dimensions and natural laws

For those who wish to discuss the purely scientific aspects of sleep and dreams, including new research and future technologies.
buildit

dimensions and natural laws

Postby buildit » 16 Apr 2015 22:11

So again I had a LD that spurred on a series of logic about astrophysics and dimensions outside three dimensions. The dream itself wouldn't make much sense but I wanted to put the ideas into words. I decided to use a phrase from my dream though......

Dimensional Incline

In postulating the existence of other dimensions I began to think along the lines of shared properties. For example if we in the third dimension (3D) experience time what other dimension would also experience it? I reasoned that the second dimension (2D) would have the proper degrees of freedom to in fact experience time. However, relativity (gravity) would not transfer into a 2D environment as there are not enough degrees of freedom to allow for space to curve resulting in gravity.
Now say we look at time in 1D? Well as a singularity with 1 degree of freedom time would not be allowed if movement along that single coordinate is to exist so 1D worlds likely do not experience time. This idea fascinated me with the idea that forces in our dimension might be limited to only a pair of dimensions and not transferable to others. The thought experiment lead me to think about gravity (relativity). If it is not transferable to 2D environments it MUST exist in both 3D and 4D environments. Would such a sharing of a law of nature between dimensions also have equal effects in each?
I bring up the issue of dark matter and dark energy. Both particles whose effects we can measure in our universe and yet we can not detect the particles creating the extra mass or lack there of. Are particles in 4D effecting space and mass in our universe by sharing their gravitational pull? If so that would mean gravity is a 3D and 4D shared phenomenon. But if my postulation is correct time is not experience in 4D. Could we prove this?
Einstein never interpreted time "t" as a fourth dimension of space.  Time while capable of being expressed as a degree of freedom appears to be separate from dimensional space. So his interpretation seems to contain a clue to back my postulate. Since I’ve gone abstract at this point lets just continue the reasoning. If 4D shares a gravitational effect with 3D might the particles who’s gravitational mass we can detect in our universe actually be matter in the fourth dimension which in turn is feeling the gravity well of our galaxy in their’s? How else could dark energy, a negative form of gravity, which is pushing space itself apart be explained. We do not experience negative gravity in local space, it’s effect is only seen outside our galaxy where we presume matter is mostly absent. Meanwhile, our galaxies spin too fast for the mass to hold them together. It seems logical that the powerful gravity our galaxy feels is the result of matter in the 4D which exerts a stronger pull than matter in our dimension does. The idea that 4D mass exerts more gravity seems intuitive as the extra dimension mathematically adds more volume. Where a cube is L3 in 3D, a tesseract has volume L4.
If we could find a means to control matter in the 4D we might finally have those flying cars we were promised 50 years ago. But lets keep this postulation under control by looking at something I said near the beginning. 1D Isn’t effected by gravity, where could we possibly see this. Again I speculate that this makes perfect sense when we analyze the physics of a black hole or singularity. The immense gravitational well is theorized by physics to collapse matter, somehow, into a single point of space where the laws of physics become so twisted their math no longer works. I suspect this is because past a certain point this mass passes into the first dimension. Now that does not change the surrounding physics of space since 1D is also timeless so the hole never closes once opened. In affect the point of intersect between the two dimensions remains even after the matter passes from our dimension to the singularity resulting in a continuous massive gravitational well from which nothing escapes. It also preserves the physics of information being lost or destroyed once passing the event horizon.
But now lets look the other way and think about a force shared between the 4D and 5D universes. What physical law might exist between those two? Well, we really can’t know because it will never interact in our dimension. Here is where a greater understanding of the mathematical rules for the new degrees of freedom pass beyond me. What could join with gravity to rule a tesseract? I could start making wild guesses but they’d all be based upon our 3D reality.
So I’ll conclude with the idea that maybe we should be looking for 2D space and not 4D space? Our extra dimension might allow us to exert forces upon the 2D space easier than we can effect 4D space? It's all theoretical and based on 3D math since that is the only dimension we can experience outside of our dreams. :D
Is Lucid Dreaming the brains preparation for the next step of human evolution when we can escape the corporeal bond of our bodies?

James

Re: dimensions and natural laws

Postby James » 12 May 2015 21:36

I think you're mixing up time dimensions with space dimensions, yes they are part of the same field but they are not dependant on each other, if we had two time dimensions then we would be able to manipulate time as easily as we can manipulate 2D geometry, you would always be living, sleeping, awake, dead, dying and being born and you could move throughout it all as easily as I am moving my fingers to type - however I haven't counted for how the extra dimension would affect states of matter and energy. One of the biggest problems with extra dimensions is how it would affect things like the four fundamental forces, one example being how light would propagate. (Our universe has three spatial and one time.)
You might be interested in string theory, I haven't been reading too much into it lately because I'm 16 and I have exams now that actually affect my life which sucks but from what I remember it's based off the idea that 1D strings can 'vibrate' energy into other dimensions and the dimensions one through to ten do exist, however most are rolled up around the vibrations and can't be seen at the scale we are familiar with. An analogy people like to use is an ant on a rope. It has two paths, around the rope and along the rope. Observing it from a far distance looking down the rope you wouldn't be able to see it move across it, only around it.
http://www.superstringtheory.com/experm/exper51.html
Edit: Oddly enough, this [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rjbtsX7twc] video is what introduced me to this topic, enjoy it I guess :P
Was it worth it?

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 13 May 2015 00:00

Stephen Hawking, the great scientist, reckons M-theory (a string theory variant) is a great csndidate for a great theory of everything. But Hawking hasn't always been right. Feynman was never keen on string theory as it is still very much a what-if scenario (we are talking about depths in the roots of reality that we still can't reach). Krauss would say that perhaps we should be looking for a theory of ANYTHING rather than a TOE.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

James

Postby James » 13 May 2015 13:22

Todays xkcd was coincidentally relevant :D
http://www.explainxkcd.com/wiki/index.php/1524:_Dimensions
Was it worth it?

Return to “Dream Science”