What am i doing wrong????

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
xI GENGAR Ix

What am i doing wrong????

Postby xI GENGAR Ix » 15 May 2015 02:32

Hi all
I have been practising lucid dreaming for about 2 years now...i had a rough patch when i stopped practising maybe twice but then jumped back into it.For all you experienced or good lucid dreamers out there heres a question to you.....after about a year and a half or 2 years of practising lucid dreaming....how many LD's did you have lets say a month or a week roughly?
Due to the amout i know and understand plus the 2 years i have been doing it i would of expected to be having atleast 2-3 a week but i tend to at most have 1 or 2 a month.I reality check alot but maybe im doing it too quickly? i check to see if my finger tattoos are there....maybe check the time then check it again....hold my nose and try and breath maybe try jumping to see if i float.....at most doing all these checks will take about a minuit...maybe im not thinking into it enough or something?because when low gravity happens to me in my dream or i float i think of it as normal and dont question why am i floating...i must be in a dream.
I dont want lucid dreaming to take over my life so i dont want to do RC's like every 10 mins or something as im learning to drive and i work etc but if thats what it takes then i suppose ill try if it guarantees good results.
The main reason why i dont think im very succesfull is due to that i am a night worker and i work 3 nights a week where i haveto stay awake all night so my sleeping routine isnt like the typical day workers.....The main thing that i hate is how i will have a big normal dream where i dont realise the obviouse signs like ....my hair in my dream is long when in waking life it is short and that i have low gravity in my dream and i never wonder why.....i know everyone is vunerable when dreaming....but with my experience i would love to concour all the obvious things in my dreams that i think are normal =/
Lucid Dreams = 25

taniaaust1

Re: What am i doing wrong????

Postby taniaaust1 » 15 May 2015 08:41

It's more likely the things you are doing rather then your shift work why you are finding it so hard. From your other posts you haven't cultivated your awareness and you have been doing a meditation which lets go of awareness and stills the mind not one which helps become more aware in life.

I suggest to do 5min meditations on different objects (if you can do this a couple of times a day even better) and get used to studying different things.. eg meditate on a rock, an apple, a plant or whatever, all different things, notice all the different details but meditate in a way in which you are trying to make deep observations about what you are looking at. (don't forgot to ask yourself if there is anything strange about the object you are meditating on ).

This awareness meditation can also really aid you when you are in a LD by teaching you to focus on things in a dream better too (to help hold oneself in one better) while at the same time having an active mind.

When one is not doing a WILD technique and relying on just coming aware in a dream, good awareness is quite important. With no good awareness you may not even think to reality check at things. (Mind stillness meditations will hold no importance in LDs in which one isn't trying one of the many WILD techniques out there)

I dont want lucid dreaming to take over my life so i dont want to do RC's like every 10 mins or something

That would probably be a very bad thing to be doing RCs every 10 mins as the one doing them needs to seriously believe that they could be in a dream. If they aren't working for you now after spending so much time working on this, increasing them wont necessarily mean they will start working esp if you end up bored with them. It would become terribly hard to keep doing reality checking a lot seriously if the answer long term is nearly always "no I aren't in a dream".

i check to see if my finger tattoos are there

Are you saying you are looking to see if tattoos you have on your fingers in real life are on your fingers? That could be a very bad reality check if you have normally tattoos on your fingers as your mind is likely to recreate what you see in real life .
I have been practising lucid dreaming for about 2 years now...i had a rough patch when i stopped practising maybe twice but then jumped back into it.For all you experienced or good lucid dreamers out there heres a question to you.....after about a year and a half or 2 years of practising lucid dreaming....how many LD's did you have lets say a month or a week roughly?

It's best not to at all compare yourself with others but if you have been working on this for 2 years, yes one would expect you would be going better with it. I think its the things you are doing or not doing with this which are letting you down. (lack of awareness cultivation, possibly a bad reality check etc.. if a bad check makes you think you aren't dreaming when you are, the following checks could then fail too).

Im not a natural at LD but I was having about 1-2 LDs per week after a couple of years. (I loose that and go to about 1 every 3 months if Im not working on LD). After working on LD for longer.. many years, I got to the point where I purposely stopped doing LD as I was having too many LDs so felt like my brain wasn't getting enough rest.

WILD for me (and many) is far more reliable long term as its not just a random LD happening here and there but something triggered off at will. If you want LOTS of LDs, you may want to consider learning WILD but I do think you "possibly" could get more non WILD LDs by changing a bit how you are currently doing things, you've done the right thing to ask for advice to try to find out what things you are doing may not be the best.

Even with WILD awareness is important and is something which needs to be maintained in a LD.

Do you know if your jump reality check does work for you or have you been doing that long tem without knowing if it works for you? Jumping checks can work but they can also fail esp if it is a jump/float check as we are so used to coming but down when we jump so our minds can too easily create that. I personally wouldn't try to float from a jump as I think for me that could fail. If I do a jump reality check, I try to see how high I can jump as with a suddenly burst of effort as that is less likely to fail then trying to jump to see if one floats when we are so used to "what goes up must come down".

Do you know if holding your nose and trying to breath works for you in a reality check. That one does seem to work for many or most but is reality check which don't work for me. In my dreams and I do that, I find I cant breath. (Im very like real life in my dreams.. I also start drowning if I go deep underwater in a dream even if Im in a LD so know Im dreaming).

So consider if you could be doing these reality checks in dreams but be having them failing for you and possibly then not remembering the dream or the check.

You also didn't mention about if you keep a journal and how many dreams you remember a night...
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

xI GENGAR Ix

Re: What am i doing wrong????

Postby xI GENGAR Ix » 15 May 2015 13:52

Great advice I think the main focus maybe to be more aware as it will help me become less vulnerable in a dream =)
I have finger tattoos and it's strange to say that every LD I have had or near enough everyone I have felt like something isn't right so I check my finger tatts and in my dream they tend to not be there or they are blurry or even in a different language.
I do have a dream journal but what I tend to do is voice record using my phone and record me talking about my dream when I wake and then when I have time I will write it down.
Apart from my finger tatts the other RC's that I have tried don't really work as my finger tatts are the other thing I check when in a dream but on rare occashions I have been able to jump over roads a lot in my dreams and backflip so high with almost no gravity so if I keep jumping as a RC I will hope that maybe it will help my awareness next time I have a low gravity dream.
I should rely less on just dreaming and hope I become lucid and more on W.I.L.D's and I will practise more....I know exactly how to do them but I suppose with my lifestyle I can only try them on certain days...but I will......for now I will stick to what you have explained which so to gain more awareness in my waking life....I'm guessing the more awareness I have in waking life the more I should have in sleep.Thank you so much for your info and I will defiantly keep reading it and follow ur advice =)

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Lucid Dreams = 25

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”