Hypnagogia

Discuss lucid dreaming techniques including dream recall, MILD, WILD, meditation and other ways of attaining lucidity in dreams.
Creator

Hypnagogia

Postby Creator » 29 Apr 2015 02:25

I tried the WILD a few days ago.. I pussied out because I felt my body tingling (it was preparing to freeze for sleep paralysis.) I know. I hate myself for that too.

The thing is, the hypnaogia. All the tons of tutorials I've read describe hypnagogic hallucinations as if they actually visually occupy space in your FOV. That wasn't case for me. I was seeing tons of images in my mind's eye, then after a while my body was about to freeze.

Were the images suppose to visually take up space in my FOV? (Like the text your reading here now) or were the images suppose to appear in my mind's eye? (like they did when i tried)

[ Post made via iPod ] Image
I will soon be the GOD of lucid dreaming.

Leond

Re: Hypnagogia

Postby Leond » 29 Apr 2015 18:53

In my experience hypnaogia doesn't occupy your FOV but appears in your mind. I find it very similar to how I see images in my head when I am day dreaming. What types of images did you notice in this state? Was it just geometric patterns or actual images or scenes?

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 30 Apr 2015 11:10

I pussied out because I felt my body tingling (it was preparing to freeze for sleep paralysis.)

How do you know it was preparing for sleep paralyses? Do you usually end up experiencing a sleep paralysis state from there? Unless your mind is usually in the habit of doing things in that way there is no reason at all to think that you were about to experience it at all. The fact you are thinking that that is where its going to lead too makes it far more likely you will experience that as we create what we are thinking when we start dreaming.

Sleep paralyses is just one of the possible things one can get during hypnagogia and not all get it. So if you don't want to get that, stop thinking you need to get it and hence possibly then end up creating that reality for yourself.

I was seeing tons of images in my mind's eye,

It's common to be seeing something in ones mind eye while in relaxed states. This is extremely common in the meditation states of those who do meditation but don't go to sleep and do LD. So Im not so sure if that is connected to a half sleep/half wake hypnagogia state. Seeing things in the minds eye, certainly connected to "relaxed states" though. It shows you are mentally relaxing.

I dont know about others here but I myself, what I call hypnagogia images are those I see outside of myself while Im still experiencing myself being in bed... along with other sensations one can get during this. This is caused by someone going into a half asleep state.

It's cause the hypnagogia images appear outside of ones self which can make these so scary for many people. Anyway, what you were getting with seeing in minds eye is very common in relaxed meditation states (which aren't half asleep states).

I think you need to prepare yourself mentally more for whatever you may experience before your next attempt as attempts like this end up sending mixed messages to the subconsciousness eg I want to do LD, no I don't want to do LD. Rather then giving it a clear message.. which could cause it not to work as well with you and your goals.
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

Creator

Postby Creator » 09 May 2015 05:13

taniaaust1 wrote:
I pussied out because I felt my body tingling (it was preparing to freeze for sleep paralysis.)

How do you know it was preparing for sleep paralyses? Do you usually end up experiencing a sleep paralysis state from there? Unless your mind is usually in the habit of doing things in that way there is no reason at all to think that you were about to experience it at all. The fact you are thinking that that is where its going to lead too makes it far more likely you will experience that as we create what we are thinking when we start dreaming.

Sleep paralyses is just one of the possible things one can get during hypnagogia and not all get it. So if you don't want to get that, stop thinking you need to get it and hence possibly then end up creating that reality for yourself.

I was seeing tons of images in my mind's eye,

It's common to be seeing something in ones mind eye while in relaxed states. This is extremely common in the meditation states of those who do meditation but don't go to sleep and do LD. So Im not so sure if that is connected to a half sleep/half wake hypnagogia state. Seeing things in the minds eye, certainly connected to "relaxed states" though. It shows you are mentally relaxing.

I dont know about others here but I myself, what I call hypnagogia images are those I see outside of myself while Im still experiencing myself being in bed... along with other sensations one can get during this. This is caused by someone going into a half asleep state.

It's cause the hypnagogia images appear outside of ones self which can make these so scary for many people. Anyway, what you were getting with seeing in minds eye is very common in relaxed meditation states (which aren't half asleep states).

I think you need to prepare yourself mentally more for whatever you may experience before your next attempt as attempts like this end up sending mixed messages to the subconsciousness eg I want to do LD, no I don't want to do LD. Rather then giving it a clear message.. which could cause it not to work as well with you and your goals.

I see..

Another problem is my mind keeps falling asleep before my body does, so it shuts down after I'm asleep... How do I make sure my mind stays awake?

I know about ingnoring the roll-over signals and all those kinds of things.. but I don't even get the chance to ignore them because my mind is already asleep anyways. >:(

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 11 May 2015 11:13

Creator wrote: Another problem is my mind keeps falling asleep before my body does, so it shuts down after I'm asleep... How do I make sure my mind stays awake?

You probably need to experiment to get the right balance of things.

You could try repeating something over and over to yourself as you go to sleep eg I suggest something like "lucid" on the inbreath and the word "dream" on the outbreath. Try engaging the mind a little more.

You could also try to focus on your body to see if that helps any (so then maybe you will be more likely to notice the shift into a dream when your body is different.. eg standing not laying, notice two different bodies breathing or whatever).

I know about ingnoring the roll-over signals and all those kinds of things.. but I don't even get the chance to ignore them because my mind is already asleep anyways. >:(

Things like doing a summersault or roll into a dream can be good if one does it when one is in the right state. (thing for beginners is to work out when is the right state to do things like this)

Creator

Postby Creator » 11 May 2015 21:02

taniaaust1 wrote:
Creator wrote: Another problem is my mind keeps falling asleep before my body does, so it shuts down after I'm asleep... How do I make sure my mind stays awake?

You could try repeating something over and over to yourself as you go to sleep eg I suggest something like "lucid" on the inbreath and the word "dream" on the outbreath. Try engaging the mind a little more.

You could also try to focus on your body to see if that helps any (so then maybe you will be more likely to notice the shift into a dream when your body is different.. eg standing not laying, notice two different bodies breathing or whatever).

Things like doing a summersault or roll into a dream can be good if one does it when one is in the right state. (thing for beginners is to work out when is the right state to do things like this)

Oh.. I wasn't talking about rolling into a dream. I was talking about when your body sends a signal to your brain to roll over. (You have to ignore the sensation to enable sleep paralysis.)

Anyways, about the WILD technique. Do you seriously have to wake up at like, what, 5am just to do it? That's shitty...

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 12 May 2015 13:26

Creator wrote:
taniaaust1 wrote:

I

Anyways, about the WILD technique. Do you seriously have to wake up at like, what, 5am just to do it? That's shitty...

LOL I agree. You wont see me doing that.

No not all have to do WBTB (wake back to bed) but some find they need to to have a LD. It depends on the person. One thing many like about WILD is that it can be done any time someone can fall asleep.

Return to “Lucid Dreaming Techniques”