Starting out

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.
Maxthedoom

Starting out

Postby Maxthedoom » 01 May 2015 09:48

So,I've found out about lucid dreaming 4 days ago.
I didn't have any lucid dreams yet,and I don't expect to have any for a while,because I realize it is going to take a while.Honestly,I'll be happy if I get one lucid dream in a year.Here are my first four nights in which I knew what lucid dreaming was:
1st Night:I remember that someone said the name of my friend,and I'm just thinking "School".
2nd Night:I think I even became lucid.I went to sleep repeating the phrase "I'm going to have a lucid dream tonight",and then I was in an airport,and I think I knew I was dreaming.2 seconds later,I was in my bed and I felt my drool against my pillow (Which is one of my problems,I do tend to drool a lot and I'm worried if it affects lucid dreaming or not.
3rd Night:I was really desperate.I tried everything and I tried MILD-ing,I felt really desperate and I wanted to lucid dream NOW.Then I woke up with the worst possible outcome:I couldn't even remember one small bit of my dream.Nothing.I woke up,did a reality check,and I was extremely mad,but then I looked at the mistake that beginers make,and realized that one of the mistakes was being to desperate.
4th Night:I was sick that day(And I'm blowing my nose as I'm typing this right now),I went to bed and woke up a couple of times during the night.Then,in the morning,I didn't remember anything at all.
There are just a couple of questions I want to ask:
1.Can drooling affect your dreams,lucid or non-lucid?
2.My first goal was to just be amazed,explore my mind and see what I can find,but then I thought about this:What if I ask my mind to train me to have lucid dreams more often?Is this possible,and can it be done as a newbie,since I know that I should try flying,creating objects and likewise when I stabilize my lucidity,and get the hang of things?
Do a reality check.

Leond

Re: Starting out

Postby Leond » 02 May 2015 18:12

Hello Maxthedoom.

I wouldn't expect to start lucid dreaming for a while it is a hard to do. Especially intentionally. It comes easier to some people than others but isn't impossible to learn.

If you haven't already I would start a dream journal and set aside about 30 minutes in the morning right after you wake up to recall your dreams. If you keep at this you will eventually get into the habit of trying to remember your dreams when you wake up and it will become easier.

Reality checks during the day should become a regular thing. If you have a smart phone look into an app called Awoken. You can set it to remind you to do reality checks throughout the day.

I would also recommend looking into meditation as it can help you focus your mind on your goal of lucid dreaming and I have found it helps me control my dreams when I am lucid.

It shouldn't unless it causes you to wake up. Usually when I am dreaming lucid/otherwise the only time the outside world really affects me is when there is a noise I wasn't expecting or when something causes me to wake up.

Being sick will affect your dreams / lucidity though. Personally I find it really hard to lucid dream when I am sick.

Other than that I would recommend easing yourself into lucid dreaming looking up too much information all at once can actually have diminishing returns for this. I would find one technique and try it out for a while see if that works and then try another one later. Habit is a great tool for lucid dreaming because if you automatically do something when you are awake, like a reality check, you are more likely to do it in your dream.

Happy Dreaming.

Maxthedoom

Postby Maxthedoom » 02 May 2015 21:36

Hello Leond,thanks for the reply! ;P

I already do have a dream journal (Well,sort of.I write down dreams on notepad on my PC,although,I might start writing it down in Awoken).I don't really have 30 minutes to recall my dreams during the week,but I do have enough time during the weekend.

I checked out Awoken,and it seems great,the only problem being that I can't really have it active during the week because most teachers in my school do not tolerate phones or noises from phones,but I recon that having it played out during the weekend will still produce a helpful effect.And I do remember to do reality checks regularly,about 1 every 45-ish minutes.I look at my hands,and then see if my finger can pass through my hand.Which reality checks do you use?

I haven't gotten into meditation yet,but I think I'll try it soon,it seems kinda interesting.As for the goals in my dreams,I have a list :D .

Cheers ;P
Do a reality check.

giaz99

Postby giaz99 » 03 May 2015 06:30

I've been trying lucid dreaming since 21/4/2015 and I still haven't had one yet but I'm still going strong.
I would say, don't worry about not getting a dream for the first few nights. I had 5 nights in a row where not one dream or memory came to me. Than I woke up one day and I remembered something!! The way you explain your situation is almost the same as mine.
If your determined, keep going! :D

PS: I've gone from not remembering any dreams at all to actually remembering something from the sleeping world every day it seems, it only took about 6 days for me which I consider great since I was worried it might of taken months for any sign of progress.

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 04 May 2015 17:51

Leond wrote: Reality checks during the day should become a regular thing. If you have a smart phone look into an app called Awoken. You can set it to remind you to do reality checks throughout the day.

Some find it far better to link their reality check to one of their dream signs.

Relying on something to reality check can also backfire if that thing doesn't appear in your dreams.

I would also recommend looking into meditation as it can help you focus your mind on your goal of lucid dreaming and I have found it helps me control my dreams when I am lucid.

Some meditations do not aid LD (meditation comes in lots of different forms) so its best if recommending meditation to actually direct the person to meditations which would be suitable for that person for LD (meditation also depends on what issues a person has with trying to LD.. is it relaxation? is it lack of holding a focus etc).

Drawling shouldn't affect LD (unless its stopping you from getting to sleep)

I struggling more to LD when sick.

I would recommend easing yourself into lucid dreaming looking up too much information all at once can actually have diminishing returns for this.

For myself Im the opposite. I don't usually have LDs unless I spent time focused on them. I sometimes need 2 hrs time daily focused on them (reading about LD or whatever) before I start spontaneously becoming aware in my dreams. For many filling your mind with it will help and not hinder.

Also the more knowledge someone has on it.. often the more help it can be as some people do run into problems with doing this and the more a person has read the more likely they will be able to trouble shoot any issues rather then loose what could of been otherwise a good LD or just be failing at it. eg beginners not knowing to reality check as they haven't done much enough reading to even know these basics.

I didn't have any lucid dreams yet,and I don't expect to have any for a while,because I realize it is going to take a while.

I suggest to get rid of that thought I bolded of yours as that could slow down you having a LD as you aren't expecting you could have one currently. I suggest to be open to the fact that you "may' have one ANY DAY. Some beginners even have a LD in the first few days. Be open to the idea but on the same time also be prepared to be patient if need be.

It is possible to program ones mind to have a LD. This works on my mind. I myself for me, find though it takes a few weeks though before my brain is programmed with the thought.
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 04 May 2015 18:03

Maxthedoom wrote: I already do have a dream journal (Well,sort of.I write down dreams on notepad on my PC,although,I might start writing it down in Awoken).I don't really have 30 minutes to recall my dreams during the week,but I do have enough time during the weekend.

One of the reasons of keeping a dream journal is also to program the mind that your dreams are important to you etc .. this helps one also put more attention onto them while asleep. By only doing it on weekends you are making it less likely to have a LD as you are sending mixed messages then into your subconsciousness about things..

When we keep a dream journal, its also helping us develop a new habit eg aware dreams. To only keep it on weekends is like a smoker quitting but only quitting the cigarettes on weekends only.

You don't need 30 mins to be laying there trying to remember and wrote down dreams when you first wake up .. 5-10 mins is often fine for people. The consistency of trying to recall dreams, is more important then the time spent on dream recall.
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

Return to “For Beginners”