Trouble Sleeping/Inducing LDs

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.
Fira

Trouble Sleeping/Inducing LDs

Postby Fira » 26 May 2015 02:14

I have insomnia, most of it due to the fact that I don't feel tired til around midnight, so I end up reading on my phone for hours cos my dad wants me to asleep by ten at the latest. But having a backlit phone isn't good for sleeping or lucid dreaming. My other problem is that if I don't let my mind just wander when I feel tired, if I try to focus on anything at all (even just telling myself, "I will have a lucid dream tonight") ends up making me stay awake all night.

So I can't do WILD because it takes me hours to go to sleep. I can't do MILD because actively thinking about ANYTHING AT ALL will keep me awake all night.

Do I just... do reality checks and dream journaling and hope to GOD I have a DILD?

astrovineyard

Re: Trouble Sleeping/Inducing LDs

Postby astrovineyard » 27 May 2015 17:52

I have this problem too, and I imagine it is more common than reported. Lucid dreaming requires a certain mental vigilance which can easily cross the line into your mind being TOO active that you just stay awake. It also doesn't help that many of the recommended supplements (like Galantamine and B vitamins) can also keep you awake. Seems you have to be a champion sleeper, someone who falls asleep quickly and easily, even if you are trying to stay awake, to be a good lucid dreamer. On the other hand, sleep deprivation can sometimes trigger intense vivid REM rebound during which an LD or perhaps SP can occur, but it is not worth being an insomniac for MAYBE one of these experiences.

Earlier this year my attempts to LD triggered a month a insomnia that required a doctor's visit and prescription drugs. I got myself off of those and managed to return to a somewhat "okay" sleeper, but not like before. I notice I sleep lighter, less, and awaken more often. The latest thing is that I wake up 90 minutes before my alarm and can't return to sleep. C'mon, that is an hour and a half of sleep I could use! What happened to the person who would sleep until the alarm went off, then have to hit it a few times, sleeping those 7 minutes in between? I miss that guy.

Anyway, so I have to mentally walk on eggshells now. Just trying to LD now, or even just trying to sleep on my back is difficult because the position is fraught with the expectation of an LD happening. I don't know when I'll ever be 100% beyond this, or if I am, that I should ever attempt or hope to experience LD again.

There are a lot of "experts" and people with advice out there, but they can't tell you how to get out of a failed LD attempt that leads to insomnia.

Return to “For Beginners”