Hooded Figures

What have you learned from your dream characters? What do they say, what do they represent, what motivates them, why do they exist?
Summerlander

Hooded Figures

Postby Summerlander » 12 Apr 2015 20:33

I used to think they were just thanatological dream symbols. Now I know Frederik van Eeden was onto something. What I evince here is not the product of New Age hysteria. Believe me, I have spent a lot of time on forums like these refuting paranormal claims. But experiences reported by certain subjects recently got my attention. Aparently, the dream world is not entirely subjective--especially when the brain is in Gamma, which allows for lucid dreaming and out-of-body sensations. Perhaps Waggoner really was on the right track. It seems that certain beings in shared mental space can tug at your metaphysical essence, as it were--in some cases perceptually pulling your leg :mrgreen: --until they succeed in completely disconnecting you from the physical realm into the surreal... :-o

Feel free to post any experiences you might have had with these discarnate beings. I suspect they are the gatekeepers. We can no longer be sceptical of their existence. They are real. I will soon elaborate. Robert Monroe might have been right.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

taniaaust1

Re: Hooded Figures

Postby taniaaust1 » 15 Apr 2015 12:01

I think my jaw just fell open to read your post as that's the last kind of thing I'd expect you to say. What made you change or go to be more open to the possibility? as obviously proof of these things are very hard to get.

I had several experiences where someone or something tried to pull me out of bed. In two of those experiences I was completely awake and wasn't even laying down.

One time when I was on my computer in a chat room and suddenly something tried to pull me out, it was tugging at me hard, it was scary to feel this while completely awake and all I could think at the time was that whatever it was must of been quite powerful to be able to have that affect on me when fully awake and get my attention away from my online chat friends). I grabbed hold of my physical chair to try to keep myself here. I really wonder what I would of experienced had I not fought it from doing that. Was it something good or something bad?

another time when I was completely awake, I had my teacher who used to teach me psychic stuff (he was very experienced at OBE and other things) on the phone and he was trying to help me to astrally project to his place to which I did sucede a little with his help and saw something there. He tried to help me by tugging at me astrally and trying to pull me to him.
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 16 Apr 2015 18:17

You're experiences are similar to mine recently. Do you know Robert Bruce? When I have more time I will e plain. Thank you for sharing xx

"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

deschainXIX

Postby deschainXIX » 17 Apr 2015 02:02

I thought we had already condemned the propitiation of the credulous by the argumentative fallacy that is “anecdotal evidence”? There are plenty of recurring phenomena in the hallucinatory, subjective dream world that are not identifiable entities--what about dreaming of flying? or going to work/school and realizing that one’s self is naked? or being chased by something and being debilitated so as to be unable to flee? or falling? or snakes or spiders or losing teeth or having sex? Why do we share dream elements? Could it perhaps be because we are of the same species and share the same basic neurology and experience and day-to-day, industrialized livelihoods? No, no--it must be supernatural forces! Well, I’ve never been visited by hooded figures, nor old hags, nor boogeymen, nor any of the countless nightmare tropes that charlatans use to elicit impressed gasps from crowds of oneirologically-inexperienced ignoramuses.

I guess ghosts just don’t like me (and the population of people who are disinterested with pseudoscientific fields). :mrgreen:
Well said.

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 17 Apr 2015 10:31

LMAO! :-D

I've decided to become an atheistic priest. If they want it so badly. Give it to them. I have experienced hooded and veiled figures before though. (My New Age days.) :mrgreen:

- Padmasambhava

deschainXIX

Postby deschainXIX » 19 Apr 2015 00:00

Lol. Maybe my Civil War attire-clad hallucination, described in the Boogeyman section, is somehow related. Or it's just a "bit of indigestion." :D

I know my aunt used to experience sleep-paralytic hallucinations in which a veiled man would enter her bedroom, stride to her sleeping husband's side and drive a knife into his solar plexus, which would then cause her to awaken. In fact, her description of the man's clothing made me think of the mid-1800s America--a detail that aroused my impressible suspicions since I happen live in relative proximity to Gettysburg and a few other critical battlefields. I asked a few other people I knew if they had ever seen or hallucinated men wearing similar dark clothing; no one had any idea what I was talking about (not surprisingly). :)

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Well said.

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 19 Apr 2015 01:07

Hehehe... that figures :-P

- Padmasambhava

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 19 Apr 2015 04:46

Summerlander wrote:You're experiences are similar to mine recently. Do you know Robert Bruce? When I have more time I will e plain. Thank you for sharing xx

I highly resonate to much of what Robert Bruce has experienced. I brought his book after reading it from the library and being blown away by it as I found he'd experienced a couple of identical very strange experiences as I had. (I was having an odd spontaneous OBE experience here and there at that point of time but hadn't learnt how to trigger off an OBE myself)

His OBE methods though don't work for me.
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

jasmine2

Postby jasmine2 » 25 Apr 2015 03:33

Several years ago, while in a borderline hypnagogic state, I began to "see" a group of 4 or 5 shadowy figures, wearing what looked like magic shamans' masks and costumes. I entered a lucid dream and watched entranced, as these figures beat drums, chanted, and performed a dramatic, mysterious dance.

- Regarding borderline sleeping-awake phenomena, I recommend -

- Web search - "Rebecca Turner - Articles about hypnagogia" - world-of-lucid-dreaming.com

- "9 Ways To Wake Up From Sleep Paralysis" by Ryan Hurd - dreamstudies.org
See "related posts" at bottom of article.

- Search - Carl Jung's quote - "Philemon and other figures ..." - goodreads.com

- "Engaging The Imaginal Realm: Doorway To Collective Wisdom" by Carol Frenier and Lois Sekerak Hogan - collectivewisdominitiative.org
A thought-provoking collection of essays

jasmine2

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 25 Apr 2015 12:50

"It is quite possible to lose one's sense of being a separate self and to experience a kind of boundless, open awareness--to feel, in other words, at one with the cosmos. This says a lot about the possibilities of human consciousness, but it says nothing about the universe at large. And it sheds no light at all on the relationship between mind and matter. The fact that it is possible to love one's neighbour as oneself should be a great finding for the field of psychology, but it lends absolutely no credence to the claim that Jesus was the son of God, or even that God exists. Nor does it suggest that the 'energy' of love somehow pervades the cosmos. These are historical and metaphysical claims that personal experience cannot justify."

- Sam Harris; Waking Up; page 43-44

- Padmasambhava

Return to “Dream Characters”