am i meditating??

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
xI GENGAR Ix

am i meditating??

Postby xI GENGAR Ix » 14 May 2015 03:22

Hi all
Maybe a few times a week I will meditate or what I think is meditating....I often sit or lay when I'm in bed and close my eyes.....I will focus on the darkness behind my eye lids to stop me thinking of anything and to keep my mind clear and maybe focus on my breathing and I will do this till my breathing gets less and less....between 10 and 20mins I will do this.....am I doing it right or is there anything wrong that I am doing? As I know that is what meditating is....any replies will be much appreciated =)

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Lucid Dreams = 25

Go left

Re: am i meditating??

Postby Go left » 14 May 2015 12:46

Sup dude
Here's a few tips if u wana try or just do whatever works for you. As I got into meditation I learn it's important to have your spine straight, it's fine if you wana rest against a wall. Basically what your trying to do is witness your thoughts arise and pass away without participating in them, this doesn't mean have no thoughts as is commonly misunderstood. Focus on your breathe and when you get distracted by your thoughts as will happen then just return to the breathe. It will gradually get longer and longer, my longest point of staying with the breathe was 1 hour but the was a fluke, really cool to experience though. The best book I have found is called "hurry up and mediate" or else "dream yourself awake" is catered to lucid dreams. Hope that helps friend, best of luck

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
First level your mind, and then the earth will be level. Even unto Mount Sumeru

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 14 May 2015 13:03

Go left wrote:Sup dude
Here's a few tips if u wana try or just do whatever works for you. As I got into meditation I learn it's important to have your spine straight, it's fine if you wana rest against a wall. Basically what your trying to do is witness your thoughts arise and pass away without participating in them, this doesn't mean have no thoughts as is commonly misunderstood. Focus on your breathe and when you get distracted by your thoughts as will happen then just return to the breathe. It will gradually get longer and longer, my longest point of staying with the breathe was 1 hour but the was a fluke, really cool to experience though. The best book I have found is called "hurry up and mediate" or else "dream yourself awake" is catered to lucid dreams. Hope that helps friend, best of luck

There are lots of different forms and ways of meditating, with some, one isn't sitting and may be moving meditations (on feet) or laying meditations.

I myself used to do the one described in the quote above and for me it was a hinderance to LD. I become an expert at this kind of meditation and could do this form all night, just watching the thoughts without participating and not then needing to sleep. This form of meditation is timeless to me (no sense of time in it. I cant tell difference between meditating 20 mins in this state to meditating for 8hrs in it.. no thoughts, just observer/watcher).

With LD though you need to not just be a watcher and if one has practiced this form of meditation for a while one can find it very hard to be anything except a watcher and to get involved in a LD as one has learnt to stay separate from the dreams/visions as only an observer.

We do get others at this site occasionally who say they are lucid but only watching their dreams but cant enter them. This form of meditation can set one up for that issue. The LD state is a bit different to this state as one needs to be actively thinking (not just holding onto a single thought of something like breath), not just awarely watching but without own thoughts with only the dream visions or flows going through.

The above meditation though could be very helpful for those who get anxiety and hence have their normal thinking thoughts racing....(which of cause doesn't allow one to then relax enough for a LD).
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 14 May 2015 13:21

xI GENGAR Ix wrote:Hi all
Maybe a few times a week I will meditate or what I think is meditating....I often sit or lay when I'm in bed and close my eyes.....I will focus on the darkness behind my eye lids to stop me thinking of anything and to keep my mind clear and maybe focus on my breathing and I will do this till my breathing gets less and less....between 10 and 20mins I will do this.....am I doing it right or is there anything wrong that I am doing? As I know that is what meditating is....any replies will be much appreciated =)

That's fine but remember in LD you aren't aiming for no waking thinking going on at all if that is being your intent which is often the intent of meditators of some forms.

For LD you simply need body relaxed states eg progressive body meditations work well for that and to feel relaxed mentally too (so this is where the form of relaxation you are currently doing can help some) and be able to go into a sleep state.

Meditators though aim to never fall asleep (which is seen as lack of self control to them falling actually sleep while meditating), if you want to do something like WILD though you need to relax and fall asleep or near sleep to start to LD.

It's better for those who are wanting to have a LD to do their meditations laying as if they do fall asleep during one or their minds start drifting off a bit, it may give an opportunity to bring in a LD (where if you are sitting up very relaxed, you wont go into a LD while sitting and of cause you cant move and go and lay down without breaking the state).

I suggest to tailor the meditations out there more towards LD.. eg
do them laying down,
don't aim for no thoughts as you may need thought flow to use to go into a WILD and you may need to be able to act on these.
look out for signs that you are entering a dreaming state so you can induce one by intensitying any HI or keep just watching it (but sometimes just watching isn't enough, some of us have to actively move ourselves into the LD. I would of missed some of my LDs if I haven't done that)

I suggest focus on the words "lucid" and "dream" in time to the in and out breath to try to help awareness if you enter a LD.

Unless you have done progressive body relaxation and got your body fully relaxed first, 10mins isn't much time to do that kind of meditation you mentioned here.. that kind is best done for 20mins if no preparation done before hand.
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

xI GENGAR Ix

Postby xI GENGAR Ix » 15 May 2015 01:35

Thank you 'taniaaust' and 'go left' for your tips....I'm going to take on board all what you have both said =)

Lucid Dreams = 25

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 15 May 2015 01:40

I will even recommend a relevant book. "Waking Up" by Sam Harris. 8-)

"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”