What if this is real?

Tell us about your first lucid dream - and your latest. We want all the juicy details. Also share results of dream challenge experiments.
SgtPepper

What if this is real?

Postby SgtPepper » 03 Jun 2015 02:38

One night I had a very short lucid dream, but it was quite interesting:

In the dream, I was driving the SUV that I drive in real life. For no particular reason, I realized that I was dreaming. Out of all the things that I could've done, I chose to press the gas pedal all the way to the floor. After crashing through a fence, I quickly slammed on the brakes. I thought to myself, "what the hell am I doing? What if this isn't a dream? What if this is real?" This caused me to freak out a little bit, and I subsequently woke up.

gfhedf

Re: What if this is real?

Postby gfhedf » 03 Jun 2015 09:14

Yes it happens to me too.Try to do reality check to fully understand that it is a dream

SgtPepper

Postby SgtPepper » 03 Jun 2015 18:08

gfhedf wrote:Yes it happens to me too.Try to do reality check to fully understand that it is a dream

True. But sometimes it is so realistic that I think "there's no point in doing a reality check because this is obviously real".

Snaggle

Postby Snaggle » 08 Jun 2015 05:55

I would be careful with this, as sometimes you are doing the same thing in real life that you're doing in the dream. If a sleep walker you should be damn careful with this.
"There is only one God and his name is Death.
And there is only one thing we say to death "not today"
- Syrio Forel

jasmine2

Postby jasmine2 » 10 Jun 2015 03:13

Years ago, I owned an old VW bug. I had a brake job done at a not very reliable service station.

Soon thereafter, I dreamed that I was driving my car down a hill. It was going too fast, so I pushed down on the brake pedal, but the brakes didn't work, and thought I was going to crash. For several days after this dream, I tried to think of some psychological situation in which I might not be using good judgement in directing my life, but I had no major difficulties at the time.

About a week later, I took the car to be checked by a more reputable mechanic, and he said the previous brake job was done wrong, so the brakes really were dangerous, and he fixed them right.

Regarding dreams about malfunctioning vehicles, it seems to me that it may be wise to consider both possibilities. There really may be some undetected mechanical problem. But, on the other hand, the dream could be using the vehicle situation as a metaphorical symbol. If someone else is the driver, maybe this person (or an attitude they represent) may be a very influential in the dreamer's life.

If the dreamer is driving, the manner of driving, or other action or emotion connected with the vehicle could be related to psychological concerns related to the direction the dreamer's life is taking.

Are you acting too impetuously in some way, with little concern for for the consequences?

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 10 Jun 2015 09:32

Snaggle wrote:I would be careful with this, as sometimes you are doing the same thing in real life that you're doing in the dream. If a sleep walker you should be damn careful with this.

Sleep walkers are not conscious as their brains are in an unusual delta mode strewn with sleep spindles. There is no dreaming and their actions are automatic.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

SgtPepper

Postby SgtPepper » 23 Jun 2015 20:17

Snaggle wrote:I would be careful with this, as sometimes you are doing the same thing in real life that you're doing in the dream. If a sleep walker you should be damn careful with this.

Very interesting. Thanks for the reply.

SgtPepper

Postby SgtPepper » 23 Jun 2015 20:22

Are you acting too impetuously in some way, with little concern for for the consequences?[/quote]
Not lately, even though I have done it before.

Mechanical failures also interest me because a lot of times, things don't work the way they should.

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 09 Aug 2015 05:50

Summerlander wrote:
Sleep walkers are not conscious as their brains are in an unusual delta mode strewn with sleep spindles. There is no dreaming and their actions are automatic.

Based on experience of both myself and what happened to my daughter, both of us were sleepwalkers in our teens, Im going to dispute that there is no dreaming with sleepwalking and know its not true.

When I was a teen I woke up to find myself naked, standing at my front door about to come inside (trying to get back inside). I'd been sleep walking. The DREAM I HAD WHILE SLEEP WALKING was that I'd been walking about our local country town and that I'd also been up on the roof of my home. (scary!!. I doubt I had sleep walked and got up on the roof like I dreamed but there is strong possibility seeing I woke up outside that I may well of have walked out my gate and somewhere about the country town while asleep. I was living with a boyfriend at the time and after this incidence had him locking the door each night and hiding the key as I was scared it would happen again).

My daughter I saw sleep walking first time when she was 3 years old, actually she was hunched up in a corner of her room, screaming her head off in her sleep and in her sleep fending off something with her hands, ...child night terror incident). I couldn't wake her up no matter what I did at the time but later when she did wake up.. her dream had been she was being attacked by an yeti (at 3 years, she said something like "big hairy monkey was going to eat me" but a long time after this incident, she obviously still remembered that dream she had that night as she got almost hysterical when a program was on TV which showed that famous said to be true film footage of bigfoot. She said that is what she dreamed attacking her that night I'd found her out of bed screaming.

The last incidence we had at home with my daughters sleepwalking was when she had a dream of being chased and in real life ended up running during it and ended up going through her bedroom window and cut up her face in real life (she could of killed herself on that occasion, fortunately only her head and and little part of her upper body went through the window as I had a small bookshelf sitting right in front of it which stopped her body going right through.. long drop onto concrete was below it as our house was raised).

I have no idea where you got the idea that sleep walkers don't dream while sleep walking but its certainly wrong.
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 09 Aug 2015 10:32

You may have a problem eith REM atonia which causes you to act out your dreams. The most common form of sleepwalking happens, not in REM, but delta. This has been scientifically proven. There is no consciousness while it happens.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

Return to “Share Your Lucid Dreams”