Is Lucid Dreaming Absurd and Impossible?

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
DataTunnel

Is Lucid Dreaming Absurd and Impossible?

Postby DataTunnel » 22 Apr 2015 04:43

I recently responded to a post on here about false awakenings that got me thinking of a quote I read not too long ago. It is a quote from a philosopher on the subject of lucid dreaming that I found on wikipedia.

***Malcolm further describes lucid dreaming as absurd and impossible, recalling as an example, "I dreamt that I realised I was dreaming, dreamt that I was affecting the course of my dream, and then dreamt that I woke myself up by telling myself to wake up." ***

Sounds like this guy probably never experienced a lucid dream himself, and I don't really agree with what he's saying, because I've had many lucid dreams. There's such a strong feeling associated with becoming lucid that I HAVE to believe it's not impossible like he says. But at the same time, I can't prove him wrong (even to myself). What if our lucid dreams are actually just elaborate non-lucid dreams that trick us into thinking we're in control? Like, dreaming about lucid dreaming. It makes my head hurt :o

I don't think there's any scientific way to prove this true or not. It's just sort of an interesting way of looking at it. Either way, I don't care, because my lucid dreams (even if they are some kind of false lucid dream) are amazing.

But if what he's saying is true, I wonder what kind of implications it would have. Any thoughts?

Snaggle

Re: Is Lucid Dreaming Absurd and Impossible?

Postby Snaggle » 22 Apr 2015 07:11

LD has been scientifically proven, not that one needs scientific proof of it. And proven under multiple academic tests of it. Experience proves it reality to anyone who has ever done a WILD -unbroken consciousness from the waking state into the dream state is conclusive proof.
"There is only one God and his name is Death.
And there is only one thing we say to death "not today"
- Syrio Forel

modra petka

Postby modra petka » 22 Apr 2015 19:57

I don´t think it is like this, because you can plan to lucid dreaming, which means making plan that you turn real the very day(sometimes), which is not the usual speed of concious-subconcious information travel, but even if it was, lucidity is still awesome :D
Edit:This was meant to the first comment, not the previous one.

DataTunnel

Postby DataTunnel » 22 Apr 2015 20:41

Snaggle wrote: Experience proves it reality to anyone who has ever done a WILD -unbroken consciousness from the waking state into the dream state is conclusive proof.

Good point. WILD is pretty solid proof

dreamwizard

Postby dreamwizard » 25 Apr 2015 00:34

this guy could have had a dream that he was lucid dreaming. what do i think happend,nothing.hes never had a lucid dream and probably never will because of his attitude. :D
http://www.luciddreaminfo.com

DataTunnel

Postby DataTunnel » 25 Apr 2015 00:47

dreamwizard wrote:this guy could have had a dream that he was lucid dreaming. what do i think happend,nothing.hes never had a lucid dream and probably never will because of his attitude. :D

Yeah I agree. If he had even just one inkling of a lucid experience he never would have said this. Sucks for him 8-)

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 25 Apr 2015 11:29

Stephen LaBerge popularised the experiment that proves people lucid dream and are able to communicate with people in the real world from the dream world using eye movements.

Also, scientists have identified lucid dreaming as a hybrid state quite distinct from ordinary dreaming and wakefulness. It is an amalgamation of the two and hence the percetion of being awake in the dream world.

What better empirical evidence do we need when the brain has its own signature for lucid dreams such as the Gamma brain wave?

Conclusion: Malcolm's claims were premature and they are now outdated, i.e. he was talking out of his arse! The nature of lucid dreams, as any true oneironaut can tell, is quite distinct from that of ordinary dreams. Lucid dreamers often notice absurdities with a presence of mind which is absent in non-lucid dreams. The subjectivity of lucid dreaming is quite telling.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”