Newbie Questions from me

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.
WannabeDreamer

Newbie Questions from me

Postby WannabeDreamer » 11 Apr 2015 04:24

I know this is long, but please read before you turn back. I have a couple questions regarding how to LD and what it feels like. I want to have my first LD that I can recall. You can answer any questions or give any advice to get started. Any help will be appreciated.

First I'll tell you guys what I've been doing and a little background about my dreams. I heard about it a while ago and finally want to do it. I research about it for an hour or 2 before I went to bed last night. While laying in bed I chant silently in my head "I will get in my dream tonight" for like 2 hours, which is probably a problem. I suddenly fell asleep, had a normal dream that I've forgot about. When I first woke up, I didn't get up. I was laying in my bed daydreaming for an hour. Not LD, but just fantasizing. I think of everything, but don't feel it. After an hour, I got up then research about LD all day. Litteraly from like 11am to, 7pm. I had like a total of an hour break between the time. So LD is in my mind all day now. Hope it helps. I've started a dream journal and my first entry was a dream I had 2 days ago which I remember semi vividly. I still remember some scenes, actions, and how many characters but no faces I remember. By that I mean, they had a face, but I don't know who. So I research more and start doing reality checks. But I'm not fully questioning reality when I do this. I will talk more about this in my questions. I do all sort of reality check, which I will list in the questions. I know I'm trying too hard and it might be a problem. So after all day of researching, here are some unanswered questions I have.

These first few questions is how do I LD.

1. In the WILD or WBTB technique, is it necessary to stay awake for 20-60 minutes after sleeping for 4-6 hours? How does it help LD?

2. Yesturday, I tried it to LD for the first time, and I failed. I do reality checks. I keep chanting "I will get in my dream" for like 2 hours. Any advice on what I should do.

3. I heard I have to actually "question reality". Each time I do reality check, I'm like 50/50 questioning reality. I have an app that remind me to do reality checks every hour. But I do reality check every 10 minutes. I heard it's recommended 10 times per day. I seem to do over 10 times an hour. So my questions here is, "How do I really "question reality"? and "Are too many reality checks a problem?". I think I might be trying too hard and failing. Also, I do all the reality check from "Checking my fingers", "Pushing through solid objects", "Looking at my watch, clock, and other small texts", and "flying". I really want to fly. It's a real life dream of mine. I know one day human can really do it.

4. How long did it take you guys to have your first LD? And what technique did you use? Have you guys mastered it like have it most or some of the time you actually try to have it.

5. What should I not do? I heard I shouldn't drink too much before bed because it risks waking up to use the bedroom.

6. I think I've had sleep paralysis before. I wake up and it's bright out but for like a minute or possibly even more, I can open my eye but not move. I heard this can help get into LD since I'm not fully awake. Can I use this to get to LD and how? It been a year since my last one, but want to know if it's a missed opportunity and what to do if it happens again.

7. How tired should I be? Most of the times I'm not too tired and just like daydream and fantasize until I suddenly fall asleep. I've never fell right into my fantasy.

These next questions is what LD feel like.

1. How does it feel really? Can I hold stuff and feel it? How do I walk? Is everything really like reality in a dreamworld? How does movement and actions in LD differ from reality?

2. How do dream characters act? Will they know me and know who they are? Will they respond if I talk to them? How will they respond? Will they respond how they would or will they respond how I think they would? What people will be there? Will there be my friends, family, and people I interact in real life everyday, or will my mind create strangers, which are people either my mind creates or people I seen some time in my life?

3. Can LD help me discover more about myself? My mind probably know things about me that I don't know. I heard you can ask some questions and get a respond? Can I ask "What's my biggest fear?" or "Who's my one true love?" and get an answer. Will the answer for the second question just be who I want it to be since it's all in my mind?

4. How does it feel inside? Do I ever need to use the bathroom and can I in LD? Do I ever feel hungry?

5. How does LD start? When do I know I'm in a LD? Does a world magically appear? What do I need to do? I seem to be trying too hard.

6. How do LD end? Do I suddenly wake up out of nowhere? Do I get a signal I'm about to wake up? Can I wake myself up anytime. Also, if I think about waking up and about my upcoming day, do I wake up prematurely?

I'm about to go to bed now and try to relax and say "I'm going to have a lucid dream" over and over, while drawing a picture in my mind. If I shouldn't do this or should do something else, say something in the next 20 minutes. Also, when I silently repeat the phrase, my mind is hooked to the phrase and I'm awake. It's hard to drift to sleep. I can't really sleep with anything in mind. The counting sheeps, or counting numbers method don't really work for me or maybe I'm just not tired. Thanks in advance for the help.

taniaaust1

Re: Newbie Questions from me

Postby taniaaust1 » 11 Apr 2015 12:33

While laying in bed I chant silently in my head "I will get in my dream tonight" for like 2 hours, which is probably a problem. I suddenly fell asleep, had a normal dream that I've forgot about.

The fact it took you 2hrs to get to sleep shows you were trying too hard or the affirmation you were using was keeping your mind too active (using a sentence will tend to do that). I suggest to just cut it down to "lucid dream" in time with your breathing. Think lucid on the in breath and dream on every outbreath. This also helps serve as a reminder of what you are trying to do when you go to sleep.

Try this a few times then post again for more suggestions if it hasn't helped at all. Make sure you are doing it at a time when you could sleep.

1. In the WILD or WBTB technique, is it necessary to stay awake for 20-60 minutes after sleeping for 4-6 hours? How does it help LD?

It's not necessarily but can be quite helpful for some (so some may find it necessary). I'll leave someone else who practices that to explain the whys it helps. For anyone who has insomnia, waking themselves up in middle of night can be quite bad.

3. I heard I have to actually "question reality". Each time I do reality check, I'm like 50/50 questioning reality. I have an app that remind me to do reality checks every hour. But I do reality check every 10 minutes. I heard it's recommended 10 times per day. I seem to do over 10 times an hour.

If you are doing it that much that may have caused your issue that you aren't properly questioning while doing the check. It's far more important to be doing the check properly (sincerely) then doing it a lot. I suggest you cut right back on the reality checks and when you do them, do them questioning properly.

Have you guys mastered it like have it most or some of the time you actually try to have it.

I used to succeed with my WILDs about 50-60% of the time. I've just got back into LD seriously several weeks ago and have had about 7 LDs in the past week (its taken me a few weeks to start to really have them well again). There are a few at this website who are very good at this (probably better then I :D ).

5. What should I not do? I heard I shouldn't drink too much before bed because it risks waking up to use the bedroom

There isn't much I'd say not to do except you reality checking every 10mins to the point you aren't doing them properly :lol: . It's usually more of a case of what a person could be doing better. What a person should or should not do is really an individual thing and based on their own experiences with this.

6. I think I've had sleep paralysis before. I wake up and it's bright out but for like a minute or possibly even more, I can open my eye but not move. I heard this can help get into LD since I'm not fully awake. Can I use this to get to LD and how? It been a year since my last one, but want to know if it's a missed opportunity and what to do if it happens again.

All that means is the person may be in the right state to have a LD, a person still needs to get into a good LD from there. I posted to your question on things on another thread here, I hope you see my advice there directed to you.

7. How tired should I be? Most of the times I'm not too tired and just like daydream and fantasize until I suddenly fall asleep. I've never fell right into my fantasy.

I do this at times when Im not even tired. As long as you can fall asleep its fine.

To your questions on what it's like and what can be experienced, I suggest you to read peoples LDs cause your questions could be answered by those. I'll even go and post one of my most recent ones for you to give you another to read. Here you go http://www.world-of-lucid-dreaming.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=16286&p=52446#p52446

5. How does LD start? When do I know I'm in a LD? Does a world magically appear? What do I need to do? I seem to be trying too hard.

It can start in so many different ways that its impossible for another to tell you how it will be for you.

It's possible to enter the right state but then fail to have a LD if one isn't aware they have started dreaming (this often happens to those who aim for sleep paralyse states). It can be hard to tell when one starts to dream if one has smoothly transitioned with a WILD without any warning and the reality you are experiencing could well be a dream (in this case a reality check can be helpful).

I'm about to go to bed now and try to relax and say "I'm going to have a lucid dream" over and over, while drawing a picture in my mind. If I shouldn't do this or should do something else, say something in the next 20 minutes. Also, when I silently repeat the phrase, my mind is hooked to the phrase and I'm awake. It's hard to drift to sleep. I can't really sleep with anything in mind

haha. you did so many questions that by the time a person answered them all and see you wanted to know something within the next 20mins which you put right at the end of your post, you would of already been gone.

Your attempt is far more likely to fail then succeed (and hence then unfortunately one step closer to programming yourself to have failures with WILD) as that one is over activating your mind, that long phase is bad enough, .too long, without the trying to draw a picture in your mind at the same time!!!

If you wish to use long affirmations for LD (they can be good to be used as they help ingrain the idea into the mind) but should be used during the day when you aren't trying to make attempt at it.

I really suggest to those who are trying to WILD to find out if there is an issue with the method they plan to try rather then trying something with it which is nearly certain to fail.

visualisation can be fine for some if one is visualising being outside of the physical body but only once one is in the right state (make sure you are very relaxed first) which makes it more likely to succeed and in which cause visualisation can help one leave the present environment.

There are 3 things you need for a WILD
1/ Enough body relaxation

2/ Enough mind relaxation (so dreaming can start happening other wise its purely just visualization which people do while meditating).

3/ The sleep state (I think may beginners forget they also need to allow themselves to be able to go to sleep and hence do things which stop sleep!). If you are preventing yourself from going to sleep, you are doing something wrong, it shouldn't be like that and you are doing something wrong. (I hope to demystify WILD so people start having an easier time with it).

WILD can be extremely easy and like very natura, you pass through the right state to go into a LD every single night when you go to sleepl. Too many try too hard.
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

WannabeDreamer

Postby WannabeDreamer » 11 Apr 2015 15:58

Thanks for the reply. Yesterday I failed again. Now that I see your advice, I believe I will suceed within the next few days or weeks. I just try too hard. I was awake until 2am. Normally without trying, it takes an hour for me to fall asleep. I don't have any sleeping problems. It's just hard to relax with so much things in mind. And I'm usually not sleepy. So what should I do to relax more and what should I do when laying in bed. I tried just repeating "Lucid Dream", those two words, but my mind is too active when I do that. I visualize what I want my LD to be and it end up being a 2 hour daydream. I finally fell asleep when I stopped trying completely for the night with LD in the back of my head. So my question is how do I fall asleep while I'm thinking about LD? Or should I just not think. Now, with reality checks, I try to reduce how many I do and try to convince me more that this might be a dream. I believe deep inside anything can be a dream but I need to convince all of me it's possible. When people do reality checks, how often is it done and what exactly do you do. What's on your mind when you do it and how do you check? I know everyone is different but learning about techniques might help. But with LD in my mind, I keep like semi-automatically do RC. So I guess I just need to live this life normally without thinking about LD before I can live a LD life. Now are you going to answer my questions about what LD is like or do you want it for me to be a goal to find out and make me find the answer myself? Even though I know it's possibly different for everyone. I'll try to not think about all day, convince myself this might be a dream, then relax more at night.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 12 Apr 2015 14:44

Yesterday I failed again. Now that I see your advice, I believe I will suceed within the next few days or weeks. I just try too hard. I was awake until 2am. Normally without trying, it takes an hour for me to fall asleep. I don't have any sleeping problems.

umm you are saying you don't have any sleeping problems but if it takes you an hour normally to fall asleep without even doing this, that IS a problem and you probably shouldn't be doing WILD techniques at all right before bed or in the middle of the night as it "could" cause worst asleep issues.

Research has shown that the average sleeper takes about 7 minutes to fall asleep.
That quote is from http://psychcentral.com/lib/stages-of-sleep/0002073

You could try though first thing when you wake up, don't move and try to go back into a sleep state. Also possibly doing meditation could be good for you. I suggest "progressive body relaxation" before you try to go to sleep (see if it shortens the time it takes you to get into a normal sleep).

Once you've taught yourself to relax your body well, just laying there "only" trying to observe your breathing could be helpful (don't think of any words currently, your mind is too active). A few weeks of just spending 20 mins a day doing meditation by just watching your breath could end up being helpful to slow down your thoughts. I think you need to focus on basics.

I suggest do those reality checks well, keep yourself a dream journal and practice relaxation techniques to try to improve your ability to get to sleep. Seeing something like WBTB wouldn't be advisable in your case (unless you go back to sleep easy enough after you've been asleep for a while?).. it becomes even important that you are doing the reality checks correctly.

What's on your mind when you do it and how do you check?

When you do a reality check, you need to be trying to see and thinking that there may be a strange result that you wouldn't see in physical reality. If you are looking for "normal", your thinking is wrong (as the reality check may comply with that thought and then fail).. you need to be thinking to look for the strange. For example Is there anything strange about my hand? (while counting fingers) .. don't go and think "is my hand normal.

No matter what reality check you do, you are looking for the strange.

I suggest to also reality check to something also which happens in your dreams to program yourself to do it at that time rather then just relying only on yourself doing it in your dreams at any time.

WannabeDreamer

Postby WannabeDreamer » 12 Apr 2015 17:31

taniaaust1 wrote:
Yesterday I failed again. Now that I see your advice, I believe I will suceed within the next few days or weeks. I just try too hard. I was awake until 2am. Normally without trying, it takes an hour for me to fall asleep. I don't have any sleeping problems.

umm you are saying you don't have any sleeping problems but if it takes you an hour normally to fall asleep without even doing this, that IS a problem and you probably shouldn't be doing WILD techniques at all right before bed or in the middle of the night as it "could" cause worst asleep issues.

It only take an hour to fall asleep because I like to create a fantasy and a lot in on my mind when I do that. Yesterday, I intentionally just try to fall asleep normally with nothing in my mind. I wasn't any more tired than I normally am. I just close my eye, focus on my breathing, and fell asleep within 10 minutes. I did the "61 Point Relaxation Technique" and relaxed my body and cleared my mind. There was a lot of thoughts on my mind but I didn't engaged any.

With reality checks, I am starting to actuallu convince myself this might be a dream by considering what can happen if I think it happening and if what happened 10 minutes ago or even 10 seconds ago really happen. Is that a good way for reality checks? I do reality checks about once an hour or one every few hours. With like an extra one every few hours. Im awake for about 12 hours, since I sleep in right now, and would say do about 20 or less reality checks a day. This is just yesterday actually. Is it still too many? I have an app that reminds me when to do it but sometimes do it before the buzzer go off. The app is set at 15 random times from 6:30am to 10pm. Should I change the amount and try to only do RC when it goes off? Recently, I been waking at 10 or 11am so 2 buzzer go off before I wakeful. Is the change in routine have any affect? My normal 6-10pm routine is returning soon. I stopped focusing too much on LD, but it's still pop up in my mind once in a while. Also some times when I walk through a door, I examine the room and look around. I'm trying to build awareness. Another question I have is "How do Lucid Dreams occur?" like do people have to think about it and maybe visualize or do people have to try to reenter a dream and take control? Thanks for all your help so far and I hope you can guide me all the way to my first lucid dream. Also i do have a dream journal and been writing my dreams down. But what details should I write down? The only sense I use is sight and hear and I don't remember exactly what they say. I write down the events and actions people do. Should I write more details and if so, what?

[ Post made via Android ] Image

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 13 Apr 2015 10:36

With reality checks, I am starting to actuallu convince myself this might be a dream by considering what can happen if I think it happening and if what happened 10 minutes ago or even 10 seconds ago really happen. Is that a good way for reality checks? I do reality checks about once an hour or one every few hours. With like an extra one every few hours. Im awake for about 12 hours, since I sleep in right now, and would say do about 20 or less reality checks a day. This is just yesterday actually. Is it still too many? I have an app that reminds me when to do it but sometimes do it before the buzzer go off. The app is set at 15 random times from 6:30am to 10pm.

There is no like set amount of times someone should do a reality check as long as its enough that it gives it a chance to work for that person. You need to be able to keep doing them in way you aren't doing them half heartedly and truly focused on the check and hence that is where if someone was doing them so many time in a hour and hence getting bored with the reality checking or starting to do them without believing it may not be physical reality which would be the issue.

Some may only reality check a few times a day to a set thing which they know also occurs in their dreams, while another may do it every hour randomly.

How ever you choose to do these, you should also be doing a reality check before you get out of bed in case you are in a false awakening.

Also some times when I walk through a door, I examine the room and look around. I'm trying to build awareness.

Encouraging awareness is always a good thing to be doing.

Another question I have is "How do Lucid Dreams occur?" like do people have to think about it and maybe visualize or do people have to try to reenter a dream and take control?

People do it different ways, it depends on what works for the individual. Some do visualise a dream and then enter, while others it can overstimulate their minds and stop them from being able to get to sleep and in their case it may find it best to just allow their mind to do all the creating eg be it trying to fall asleep while just watching the breathing or innerly chanting or whatever to trigger off a WILD.

When a person gets in the right state, the persons subconsciousness is quite capable of creating a dream if ones waking mind isn't getting in the way. A person does not have to create a dream. One can suddenly just spontaneously find themselves in a dream too while other times the dream entry is slower.

I myself don't do any visualisation at all. I do not try to create anything at all when I WILD. On the rare times I get HI though (probably about 5% of my WILDS have HI), I do use it to help get into a LD (while others don't). The visualisation kind of WILD technique is just one of the many WILD methods used.

Also i do have a dream journal and been writing my dreams down. But what details should I write down? The only sense I use is sight and hear and I don't remember exactly what they say. I write down the events and actions people do. Should I write more details and if so, what?

Sounds like you are doing the right thing there. Write more if you want to write it. In my non lucid dreams I don't tend to remember things said either.

KethSuzane

Postby KethSuzane » 14 Apr 2015 14:53

It means that you are taking very long time for sleep, due to which your minds are active.
Samsung 4k TV --->4k.com/tv

Return to “For Beginners”