Some Questions

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.
Cobalt

Some Questions

Postby Cobalt » 21 May 2015 14:19

Hello again, sorry I haven't posted much. (felt discouraged about posting here after nobody replied to my introduction, but of course, no one ever replies to me anyway...)

I wish to induce lucid dreams through the help of reality checks and a dream journal.
Anyway, I was wondering a few things. First, about reality checks: My reality checks currently consist of me counting my fingers then questioning reality, by asking: "Am I dreaming?" To help me answer the question, I then ask myself..
"Who am I?"..."Where am I?"..."What am I doing?"..."Does this make any sense?"
Anyway, is this an effective reality check? Will doing it in a dream help me become lucid? Also, how often should I do this in one day? I did RCs very frequently at first, but then I noticed that I started to do them less often, until I did about...just an estimation...5 per day? More or less. ..I'm pretty sure I need to do more.
So, how can I remind myself to do reality checks more often? Preferably without having to use an alarm?

Second question, about dream journals this time.
I have a dream journal at home, I record dreams every few days (when I can remember them) and I have found a couple of potential dream signs. So, how am I supposed to recognize these signs in a dream?

Finally, I do find myself waking up from a dream I still remember very well, and just thinking about it... and then I realize that I have to record it in my dream journal, but by then, I've forgotten too much. How do I get myself to instantly want to record my dream in the journal the moment I wake up, without having to tape a poster to the ceiling, saying "RECORD YOUR DREAMS, EDWARD COBALT!!" In big red letters? :lol:
Anyway, if I could get an answer to these questions, that'd be great. Thanks!

-ϾΦвǞlƮ
Lucid Dreams: 4

RealityCheck

Re: Some Questions

Postby RealityCheck » 22 May 2015 15:29

That's a lot of questions, so I'll try to answer a couple.

Reality checks should become a habit that it even appears in your dream, or sometimes, you just suddenly realize you are dreaming and want to double check before doing something crazy. Your reality checks are fine. Some additional and quick ones are pushing your finger through your palm (it doesn't work for some people, like me) or holding your nose and trying to breathe through it which works for everyone. This will ultimately help you become lucid in your dreams whether you accidentally hold your nose or count your fingers.

Also, to keep yourself from forgetting to do a RC, try writing a 'C' for consciousness or some kind of a symbol on your hand where it's clearly visible to remind you to check if you are dreaming every now and then. I found myself doing it almost every few minute cause I kept seeing the letter 'C' on my hand. If you every come across something surprising, sudden, or strange in real life, you can always do a RC and really ask yourself if you are dreaming.

As for dream signs, only you can interpret them because it's your dream. There's often an object, setting, or person that appears repetitively that says something about your sub-consciousness. For me, I often had dreams about elevators, usually terrifying rides or getting lost once I got off the elevator. This could mean that I have vague fears of riding elevators although I don't think I do. Dream signs are something you have to think through about for the possibility of why that something happened, and it can be quite fascinating.

And lastly, dream recalling for me is how willing I am to actually remember my dreams. I don't know if anyone else has this, but there are days where I don't really care about what I dreamed about and don't bother to recall. And I don't. But then there are days when I wake up and just slowly try to recall what had happened in my dream last night. There's a gut feeling in me that I want to remember it, usually when something exciting or someone special appears in my dream. Sometimes I have a piece of a scene from my dream which I then take time to put together to remember as much of the dream as I can. Other times, random events in the morning just trigger my dream recall and everything comes flooding in which then I just stare and try to grasp much as possible.

To really hold onto your dreams that you recalled, imprint a strong image in your mind so that you will remember it few minutes later. Like for me, when a friend appeared in my dream, I make it clear in my mind that he was there as if in real life, and I can recall back to the entire dream again quickly. I haven't been doing my dream journal lately, but usually, I just take a minute or two in bed to catch everything that happened in my dream before just jerking up and writing everything down.

It's really important to hold onto your dreams that you recalled and writing it as quickly as possible :) Try visualizing the events that happened last night as if it was in real life. It just makes it easier to remember and picture.

Good luck^^
How to wake yourself up

Cobalt

Postby Cobalt » 22 May 2015 23:42

Thanks!
I tried the "letter on hand" trick, but it didn't work very well for me.
How many times per day do you suggest I do reality checks?

Also, I was asking how I would recognize a dream sign in a dream. Since apparently one can't remember waking life in a regular dream, how am I supposed to recognize a dream sign?
Lucid Dreams: 4

RealityCheck

Postby RealityCheck » 23 May 2015 10:48

Ah, I'm sorry if the letter trick didn't work for you. Then I guess you'll just have to constantly ask yourself if you are dreaming. I haven't been doing a lot of RC these days, but I used to do at least ten to some times even twenty RCs through out the entire day. Depending on your surrounding, you can try looking at the clock twice each time you see one or rereading a sentence written anywhere. If either of those changes, then you are in a dream :)

As for dream signs, I misunderstood it the first time (kind of). A part of what I already said relates to dream signs: something that appears frequently through out your dream. Like I said, for me, my dreams often take place in elevators or my old apartment. Once I realize this through recording dream journals, then I can do a RC each time I'm in an elevator since being back at my old apartment is not possible.

It's not really recalling your waking life in your dream. You just need to get in a habit to do a RC each time you see something that comes out often in your dream which will work as your dream sign. Once you are in the habit, in your dream, you will suddenly ask yourself "wait, am I dreaming?" and may do a RC to become lucid. First you need to figure out what your dream sign is. It may be a person that appears often, or an animal, or a place that the dream takes place in. I'm not an expert at dream signs so sorry if it doesn't help you.

But I do remember this one time I had a dream about being in a mall, and suddenly, people started running to the elevator because apparently there was a fire in the building. For some reason, I wasn't panicked and even went back to this room to get my mom's bag that she left in a hurry. I found my parents waiting for the elevator and suddenly, I just realized I was dreaming without even doing a RC. I think I woke up cause I got excited, but yeah, that was more or less a dream sign I recognized 'accidentally'.
How to wake yourself up

Return to “For Beginners”