listening to binaural beats. When I was ready to sleep, I practiced the MILD method. I repeated my affirmation but did not have a recent dream to visualize. I set my alarm for 6 hours after I had fallen asleep. When it woke me, I was startled and could not remember if I had been dreaming. It slowly came back to me and I grabbed my journal and began recording what I had seen and felt. Now that I have a dream to visualize, I can repeat MILD using it.

For a moment, as I listened to the binaural beats, I felt a sense of weightlessness and lost track of time. I find that even though I feel like I am deeply relaxed, my mind is still surging with thoughts. Thoughts that have nothing to do with lucid dreaming or meditation. I can't seem to find quietness within my mind and this is frustrating. It is challenging to focus on visualizing when my thoughts are distracting me. Is this common for a beginner and will it become less noisy the more I practice? Another sensation I experienced was a rapid, more intense feeling of weightlessness and what I can only describe as a form of tunnel vision into what I am assuming/hoping was the beginning of the hypnagogic state. Is it possible to enter this state at such an early stage of training? The sensation came to an end almost as quickly as it began. I was unable to maintain it. I became too excited/nervous/intrigued/mystified. My right eyelid seemed to open slightly. I think this was due to the overwhelming emotions I was feeling brought on by the rush. Visualizing is challenging for me. I have a fairly analytical mind, this sort of creativity is not my strongest attribute.

Am I mixing and matching WILD and MILD by trying to reach hypnagogic state whilst listening to binaural beats before bed and then continuing affirmations/visualizing afterwards? Should I concentrate solely on WILD/MILD? Which technique works best with beginners or is it up to the dreamer to decide? I believe that listening to brainwave entertainment makes it easier to lucid dream as you learn to become entranced/enter hypnagogic state with less trouble. Is this true and does it only apply to WILD? If so, should I rather listen to binaural beats in the morning after my 'dream alarm' wakes me while I fall back to sleep/during an afternoon nap or is it okay for me to listen to them before bed and then continuing on with MILD affirmations and visualizations?

I am uncertain about techniques and which ones to use, when. I'd appreciate any advice/insight anyone may have for me.

Fira

Re: Insight needed.

Postby Fira » 09 Apr 2015 23:40

First of all, I'd like to say: Calm down a little. You've only been doing this for 2 days. That's nothing. Some people take months and months to have their first lucid dream, so the fact that you're not getting results after two days isn't abnormal at all. Patience is key.

I can't seem to find quietness within my mind and this is frustrating. It is challenging to focus on visualizing when my thoughts are distracting me. Is this common for a beginner and will it become less noisy the more I practice?

I've been actively practicing inducing Lucid Dreams for a little over a month now. Meditation is difficult to achieve for beginners. Some of it is trying too hard/expecting something amazing to happen. Don't get annoyed if you can't seem to quiet your mind at first. DON'T focus on visualization until AFTER your mind has been quieted. Do some meditating first. Just focus on the sound and/or the feeling of your breathing, and try to make the breathing steady and regular. If you find yourself coming out of focus, just gently pull yourself back to the feel and sound of your breathing. This can take anywhere from 10 to 20 minutes so you need to be patient. If it's not happening immediately, that means you're normal. Until you've been practicing meditation for quite some time, it will take minutes to enter a meditative state.

AFTER you find that your mind is quieter, THEN focus on visualization.

Another sensation I experienced was a rapid, more intense feeling of weightlessness and what I can only describe as a form of tunnel vision into what I am assuming/hoping was the beginning of the hypnagogic state. Is it possible to enter this state at such an early stage of training?

If you were tired/relaxed enough, then, yes, you may have been entering the hypnogagic state. Or it could have been nothing. I've never entered this state myself, so I wouldn't really know what it's like. From what I understand, yes it is possible to enter this state so early in your training. Some people have an easier time of it than others.

Visualizing is challenging for me. I have a fairly analytical mind, this sort of creativity is not my strongest attribute.

If you can't think of what to visualize about, then pick something REAL that you've seen many times, like your bedroom, close your eyes, and attempt to see it as clearly as possible in your head. Where is the bed in the room? What color are the blankets and sheets? Do you have a dresser? What color is it? What stuff sits on top of it? Anything? Do you have a closet? Is the door usually open or closed? Do you have a bathroom attached to it? What does that look like? Are the walls painted? What color? Focus on visualizing your room until you've got it down to the last detail you can remember. Don't stress about it if you can't see it well in your mind. If you're not a creative person, visualization will take practice.

Am I mixing and matching WILD and MILD by trying to reach hypnagogic state whilst listening to binaural beats before bed and then continuing affirmations/visualizing afterwards? Should I concentrate solely on WILD/MILD? Which technique works best with beginners or is it up to the dreamer to decide?

For me, neither WILD nor MILD work because I have insomnia so it takes over an hour to go to sleep at night. Trying to do either of these techniques would just keep me up all night. You may be different. Don't be discouraged. I've heard that WILD is more of an advanced technique. You may want to stick to just MILD until you actually achieve a few lucid dreams. Also, throughout the day, ask yourself if you're dreaming, while performing a reality check. A reality check could be trying to push your finger through your hand, or plugging your nose and trying to breathe through it. Do this ten to twelve times a day (or more). And just generally try to be more aware of your surroundings. If you find yourself spacing out during the day, bring your focus back to the present moment and look around. What's happening? Are there other people around? Do they seem weird to you? Do your surroundings seem normal, or do they seem off? Are you seeing or hearing or otherwise sensing something that you shouldn't be? You might be dreaming if you are. Just look around during the day and ask yourself these questions. This will help prime your brain to realize you're dreaming.

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 10 Apr 2015 13:41

The other did a good post to you and I'm going to say much of the same.

[/I find that even though I feel like I am deeply relaxed, my mind is still surging with thoughts. Thoughts that have nothing to do with lucid dreaming or meditation. I can't seem to find quietness within my mind and this is frustrating. It is challenging to focus on visualizing when my thoughts are distracting me. Is this common for a beginner and will it become less noisy the more I practice?

I too think you need to focus on meditation to slow down those surging thoughts, it must be quite shocking to be trying to visualise things with that. Visualization in which you are doing it yourself (guided visualisation is a easier on the mind) activates the mind and if you already had thoughts going on everywhere you are just then adding more stimuli to the mix.

It may take 2-3 months to learn to slow your mind down into a relaxed state.

I rarely remember what I have dreamed.

That could be an issue as you may get lucid and not remember it. From what I'm hearing you say I'm thinking it could be a good idea for you to just work on your dream recall and being mentally relaxed. You have these other things if you are trying to LD with these issues, certainly not working in your favour.

Now that isn't to say though that you cant maybe have an early LD or even end up finding out you could be a natural at it. People don't know till they try and for some just coming to a site like this and reading about LDs can be enough to start to trigger them off.

As far as mixing techniques, that's fine and for many combining techniques ends up working great. You wil find many of us who have been doing LD for a while have put together like our own way of doing things.
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

random941028

Postby random941028 » 12 Apr 2015 22:17

Thank you for your answers. I may have been trying too hard which could have resulted in my difficulty relaxing whilst practicing meditation. When I try meditate again, I won't try as hard and I'll allow it to come naturally. I do reality checks frequently throughout the day and have been more aware of my surroundings. A question I have about reality checking is, how do you truly question reality? I believe I am doing it correctly. I find that reality checking in an unfamiliar environment/situation allows me to do it with more intent. For instance, reality checking seems easier if I do it in a place in the garden I don't visit very often. Whereas it's more challenging for me when I do it somewhere I find myself a lot, say, the lounge or bedroom. Is this usually the case? Does anyone else understand what I mean?

My dream recall seems to be improving. I have had a few more entries in my dream journal and this morning I was able to remember (vaguely) 2 dreams I had without waking myself from REM.

Thank your for your meditation advice, Fira. I will be practicing using your suggested method! I hope your insomnia improves and I wish you luck with your dreaming.

I agree, taniaaust1. I need to focus on relaxing and forgetting about the outside world.

Return to “For Beginners”