What's your interpretation of this?

For all other chat which isn't directly related to lucid dreaming and the world of sleep and dreams.
DesertExplorer

What's your interpretation of this?

Postby DesertExplorer » 16 Apr 2015 18:07

"Imagination is the real and eternal world of which this vegetable universe is but a faint shadow."

~William Blake

I am not a native speaker so I find this redaction rather difficult and I would like to hear you.
Anyone who will not receive the kingdom of God like a little child will never enter it...

- Jesus Christ

buildit

Re: What's your interpretation of this?

Postby buildit » 16 Apr 2015 22:15

Again we can only know the reality we perceive as real. If you can convince yourself your dreams are real then for you they certainly will be and then this reality becomes the nightmare.
Is Lucid Dreaming the brains preparation for the next step of human evolution when we can escape the corporeal bond of our bodies?

deschainXIX

Postby deschainXIX » 16 Apr 2015 23:03

Blake is disinterested with the solidity and vast decrepitude of the real world and thinks that only true beauty is derived of the human mind, of ourselves. And there's also the connotation that reality is only a construct of our psyches. In other words, the motility and speculative nature of human imagination is superior to what really goes on in reality. (Science is boring, just random, strange facts about our lifeless, poorly-designed universe; art and dreaming is much more fun!)

That's just my thoughts on the maxim, of course. I don't necessarily agree with it. :mrgreen:

I must prefer Lawrence Krauss's assessment:

"The universe has a much greater imagination than we do, which is why the real story of the universe is far more interesting than any of the fairy tales we have invented to describe it."
Well said.

DesertExplorer

Postby DesertExplorer » 16 Apr 2015 23:45

buildit wrote:Again we can only know the reality we perceive as real. If you can convince yourself your dreams are real then for you they certainly will be and then this reality becomes the nightmare.

I lost in the last word. Why nightmare?
Anyone who will not receive the kingdom of God like a little child will never enter it...

- Jesus Christ

DesertExplorer

Postby DesertExplorer » 16 Apr 2015 23:45

deschainXIX wrote:In other words, the motility and speculative nature of human imagination is superior to what really goes on in reality.

I think that what he perceives as reality is all that you mentioned. And the theory of reality is entirely subjective based on your state of mind. From what I can understand until now is that you personally perceive this as what is the average state of our minds. For example, we can agree that an apple can be red, green or something between. I mean that you understand reality as only what can be shared among people. If that's the case, a small group of hooligans with their own conclusions about the world they live in can form a part of reality.

- Jesus Christ

buildit

Postby buildit » 16 Apr 2015 23:47

DesertExplorer wrote:
buildit wrote:Again we can only know the reality we perceive as real. If you can convince yourself your dreams are real then for you they certainly will be and then this reality becomes the nightmare.

Because if you treat the waking world as a dream it will likely turn out bad or at the least be a disappointment. ;)
Is Lucid Dreaming the brains preparation for the next step of human evolution when we can escape the corporeal bond of our bodies?

DesertExplorer

Postby DesertExplorer » 16 Apr 2015 23:56

buildit wrote:
DesertExplorer wrote:

Because if you treat the waking world as a dream it will likely turn out bad or at the least be a disappointment. ;)

Haha..

- Jesus Christ

amarastriel

Postby amarastriel » 18 Apr 2015 02:08

I agree with what most of the others have said. It's his belief that "reality" is subjective to the individual interpreting it through their imagination. I use to wonder "what if, what I saw as a human arm someone else saw as a squid's tentacle, but because we learn what those objects are from the descriptions given by our caretakers when we're young. Maybe my wife sees my five fingers as bat claws but because her mother taught her they were 'white, slender, ect... ect...' (even though she sees them as black spider legs, but her father taught her what to teach her children) and so everything is just a wacky, but because we've organized our world into fixed nouns, verbs and adjectives, nobody ever realizes each individual sees an entirely separate reality."
There's the communal reality created by our species agreeing on what specific things are; individual reality that stems from that individuals brain; and then there is another individual reality that is created from their imagination. I believe in God, ghosts, a soul, astral projection and magic; to me that's all real, but to someone like my father; God, ghosts and the boogieman are just stories that he enjoyed scaring the hell out of me with.

one final note, it also reminds me of a poem I wrote (I believe Tennyson wrote something very similar as well, but please don't quote me on that.)

Cruel science.
You've brought us life.
You've found distant stars.
You've split the atom and with it,
You've annihilated thousands,
yet
You've split the atom and with it,
You've brought comfort and opportunity to millions.
You've deceived us well.
You've massacred the faeries; the elves; the ogres and trolls.
You've stolen our staves and wands; rusted our enchanted blades.
You've desecrated our sacred groves and enchanted forests.
You've crumbled the wizards' towers and silenced their arcane words.
You've banished the ancient gods, and imprisoned once mighty goddesses.
You've broken our magic and offer biology and chemistry in its place.
You've left us with doubt; no explanation for what awaits when we pass.
You've obliterated it all; except for hope and belief.
You've left us alone to guided by faith and theory when your physics fail.
You've given us much; but you have taken away so much more.
You've discovered the truth, so you claim, and explained away our innocence.
but You've not won.
We remember the faeries and the enchanted trees.
We see their sacred groves and the roaming unicorns.
We hear the words of ancient deities still echoing through their ruined temples.
We hold onto the magic in our hearts, and visit the mystic realms in our dreams,
but,
You continue to prove your truths.
You continue to destroy our youthful fantasies,
and,
We are left to wonder how long can continue to believe.
You continue to strip away mysteries of our universe,
and with it,
You Cruel Science, continue to suck away our wonder
Our curiosity,
Our imagination,
Our dreams.
How far must you go?
How much must you take?
How much of our magic will ease your thirst? And...
How much of your reality must you leave behind for us to suffer with?

Sorry I didn't realize it was so long.
It's an older piece of writing I did, and I don't think I've written any poetry for at least a couple years. Just not my cup of tea. I hope it didn't annoy or bore you too much. Despite it not being very good stylistically, the message I feel is important. Science and discovery comes with a price. A little off the original topic, but the quote somehow dug it out of my brain. Good luck and blessings to all, and I hope you have some wonderful, magical (and of course lucid) dreams.
A good story can save your neck for the night, but half a good story can save it tomorrow night as well.. Rough Idea of Arabian Nights

DesertExplorer

Postby DesertExplorer » 18 Apr 2015 10:45

Thank you for sharing amarastriel! That was very interesting.

- Jesus Christ

DesertExplorer

Postby DesertExplorer » 18 Apr 2015 13:19

And I found a very interesting quote from Marcus Aurelius I wanted to share: "Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth."

If everyone disagrees, it's just their opinion. :D

- Jesus Christ

Return to “Off-Topic”