Becoming more rational

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
jimmyjames

Becoming more rational

Postby jimmyjames » 21 Apr 2015 23:37

I read something about a technique where when you go to bed, you recall every detail you can from the beginning to the end of the day, and this helps your dream recall as well as making you more aware and rational while sleeping.

Has anyone done anything like this? Does it work? Any thoughts?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

DataTunnel

Re: Becoming more rational

Postby DataTunnel » 23 Apr 2015 00:37

I've never tried or heard of this method, but based on what you're saying I would confidently guess that it would improve lucid dreaming ability.

Awareness is the name of the game for lucid dreaming. The more aware you are on a day to day basis, the better chances you have of lucid dreaming. Whether you're meditating, using reality checks, keeping a dream diary or just being more aware of sensory details in general (personally I do all of these) you're going to get better at lucid dreaming.

So I would say this technique you're talking about where you recall the details of the day would be really useful in dream recall and in lucid dreaming in general because you are improving awareness and memory. At the same time, I wouldn't recommend just using this technique on its own. You have to be extra aware IN THE MOMENT as well. Don't just go through your day normally and then recall the details later. Do both: be extra aware in the moment (during your day) and then recall these details all over again later (when you're going to sleep). Remember, don't just be aware. Be aware that you're aware, and aware that you're aware of being aware.

Again, I'm uncertain, because I've never tried this method, but I think I'm going to include it in my routine now and see if it works. I say go for it! The only way to know if it will work for you is to try it out.

Hope this helped, good luck!

jimmyjames

Postby jimmyjames » 23 Apr 2015 09:41

Thanks for taking the time to reply!

I've heard of the whole being aware of senses but I'm not really sure how to do it. It does make sense that if you're constantly aware of your senses you'll be more aware in your dreams and so notice when something is awry.

Are there any methods of being constantly aware of sensory detail?

I keep a dream journal and do constant reality checks but I feel like it isn't enough to kickstart my lucid dreaming; I've had 2 or 3 lucid dreams but I had little control and was quite illogical in them, so I was evidently on a low level of lucidity. So it would be great to have some more things to do during the day under my belt :)

DataTunnel

Postby DataTunnel » 24 Apr 2015 21:07

jimmyjames wrote:Are there any methods of being constantly aware of sensory detail?

You have to be in the moment. Research some meditation techniques- meditation and lucid dreaming go hand in hand. Getting good at one will probably get you better at the other, and practicing both is very beneficial.

As far as being more aware of sensory detail on a daily basis, you just have to notice as much of you're environment as possible, no matter where you are. When you look at something, really look at it and notice the intricate detail of whatever you're looking at. Try to shut the rest of your thoughts out and just focus on looking at that one thing for a little while. Only focus on the moment of now. It sounds boring but it will improve your awareness, and it can also make every day life much more interesting and enjoyable.

For example, if you're sitting in a park on a nice day, really try to notice the detail of the clouds in the sky and the trees. Really FEEL the breeze hitting you, and really LISTEN to the sounds of the birds chirping. Don't think about it too much or analyze a lot, because then you're focusing on your own thoughts rather than the direct feelings and sensations your brain is receiving, and thoughts will distort and distract you from the purely sensory input coming in. You can do this literally anywhere in any environment, although it's easier in some places than others.

This is the goal of a lot of meditation techniques as well, to FEEL your environment and to shut out the analyzing thoughts about it. It's not always easy, because our minds are constantly thinking and analyzing, even when we don't realize it. But it's something you can do anywhere and any time. My point is, be very aware, but don't over analyze. This will improve your awareness/memory in dreams a lot.

Then, when you're going to sleep at night, do what you said before- Recall what you felt and thought throughout the day the best you can.

I keep a dream journal and do constant reality checks but I feel like it isn't enough to kickstart my lucid dreaming; I've had 2 or 3 lucid dreams but I had little control and was quite illogical in them, so I was evidently on a low level of lucidity.

For me personally, I had the same problem when I began lucid dreaming. My first 5 or 6 lucid dreams were unclear, short, and barely lucid at all, so I think this is probably natural for a lot of beginners. I think if you keep up the reality checks and the dream diary, your lucid dreams will naturally become more controlled and more frequent. Just dedicate as much of your day as you have time for to thinking about and learning about lucid dreaming.

Also, here are some other things you can do to improve dream control and make you more clearheaded while lucid. They're called stabilization techniques. Perform one or more of these as soon as you become lucid:

- Rub your hands together
- Look at your hands
- Focus on one point in visual space and keep your eyes locked there
- Say out loud "I'm lucid" or "I'm dreaming"
- Feel the texture of any object in the dream

There are so many more of these and you can even make your own until your figure out what works best for you. Performing one or more of these when you become lucid will make your dreams clearer, more logical, and better controlled.

Hope this helped! :)

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 25 Apr 2015 11:42

jimmyjames wrote:I read something about a technique where when you go to bed, you recall every detail you can from the beginning to the end of the day, and this helps your dream recall as well as making you more aware and rational while sleeping.

Has anyone done anything like this? Does it work? Any thoughts?

I haven't ever done that but I can see how that would help as it's increasing awareness and practicing recall and working on that ability no doubt would help also with recall in dream recall.

DataTunnel wrote: I would say this technique you're talking about where you recall the details of the day would be really useful in dream recall and in lucid dreaming in general because you are improving awareness and memory. At the same time, I wouldn't recommend just using this technique on its own. You have to be extra aware IN THE MOMENT as well.

I'd think this technique would have some impact on increasing awareness in the moment too as we generally naturally tend to pay attention more to things if we know we are going to have remember/recall them clearly later.

I agree with the previous poster that you should be doing practices with the full focus on the now moment too and of all day awareness.

It's simple as you go about your day just remind yourself to "feel"... "hear" "smell" etc and pay attention to it all. Don't like go and walk into a room without paying any real attention to where you've just walked into.. actually "notice" the room. Look at the room.

The subject of meditation is tricky as there are all different types of meditation and what is the best type for one person may not be the best type for another. For best results you need to match the type of meditation you do to whatever issues you have eg meditations to increase awareness can be quite different to meditations in which relaxation is the main goal.

DataTunnel wrote:For example, if you're sitting in a park on a nice day, really try to notice t he detail of the clouds in the sky and the trees. Really FEEL the breeze hitting you, and really LISTEN to the sounds of the birds chirping. Don't think about it too much or analyze a lot, because then you're focusing on your own thoughts rather than the direct feelings and sensations your brain is receiving, and thoughts will distort and distract you from the purely sensory input coming in. You can do this literally anywhere in any environment, although it's easier in some places than others.

For some that meditation may not be good eg those who want to do DILD (dream initiated lucid dream) may be better off meditating in a way to try to focus on EVERYTHING, their thoughts included. Cause by just training yourself to focus on the things around you and "observe" them, doesn't necessarily mean that will lead to "questioning" the situation and what one is actually observing. I used to be able to "watch and observe" all night without questioning so that didn't lead me to LD.

The meditation above sounds like it is discouraging questioning and this could lead to programming oneself not to be be questioning but rather just be a non considering/thinking observer which is something you don't want if you are trying to DILD. Someone who wants to DILD I personally think they should be trying to train their mind into questioning everything.. not just as an observer (which is often the goal in meditation) but rather more like all time awareness eg strange thoughts? strange surroundings? which of cause can then lead to questioning what one sees in a dream.

I make this comment as Im an experienced meditator (I used run an intermeditate class teaching various forms of meditation) and I know many meditation states do stop the person from questioning and bring the persons mind to a state of stillness (in my case I find it like unhuman beingness.. where "I just be". Im aware of what is around me but I wont question a thing so incapable of doing anything in that state including LD.

Those into DILD and trying to do this, need to question the dream so I suggest put as much focus as you can on observing everything from your thoughts, to whatever is around you. You cant take your thoughts off this if you want very good awareness. I suggest not to do anything which may be programming yourself to not watch and question your thoughts or what you see around you.

Those working other ways of LD in which they aren't putting all their hopes onto just becoming awake within a dream.. this type of meditation mentioned in the other post could be quite good for mental relaxation balanced with some awareness. eg those trying to WILD so hence need to be mentally relaxed to the point that the are letting go of their thoughts at times so start to initiate a dream state or those who have issues with keeping calm in dreams this form of meditation can be quite good for.
Last edited by taniaaust1 on 25 Apr 2015 11:52, edited 2 times in total.
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

jimmyjames

Postby jimmyjames » 25 Apr 2015 11:49

Thanks DataTunnel + taniaaust1 :)

DataTunnel

Postby DataTunnel » 25 Apr 2015 20:28

taniaaust1 wrote:The meditation above sounds like it is discouraging questioning and this could lead to programming oneself not to be be questioning but rather just be a non considering/thinking observer which is something you don't want if you are trying to DILD.

I definitely see what you mean but I recommended this type of meditation because they had said they were using constant reality checks, which means they would be constantly questioning like you're saying.

But yeah I agree, if you're looking to do DILD then this method of meditation probably isn't the best. Like you said, better for WILD.

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”