Lucid Dreaming and Sleep Quality

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.
astrovineyard

Lucid Dreaming and Sleep Quality

Postby astrovineyard » 01 Jun 2015 16:29

Hello - I've been slowly but surely overcoming the insomnia that started in February. I haven't had a sleepless night in over a month, though a couple times it did take me an hour or more to fall asleep, or I wake up an hour before I have to. I usually take a melatonin as an insurance, but last night I didn't just to see if I could sleep without it. I did, but like most nights, I appear to be having a lighter, fragmented sleep, which basically means I wake up at least twice during the night for no apparent reason (not bathroom) and have to re-position and wait for sleep again.

Lucid Dreaming techniques seem out of the question during this experience. The more my mind is aware of things or a task like that, the longer it takes to fall asleep, and sometimes just the anticipation of something happening is enough to create enough anxiety to keep me awake, so I stop trying. Only when I've stopped paying attention do I go to sleep, which is the opposite of the attentiveness required. I have no idea how anyone can be aware while their bodies fall asleep. What keeps my mind AND body awake while doing this, and how do I stop it?

Of course, none of it is worth anything if I can't sleep or sleep well, so I am trying to get over this final hump where I can fall asleep before my wife (like I used to! - now SHE always gets there before me!), sleep deeply, and for longer stretches without fewer awakening, but if I do, I can return to sleep almost instantly.

I feel only when I can become an "effortless / champion" sleeper again will I be "ready" to attempt and succeed in having LDs. Any advice for any of this?

gfhedf

Re: Lucid Dreaming and Sleep Quality

Postby gfhedf » 01 Jun 2015 17:10

Are you talking about WILD? I dont try that so i cant answer your question
Try MILD or WBTB.If you frequently wake up during night that can help you with MILD and WBTB.
Good Luck :)

astrovineyard

Postby astrovineyard » 01 Jun 2015 17:36

That is true, but in general any ATTEMPT to have these experiences keeps me awake. I need to forget all about them to fall asleep.

I suppose I could try more WBTB. I guess every time I wake up counts as that. The only time I know Ican have any sort of strangeness happen is if I am sleep deprived, but pulling an all-nighter just to MAYBE have an episode of SP or some vivid or lucid dream the next night seems like a big price to pay.

gfhedf

Postby gfhedf » 03 Jun 2015 08:51

Sounds like you are so excited about lucid dreaming.Try to stay calm.I was so excited too when i first heard about LD
Good luck

jasmine2

Postby jasmine2 » 04 Jun 2015 03:40

Several years ago, I began to have much difficulty sleeping. Here are some resources which were helpful for me. -

- "Hemi-Sync Super Sleep CD" - (Amazon)
- by Monroe Institute
(Which was founded by Robert Monroe, who wrote the book "Journeys Out Of The Body").
This audio recording has no voice or music. It contains the "Hemi-Sync" version of binaural beat frequencies, which are said to entrain brainwave frequencies and promote bilateral hemisphere synchronization. This CD emphasizes Delta frequencies, which enhance sleep. The Monroe Institute binaural beat sounds are combined with other subtle frequencies, which results in an over-all sound which is more pleasant to listen to, as compared with many other brands of "raw" binaural beat frequencies - usualy delta, or beta, theta, gamma.
I started out using stereo head phones, but later I just played the CD at very low volume on room speakers of an old boom box.

- Article - "What Are Binaural Beats?" - Monroe Institute.org

- YouTube - "Thunderstorm Sleep and Relaxation Therapy" by Soundtherapy Doc 2:30:07
steady rain and some wind sound, minimal thunder - very natural sounding and relaxing

- Article - "#248 - Sound Sleep, Sound Mind With Barry Krakow, MD - shrinkrapradio.com

- "Could Orange-Tinted Glasses Help You Sleep Better? - Video" - abcnews.go.com 3:01

- Also, my sleep really improved after I reduced consumption of fast food, TV dinners, and sugary sodas and starting eating a lot more veggies and fruits (home cooking) + supplements - vitamins D and B12, Omega-3 fish oil capsules, and a calcium-magnesium-zinc tablet

- I recommend article - "Nutrient Density - Dr. Fuhrman"

Best wishes - jasmine2

Return to “For Beginners”