Can you die?

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
aymanharake
Posts: 1
Joined: 26 Mar 2015 22:33

Can you die?

Postby aymanharake » 26 May 2015 14:23

Someone has put me off practicing lucid dreaming by telling me that if you see your waking body in a lucid dream you can die. Is there any truth is this?

berggg
Posts: 22
Joined: 27 Feb 2015 16:07

Re: Can you die?

Postby berggg » 26 May 2015 19:05

Of course not.

User avatar
torakrubik
Posts: 542
Joined: 29 Jun 2011 20:44
Location: England

Re: Can you die?

Postby torakrubik » 27 May 2015 18:55

0% true.
Dreaming is my drug

Snaggle
Posts: 554
Joined: 02 Oct 2011 13:08

Re: Can you die?

Postby Snaggle » 28 May 2015 02:18

If seeing your sleeping body would awake strong emotions in you, then yes you can but the odds are still much under 1%. Keep in mind that any strong emotion waking or sleeping can kill you if it lasts too long - the Old Hag does kill some people who are afraid of her. I've been in a lucid nightmare that lasted 6 hours with no escape. By nightmare I don't mean scary dream images I mean in the emotion of sheer terror for 6 hours, obviously I'm still alive (unless I'm a ghost typing, than again you could all be dream characters and I never woke up from having my head split open ;) )
"There is only one God and his name is Death.
And there is only one thing we say to death "not today"
- Syrio Forel

berggg
Posts: 22
Joined: 27 Feb 2015 16:07

Re: Can you die?

Postby berggg » 29 May 2015 13:41

Snaggle wrote:If seeing your sleeping body would awake strong emotions in you, then yes you can but the odds are still much under 1%. Keep in mind that any strong emotion waking or sleeping can kill you if it lasts too long - the Old Hag does kill some people who are afraid of her. I've been in a lucid nightmare that lasted 6 hours with no escape. By nightmare I don't mean scary dream images I mean in the emotion of sheer terror for 6 hours, obviously I'm still alive (unless I'm a ghost typing, than again you could all be dream characters and I never woke up from having my head split open ;) )


You've been in a lucid nightmare that lasted 6 hours! Sorry but I don't beleive you, and I don't think anyone else does either. NO dream (lucid or not) lasts 6 hours. And why did'nt you just wake up or take controll over the dream, if it was lucid?

Gerard
Posts: 1
Joined: 29 May 2015 21:12

Re: Can you die?

Postby Gerard » 29 May 2015 21:46

Hi, don’t worry about dying in your dreams. I have done the falling dream, many times and told myself not to wake up so I die. Yes it’s was scary dark and cold but I didn't die. I have jumped off buildings, bridges, mountains and dams, normally very high up places. (I have a normal fear of heights if I am on the very edge of something high, otherwise I fine with heights) just to test the theory of dying within a dream. Or it’s a nightmare and no matter what I do I going to fall, so I just jump saying to myself it’s just a dream this is ridiculas and can’t be true. I normally end that dream there and then and move onto another one not so violent. It can be very exciting playing with your own one big human legitimate fear and that is of death. The thing is I worry that one day I may think I am dreaming and am not, it’s real, then that’s going too really hurt. I do not have a death wish; however, I am truly not afraid of death. Maybe my Christian faith helps on that one.

Snaggle
Posts: 554
Joined: 02 Oct 2011 13:08

Re: Can you die?

Postby Snaggle » 30 May 2015 12:07

You've been in a lucid nightmare that lasted 6 hours! Sorry but I don't beleive you, and I don't think anyone else does either. NO dream (lucid or not) lasts 6 hours. And why did'nt you just wake up or take controll over the dream, if it was lucid? -Berggg


It does not matter whether you believe the truth or not. There are certainly many people evenjust on this forum alone who have been in LD for more than six hours. If you do a direct WILD, you're conscious the whole time your asleep and have unbroken consciousness throughout the sleep process. I'm not the only one who has been trapped in lucid nightmares either.

I did not know one could even control dreams when I experienced that nightmare, though I did try to control the fear and transform it into courage. My will was broken like a trig, even though in real life I can almost always transform fear. Fear is cool because one can ride it into such an intensely pleasurable experience. I think that any dream control attempt would have failed and intense fear tends to destroy rational behavior and make you it's slave. Lucid dreams open the gate to more intense emotions than one normally experiences in waking life and one has to learn to control emotions again just as if one were a child.
"There is only one God and his name is Death.
And there is only one thing we say to death "not today"
- Syrio Forel

User avatar
Goldkoron
Posts: 239
Joined: 04 Jul 2013 05:01
Location: Middletown, California

Re: Can you die?

Postby Goldkoron » 30 May 2015 21:47

My longest and only lucid nightmare did definitely last about an hour real time. But I still am uncertain if dreams could really last longer without REM states to fuel them. Dreams can definitely extend into NREM sleep, but not for a very long time I do not think. Contrary to a general belief, you cannot always control your lucid dreams, in the case of a lucid nightmare, you can be aware but have no control. I am quite certain you won't die in a dream though.
Do a reality check

Snaggle
Posts: 554
Joined: 02 Oct 2011 13:08

Re: Can you die?

Postby Snaggle » 31 May 2015 02:40

Goldkoron wrote:My longest and only lucid nightmare did definitely last about an hour real time. But I still am uncertain if dreams could really last longer without REM states to fuel them. Dreams can definitely extend into NREM sleep, but not for a very long time I do not think. Contrary to a general belief, you cannot always control your lucid dreams, in the case of a lucid nightmare, you can be aware but have no control. I am quite certain you won't die in a dream though.


It's not my opinion that one can die from intense emotion. There have been a number of MD whom have studied this question, most notably Martin A. Samuels, MD. Stress hormones (catechomines) can cause cardiac arrhythmias and myocardial necrosis in healthy people without anything wrong with their hearts.
"There is only one God and his name is Death.
And there is only one thing we say to death "not today"
- Syrio Forel

User avatar
Goldkoron
Posts: 239
Joined: 04 Jul 2013 05:01
Location: Middletown, California

Re: Can you die?

Postby Goldkoron » 31 May 2015 18:02

Snaggle wrote:It's not my opinion that one can die from intense emotion. There have been a number of MD whom have studied this question, most notably Martin A. Samuels, MD. Stress hormones (catechomines) can cause cardiac arrhythmias and myocardial necrosis in healthy people without anything wrong with their hearts.


That would require some extreme stress which I don't even think a normal scared person would generate in a dream. They would have to be absolutely hysterical and completely fearing for their life. If you accept that nothing can hurt you in a dream, it will not happen. Placebo can extend to everything.
Do a reality check


Return to “General Lucid Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest