Does Determination Matter?

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.
giaz99

Does Determination Matter?

Postby giaz99 » 24 Apr 2015 03:59

Hello, i'm new to the forums but I've decided to try Lucid dreaming about 5 days ago, only seriously started doing things like reality checks, observing the world around me, avoiding the computer and writing in a dream journal before bed 3 days ago and so i'd like to ask the question.

Does my determination and will to have one actually increase the chances of having one?
I do a reality check literally every time I think about, so usually about 20-25 a day.
My reality checks consist of:
. Looking around at the environment carefully
. Asking myself if i'm dreaming
. Pinching myself and making sure I feel it at least slightly.
. Trying to put my right hand through my left one.

If I go through a door, I will pinch myself in order to get a habit going. So far it's not really a habit sadly but I do it when I remember and it's slowly getting better.

I have 8 and a half hours of sleep time a day during school days but could easily make it 9 and a half hours if I needed to. On weekends, I have no time limit and can sleep as long as I want.

I have been attempting meditation before bed and when I wake up as-well if that helps but I am bad at it right now but once again, slowly improving like all of the above.
--------------
Now that, that's out of the way, i'll talk about my progress.
I never remember my dreams at all so I wanted to improve my dreams. Coincidentally enough, I had a nightmare which I can't remember right now as I didn't write it down because I didn't have a dream journal at the time.

The day after, I tried again and had another nightmare, I didn't write it down but it was vaguely about me and a group of friends wondering around at night and eventually we find our house and go inside, we later hear about a creature hunting down people that seemed to be my friends, eventually we leave the house and I decide to go get something I forgot and end up getting lost and running into the closest house I could find, it seems that I woke up from not wanting to confront the monster because I never got to see it directly but i'm pretty sure I never became lucid. I didn't write this down either because of no dream journal.

The day after felt like a huge success though, I remembered 'two' dreams and both were not nightmares, one was very vague and was about my 2 cats wanted to be next to me while they climbed over my room to get to me, they were acting like normal cats, nothing strange about them till they leave my room and into the kitchen. I didn't notice how strange it was that the kitchen was outside my room till I woke up and wrote about it in my dream journal, my room is far from the kitchen in a hallway.

Next dream I remember that day was one about a dream character who created a cool piece of artwork that looked 3D and gigantic, kind of like a minecraft build if you've seen one of those but much less blocky. I noted the artwork looked like the character 'Boruto' from the anime Naruto except the hair was more fire like and mis-shaped but I honestly can't remember anymore. The noticeable thing about this chapter was that the dream character who created it didn't like the way the cheeks looked and when I noticed, It had a mystical ball near it that I couldn't figure out what it was, I left no details on it besides seeing it in the dream journal but I remember thinking it was one of the fortune teller balls but bigger in the dream.

The day after or today, I had no dream memory at all.
----------------

So yeah, what do you guys think, am I making progress, am I trying to hard or yeah?
I'm willing to wait for it but I'm really looking forward to having a lucid dream as I've never had one and as most of my dreams are incredibly weird and fun to remember, I think it would be a joyful experience. I even enjoy the nightmares or don't mind them as they are usually interesting.

Thanks for reading ^-^
I'll let you guys know when I have my first lucid dream!!

taniaaust1

Re: Does Determination Matter?

Postby taniaaust1 » 28 Apr 2015 10:24

Does my determination and will to have one actually increase the chances of having one?

Yes it should increase your chances except if a person is trying to WILD and trying too hard that can hinder sometimes during the WILD attempt.

I think you've you've made good progress seeing you've only been at it for 5 days and couldn't even remember your dreams before but now are.

I can only see one thing you are currently doing which may be bad and actually cause you to miss a LD, that is the reality check of pinching yourself to see if you can feel pain or not. That reality check is quite likely to backfire if you are trying to feel pain during that pinch or expecting it in any way. I suggest you stop that reality check as it may convince you you aren't dreaming when you are.

I strongly recommend that you write down all your dreams as it helps signal to your subconsciousness that your dreaming is very important to you and hence can increase attention onto your dreams when you are dreaming (to help awareness come in).

The other change you could try.. is when you wake up.. you should be immediately before you move, be trying to recollect your dream as its best time to do so. I suggest to at that point to try a WILD if you remember a dream you've just come from. Imagine yourself in first person, back in the dream scene you've just came out of. If you remembered a dream you just exited, spend at 5-10 mins thinking of being back in the dream (before you even move). (If you don't remember a dream you've just left, then do your dream journal right after waking, Pen and paper should be by bed to take notes).
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

Leond

Postby Leond » 29 Apr 2015 18:37

I would agree with taniaaust1 about the pinching yourself as a reality check. Contrary to popular belief pinching yourself does not help you know if you are dreaming or not. At least not the idea that "okay I felt the pinch i'm not dreaming" because when we are dreaming we do feel. other than that what you are doing sounds like it should work. Lucid dreaming comes more natural to some people than others but keep at it and you should be able to achieve it. You just have to find what works for you.

giaz99

Postby giaz99 » 02 May 2015 02:40

taniaaust1 wrote:

Yes it should increase your chances except if a person is trying to WILD and trying too hard that can hinder sometimes during the WILD attempt.

I think you've you've made good progress seeing you've only been at it for 5 days and couldn't even remember your dreams before but now are.

I can only see one thing you are currently doing which may be bad and actually cause you to miss a LD, that is the reality check of pinching yourself to see if you can feel pain or not. That reality check is quite likely to backfire if you are trying to feel pain during that pinch or expecting it in any way. I suggest you stop that reality check as it may convince you you aren't dreaming when you are.

I strongly recommend that you write down all your dreams as it helps signal to your subconsciousness that your dreaming is very important to you and hence can increase attention onto your dreams when you are dreaming (to help awareness come in).

The other change you could try.. is when you wake up.. you should be immediately before you move, be trying to recollect your dream as its best time to do so. I suggest to at that point to try a WILD if you remember a dream you've just come from. Imagine yourself in first person, back in the dream scene you've just came out of. If you remembered a dream you just exited, spend at 5-10 mins thinking of being back in the dream (before you even move). (If you don't remember a dream you've just left, then do your dream journal right after waking, Pen and paper should be by bed to take notes).

Thank you for your input, it makes me a-lot more confident about this whole ordeal. As for the pinching thing, I heard that expectation is what matters in dreams so when I pinch myself, I try to make myself expect no pain, If I didn't mention it on this post, it's because I wanted to shorten it so it's easier to read.
Some information on my progress would have to be i'm starting to remember my dreams a-lot more and the vividness is good but I don't think I ever wake up from my dreams, it's more like I remember something that's strange and has flaws in it, like I remember walking into a room but I don't know how I got there or there are flies everywhere but somehow, none of them touch me unless I grab them. I write these down in my dream journal as they are weird and miss a-lot of detail.
The dreams I wrote down in this post were ones that I woke up from, these ones feel like strange memories.
So, I would say this is going well and i'm still really looking forward to having a lucid dream and even If I don't, I found myself a-lot more calm and well rested lately.
Also, I like that it doesn't seem to come naturally to me, it makes it a challenge, something to aim for!!
Thanks to you and Leond :)

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 02 May 2015 11:05

giaz99 wrote: Thank you for your input, it makes me a-lot more confident about this whole ordeal. As for the pinching thing, I heard that expectation is what matters in dreams so when I pinch myself, I try to make myself expect no pain, If I didn't mention it on this post, it's because I wanted to shorten it so it's easier to read.

If you don't know if you can have a LD without feeling pain when you hurt yourself in it, its going to be a risky kind of reality check to do even if you are focused on "no pain".

If a person is used to not feeling pain in LDs it probably not a good check for the person to try to use esp for a person new at this (new to this minds often try to think up excuses of why it may not be a LD as they just aren't used to having them).. the mind could also twist that reality check if you feel no pain to think along the lines of "maybe I didn't do it hard enough?" causing a person then to do a multiple reality check (I personally believe repeatively checking increases risk of a reality check falilure from what I've observed from others experiences)

It's an ingrained human response to feel pain if something painful is done to a person. It's like flying in LDs, we know should be able to do it but lots of people including myself have great trouble with flying without some kind of aid involved, the brain doesn't override strong natural instincts always easily even when the person is thinking "I can fly". It's so ingrained in us that we cant fly.

You may put these things into the same boat as pushing a finger through the hand but seriously pushing a finger through the hand isn't something we've really thought about much in our normal life!!, whereas I bet everyone has wished at times they can fly and while knowing they cant (its more ingrained we cant do that.. and feeling pain to painful things can be strongly ingrained too).

Some information on my progress would have to be i'm starting to remember my dreams a-lot more and the vividness is good but I don't think I ever wake up from my dreams, it's more like I remember something that's strange and has flaws in it, like I remember walking into a room but I don't know how I got there or there are flies everywhere but somehow, none of them touch me unless I grab them. I write these down in my dream journal as they are weird and miss a-lot of detail.

It can take time to program into oneself to become aware with something weird so keep working on it.
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

giaz99

Postby giaz99 » 02 May 2015 11:56

taniaaust1 wrote:
giaz99 wrote: Thank you for your input, it makes me a-lot more confident about this whole ordeal. As for the pinching thing, I heard that expectation is what matters in dreams so when I pinch myself, I try to make myself expect no pain, If I didn't mention it on this post, it's because I wanted to shorten it so it's easier to read.

If you don't know if you can have a LD without feeling pain when you hurt yourself in it, its going to be a risky kind of reality check to do even if you are focused on "no pain".

If a person is used to not feeling pain in LDs it probably not a good check for the person to try to use esp for a person new at this (new to this minds often try to think up excuses of why it may not be a LD as they just aren't used to having them).. the mind could also twist that reality check if you feel no pain to think along the lines of "maybe I didn't do it hard enough?" causing a person then to do a multiple reality check (I personally believe repeatively checking increases risk of a reality check falilure from what I've observed from others experiences)

It's an ingrained human response to feel pain if something painful is done to a person. It's like flying in LDs, we know should be able to do it but lots of people including myself have great trouble with flying without some kind of aid involved, the brain doesn't override strong natural instincts always easily even when the person is thinking "I can fly". It's so ingrained in us that we cant fly.

You may put these things into the same boat as pushing a finger through the hand but seriously pushing a finger through the hand isn't something we've really thought about much in our normal life!!, whereas I bet everyone has wished at times they can fly and while knowing they cant (its more ingrained we cant do that.. and feeling pain to painful things can be strongly ingrained too).

It can take time to program into oneself to become aware with something weird so keep working on it.

Ok, i'll stop doing the pinch thing, or at least lower it's use and focus more on the hand through hand reality check, maybe ever start the breathing through nose one. Anything to increase the chances!

Good to know I seem to be on the right track though :)

Return to “For Beginners”