WOW! My First Successful LD -The Full Details!

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
ezzolucid

WOW! My First Successful LD -The Full Details!

Postby ezzolucid » 21 Apr 2015 15:11

Finnnaaalllllyyyyy!!!!

I have had LD in the past but only just found out about WILD a few weeks ago so thought i would try it. I spent night after night waking after 3 - 6 hours then getting up for 10, 20 mins or a n hour then lying dead still on my back (not my normal sleeping position). My neck would go numb, the swallow reflex was awful, I had HI, dream snippets, i chanted but after 3 weeks all i had was HI vibrations and some vivid dreams but no LD

2 nights ago, i woke after 4 hours and stayed up for 30 mins but then couldnt get back to sleep for 2 hours then simply slept as normal. it was getting frustrating

Last night i woke after 4 hours, went to the loo then sat in bed for 10 mins, I then once again lay down on my back and started breathing to relax etc, after 15 mins i was so uncomfortable concerning my mouth, swallow impulse and my neck was numb. None of these feelings were a 'rollover signal' it was simply because i didnt want to swallow and so i was soooooo dry.

Anyway, after about 10 mins of this hell, i had just had enough, there was no HI and only partial numbness in my arm.

I then decided enough is enough and i chose to swallow and then GO INTO MY NORMAL SLEEPING POSITION (on my side) and continue from there. I wasnt sure as im always told to lie on my back when WILDing

As soon as i turned over i had some good and immediate 'stage 1' HI then within what seemed seconds i felt like i was accelerating in a circle at high g-force speed being swung around. I knew this was good news so i remained calm and observed the exhilarating feeling, much like a rollercoaster, then it just stopped after about 10 seconds and nothing! BUT i then remembered about false awakenings and decided to do the 'hold nose and breath' test

I did this and i could breath! i then opened my sleep eyes, got out of bed to the landing and was conscious enough to remember to rub my hands together. I floated down the stairs and into the garden in full control. Next i was in someone elses house and a woman was there :-) i briefly had LS and was about 80% lucid, The rest of what happened after seemed to be like a normal NL dream as when i woke i remembered the first part as lucid but the second part was just like a normal dream

Did i lose lucidity halfway? i guess so. I didnt perform any other RC apart from the initial one, should i have done so?

Anyway, the key for me was to lie in my normal sleeping position and repeat a mantra - this worked although i dont know if the 30 mins lying on my back before that had anything to do with it

Whats the deal with lying on your back to wild? all it does for me i give me a constant swallow impulse and make my neck area numb

Im not sure whether to start of wild on my back again and then move to my side after a while when im relaxed. The HI only came when i went on my side? strange

any thought? :D

DataTunnel

Re: WOW! My First Successful LD -The Full Details!

Postby DataTunnel » 22 Apr 2015 05:16

ezzolucid wrote:Did i lose lucidity halfway? i guess so. I didnt perform any other RC apart from the initial one, should i have done so?

Congrats on your lucid experience!

I've had a lot of LDs that didn't last because I got too excited and started running around doing things much too quickly, without stabilizing the dream enough. This would either end with me waking up, or me going into an unconscious non lucid dream.

From now on, when you become lucid, just take a second to sense out your environment and just generally take it slow. I know when you realize you're dreaming, all these things start running through you're head that you need to do because you think "I may not have much time!" But truly, if you take your time in the beginning and just let things flow, the dream will last much longer anyway, rather than getting super excited and unstable, which in turn destabilizes the dream. See what I mean? If you're calm and stable, the dream will be too!

You'd said you rubbed your hands together, which is a common stabilization technique, so I think you're on the right track. Stabilization techniques are SUPER helpful. Keep doing the hands one and maybe even practice some other ones, it's good to develop a routine with it.

Whats the deal with lying on your back to wild? all it does for me i give me a constant swallow impulse and make my neck area numb

Im not sure whether to start of wild on my back again and then move to my side after a while when im relaxed. The HI only came when i went on my side? strange

any thought? :D

It's funny you bring this up, because my last successful WILD happened exactly the way yours did. I tried laying on my back, got frustrated, and then laid on my side like I usually do when I sleep and BAM, in a lucid dream. The reason you're having trouble WILDing on your back is because you aren't used to fully relaxing on your back (this is the same issue I have with WILD).

I'm not sure why WILDing is considered better on your back. I did actually read somewhere that having a LD in general is more likely when you lay on your back, but that could be false.

Either way, you don't HAVE to lay on your back for WILD. If it worked the way you did it, keep doing that! The fact that you had a LD is a great sign, so keep doing what your doing!

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 22 Apr 2015 09:36

Anyway, the key for me was to lie in my normal sleeping position and repeat a mantra - this worked although i dont know if the 30 mins lying on my back before that had anything to do with it

Im not sure whether to start of wild on my back again and then move to my side after a while when im relaxed.

Congrats. You may just not be able to relax enough on your back to have a WILD then.

Note.. that though doesn't necessarily mean it didn't help you at all, I've found in my past the laying one my back for a while first did still help (otherwise I used to just fall into an unaware sleep). Laying on back just helps by breaking a persons normal going into a non aware sleep routine so the time you spent doing it still may of helped break your normal routine and signal to your subconsciousness that you were really wanting something else to occur. You simply though wasn't able to relax in that position to go further while in it. Hit the right relaxed state while awake enough and you should get your WILD.

I personally will try to WILD for up to an hour on my back and if it hasn't worked by then, I roll over my side and just allow myself to go to sleep with still with an intent to go LD the moment I do so. That often would work as it was like I'd been programing myself to go WILD the whole time I was on my back and my body was more ready to do it the moment I got more comfortable.

Now days I don't need to lay on my back to WILD. Anyway.. experiment and find out what works best for you, it could well be doing a little of both or maybe you will WILD fine by only using your normal sleep position (if it doesn't lead you quickly into a normal unaware sleep).

Yeah you lost your LD half way through as you didn't hold in mind that you were dreaming the whole time so just lost it at some point. Try to remind yourself it is a dream every now and then and try to never loose the thought that whatever you are experiencing is a dream. Allowing oneself to go along with the actual dream too much for too long periods can also cause one to forget.. so try to stay in control of things,

Focus on things like you LD goals (and things which help remind you you are in a dream) if you start to realise your mind is wandering during a dream.
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

ezzolucid

Postby ezzolucid » 22 Apr 2015 11:27

Thanks for the detailed reply, its great when people really take the time to respond in a helpful way :-)

I appriciate that everyone is different and each WILD is different with many situation variables thrown in but would the following sound like something to try or are there any obvious flaws that a newbie like me has overlooked.

Here goes - I will sleep for 4-6 hours, then wake up for about 15 mins. When i go back to bed i will lie on my back for about 5 mins just to do some relaxation excersises. Once I am relaxed i will then go into my normal sleeping position on my side. I now know that i may fall asleep quicker as this is my usual sleeping position so i will repeat my mantra ' i am dreaming' with each breath as my anchor to keep my consciousness awake whilst observing any HI. All the whilst i will keep dead still to trick my body into sleeping.

Does this sound like a plan? Im thinking that by only staying awake for 15 mins and then using my normal sleeping position that I will be primed for sleep within a few minits and so thats why a mantra will be important to keep that glimmer of awareness there. Hopefully this may recreate my 2nd lucid dream. I dont want to lie on my back again for an hour with a dry mouth and numb neck - i dont see the point of that (unless im missing something)

Also, i can understand why people may FEEL like a LD is more likely sleeping on the back if they believe in the astral body leaving the real body (i dont believe in that, i believe its all in the mind) but surely i cant see why a sleeping position would make any difference?

Anyways, how bout that plan above :mrgreen:

DataTunnel

Postby DataTunnel » 22 Apr 2015 20:38

ezzolucid wrote:Does this sound like a plan? Im thinking that by only staying awake for 15 mins and then using my normal sleeping position that I will be primed for sleep within a few minits and so thats why a mantra will be important to keep that glimmer of awareness there. Hopefully this may recreate my 2nd lucid dream. I dont want to lie on my back again for an hour with a dry mouth and numb neck - i dont see the point of that (unless im missing something)

Hey, if you think this will work for you, try it out! Remember, you can practice this every night, so you have plenty of time to refine your technique and see what works. The only way to see what works for you is to practice it and experience it for yourself, so go for it!

If after a many attempts this plan doesn't work, then try something else! This is how your techniques will evolve over time to fit your personal mind/body.

In general though, it sounds like a good plan and like it could work.

Also, i can understand why people may FEEL like a LD is more likely sleeping on the back if they believe in the astral body leaving the real body (i dont believe in that, i believe its all in the mind) but surely i cant see why a sleeping position would make any difference?

I have often wondered about this myself, as I don't really believe in the astral body thing either. The only thing I can think of as to why sleeping on your back is different is that you're at equilibrium.

What I mean is, when you sleep on your side, gravity is pushing down on the up side of your body and your other side is pushing down on the bed, so there is a different feeling on one side of your body than the other.

Now, think about laying on your back. When you lay flat on your back, all parts of your body are equal and symmetrical. Both sides of your body feel exactly the same. My theory is that laying on your back could cause more dreaming to occur because the sensation of your body being "equal" is closer to what you experience when you're walking around in real life.

You don't walk around in real life with the left side of your body feeling different than the right. Most of the time, when we're sitting, standing, or walking around, our bodies are at a pretty much equal symmetrical state, as far as what we're sensing. So by that logic, being "equal" on your back when you sleep causes more dreams because your body sensation is closer to real life, and dreams try to simulate real life. See what I mean? Plus, you are more centered when you lay on your back, invoking more of a meditative state, especially when you try a WILD.

Remember though, this is just my theory. I don't really have any idea why sleeping on your back causes more dreams (or if it even does in general).

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 25 Apr 2015 10:28

I dont want to lie on my back again for an hour with a dry mouth and numb neck - i dont see the point of that (unless im missing something)

Well a person doesn't just want to fall into an unaware sleep either, once again its just a matter of what works for the individual. I'd say its not good if its giving you neck which is bothering you as this whole thing if it isn't enjoyable to you, it will be also hard to stick with it and if it prevents you from getting to sleep within a reasonable time, it's an issue to your attempts.

but surely i cant see why a sleeping position would make any difference?

As I said before its simply to do with "habits" (nothing to do with astral body). You are used to going to bed and falling into an "unaware" sleep in a certain position and being in the same position can encourage your "normal" to take place. It isn't anything to do really about the laying on back but rather a change in a persons sleep position, the back can help many though as its one of the more uncommon sleep positions so for most, it is simply a case of trying to get to sleep in not their normal position which often triggers a break in their normal and hence often first LD experiences.

Habits of people can be hard to break as many people with bad habits will tell you whether they are a nose picker or a nail biter. A nose picker may then be drawn to put that boogey on the finger into their mouth.. cause that is what they are used to doing and even if not thinking about it, will "subconsciously" do.. as that is what subconsciousness has been trained to do. They may not even be wanting to do that and trying to stop it but the subconscious response around the habit may be so strong (the subconscious is very important when it comes to dreaming).

If they want to stop eating those boogies, they'd best try to stop picking their nose as that is more likely to lead to those boggies to keep being eaten out of habit. We got to bed and just "unawarely sleep".. its a strong habit of our whole lifetimes to get round. So by changing how we go to sleep we can also help change the after response just like example.

Some who are unaware of LD, have their first LD experience when they sleep in a different bed or go and stay at anothers house and end up spontaneously having one.. the fact they haven't done their "normal" "helped to" bring in a different result. (it just increases the odds).

As the other said, trial what your planning and see if it works for you or not. But you may have to trial something for a couple of weeks to give it a decent opportunity to show you if it works for you or not.
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”