At sleep time; noise or silence?

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.
Kimberfoot

At sleep time; noise or silence?

Postby Kimberfoot » 02 May 2015 07:24

*Skip to green for my actual question*
Ever since I can remember, I have been very uneasy and/or afraid of sleeping without some type of noise going on in the background. I usually have my TV on while I sleep. When I do give sleeping in total silence a shot, I become very anxious and usually give in to the temptation of turning the TV back on within a few minutes.

So, when attempting a lucid dream, is having background noise a factor or not? If so or if not, then why or why not?
Why the fuck would FaceBook be blacklisted?

taniaaust1

Re: At sleep time; noise or silence?

Postby taniaaust1 » 02 May 2015 11:12

Just go with whichever you are most comfortable with. If something is going to cause anxiety, it wouldn't be good to be doing that for LD.

I've been experimenting with a new LD technique I've made up. I'm calling it "Tick Tock method". What I do is I relax to a loud ticking clock. I realised I'd entered into a LD when the ticking suddenly vanished.
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

Leond

Postby Leond » 02 May 2015 18:22

I've been experimenting with a new LD technique I've made up. I'm calling it "Tick Tock method". What I do is I relax to a loud ticking clock. I realised I'd entered into a LD when the ticking suddenly vanished.

I have experimenting with a similar thing but I am using binaural beats. I also find it easier to fall asleep with a bit of noise going on and have found that the repetitiveness of binaural beats as as well as the way that they affect my thoughts not only help me fall asleep but also help me become lucid in my dreams and make my dreams more vivid. (some of these may be placebos because I am expecting it but if it works it works)

Really when it comes down to it thought if you aren't comfortable and aren't falling asleep properly without sound then you are going to limit your chances of remembering your dream, becoming lucid, and having a good nights sleep in general.

As far as how external sounds works to help induce lucid dreaming. Look into the EILD(Externally induced lucid dream) technique. The big thing is that even when you are asleep your body reacts to external senses even if you aren't fully aware of them. EILD techniques use visual or audio clues to help you realize you are dreaming.

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 03 May 2015 02:38

Some great advice based on the fact that what may work for an individual won't necessarily work for everyone. This practice is very much about exploring. As a whole, we are still in the early stages of learning about lucid dreaming and how to induce the required mental state. Individually, it's very much like exploring your sexuality.

One factor that is ostensibly vital for the majority -- before practitioners do anything else -- is relaxation. How one manages to attain this is the question. Some find the sound of rain soothing. Others prefer absolute silence. Eventually, whatever method you believe works best for you is what's most likely to help you clear your mind and achieve waking consciousness in your dreams.

I can see noise being a great boon in helping lucid dreamers become aware of the shift from wakefulness to the lucid dream state. In my case, it depends on how I'm feeling based on what type of day I've had. Sometimes I crave silence if I've had a busy day. Other times I feel that repetitious noise can promote relaxation and a meditative, or trance-like, state from which I lucidly catapult into dreamland.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 03 May 2015 16:30

Leond wrote:Really when it comes down to it thought if you aren't comfortable and aren't falling asleep properly without sound then you are going to limit your chances of remembering your dream, becoming lucid, and having a good nights sleep in general.

If a person is falling asleep okay with sound even if they cant usually sleep without it, as long as they are using it, there is no reason at all which I can see why LD would be more difficult for that person. I cant see how that would affect dream recall?? Can you explain more on how it would affect negativity iif the person is getting to sleep fine with sound?

Look into the EILD(Externally induced lucid dream) technique. The big thing is that even when you are asleep your body reacts to external senses even if you aren't fully aware of them. EILD techniques use visual or audio clues to help you realize you are dreaming.

Thanks, that's one Ive never heard of.. are all LD noise techniques put under that label or just a specific one?

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 03 May 2015 19:18

I agree ^^

"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

Kimberfoot

Postby Kimberfoot » 04 May 2015 02:14

ok thanks people. there's quite a lot to think about. I have been having difficulties with it but I guess I just need to do more research to figure out what I'm doing wrong and right. I have an ounce of calea zacatechichi coming in the mail soon so maybe that'll help with a little bit of cheese before bed :mrgreen: :geek: :shock: :D
Why the fuck would FaceBook be blacklisted?

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 04 May 2015 11:37

The cheese contains the amino acid tryptophan which aids the brain in the making of tryptamine compounds, the building blocks of endogenous psychedelics.

The sesquiterpenes in Calea will certainly aid your sleep. The Leaves of God will also improve dream recall and an active memory will tend to promote lucidity.

But it's important to remember that these exogenous chemical aids only provide shortcuts in your practice or may even prove useless if you are not making the effort. Even better would be if you could achieve the desired mental states without them. Remember, the drugs only stimulate your brain to do what it can already do in potential and with some effort. The hallucinogenic -- or psychedelic -- "magic," as it were, is in your mind, not the drugs. The drugs, without a sentient organism to catalyse, are useless.

- Padmasambhava

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 04 May 2015 17:32

Summerlander wrote:The cheese contains the amino acid tryptophan which aids the brain in the making of tryptamine compounds, the building blocks of endogenous psychedelics.

The sesquiterpenes in Calea will certainly aid your sleep. The Leaves of God will also improve dream recall and an active memory will tend to promote lucidity.

But it's important to remember that these exogenous chemical aids only provide shortcuts in your practice or may even prove useless if you are not making the effort. Even better would be if you could achieve the desired mental states without them. Remember, the drugs only stimulate your brain to do what it can already do in potential and with some effort. The hallucinogenic -- or psychedelic -- "magic," as it were, is in your mind, not the drugs. The drugs, without a sentient organism to catalyse, are useless.

I agree with Summerlander, there is no magic answer.. these things can only help if one already is on the right track. I do also though think they can also have like a placebo affect too for some.. eg I've found when I really really believe Im going to get lucid, I usually then do. So obviously the thinking there does have some impact.

tompine73

Postby tompine73 » 05 May 2015 00:55

Summerlander wrote: Sometimes I crave silence if I've had a busy day. Other times I feel that repetitious noise can promote relaxation and a meditative, or trance-like, state from which I lucidly catapult into dreamland.

Have you still been thinking about lucid dreaming during a busy day? Or is an evening enough preparation time?

When do you play the repetitive noise? Before you go to sleep for the 1st time or only later in the early morning when you have a better chance of having a lucid dream?

Return to “For Beginners”