Hypnosleep

For those who wish to discuss the purely scientific aspects of sleep and dreams, including new research and future technologies.
Fudd

Hypnosleep

Postby Fudd » 15 Jun 2015 20:06

I've been learning a little about Hypnosleep which is described by the pioneering hypnotist Dave Elman as the deepest state of hypnosis in which the conscious mind is completely out of the picture, and the hypnotist is able to give suggestions directly to the sub-conscious mind of the person. In this state, the sub-conscious readily accepts the suggestions of the hypnotist because the conscious mind is not there to filter or interfere with the suggestions. There are hypnotherapists who claim they have been able to achieve this state of hypnosleep with their clients and affect very positive, immediate change (check this out - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9dnvie8bQU )

I'm not very proficient at lucid dreaming myself, so I'd like to pose a question to this forum of expert dreamers. In reading about Lucid Dreaming, one of the benefits that is frequently mentioned is the ability to learn things about yourself by asking questions of dream characters, who supposedly represent the sub-conscious mind. So my question is this: If you can ask questions of the sub-conscious mind by talking to dream characters, can you also give suggestions to the sub-conscious mind through dream characters, much like a hypnotherapist giving suggestions to a client? I'm sure you could tell a dream character anything you want, but would the suggestibility of the sub-conscious mind be lessened due to the active state of the conscious mind during a lucid dreaming? Has anyone tried planting a post-hypnotic suggestion to a lucid dream character and have it come to pass in waking life?

Thanks.

Summerlander

Re: Hypnosleep

Postby Summerlander » 16 Jun 2015 02:05

You will definitely find clues in Stephen LaBerge's Exploring The World of Lucid Dreaming. You can certainly manipulate and interact with dream characters by which you may trigger unusual feelings and thoughts upon awakening; naturally, even ordinary dreams can do this as people will ponder about them in waking life, leading to secondary thoughts that will surely beget emotions, urges, and influence action.

The way I see it is that the mind is one and astronomically rich (courtesy of a complex brain); but only a fraction of it is experienced by the self. The self is also an elaborate construct of the mind -- thus being nothing but an illusion -- which is tied to other conceptions but constantly illumed by consciousness by default (causing it to linger). I say 'default' because this our normal condition as opposed to states that can be sought -- typically by Buddhists and mentalists -- whereby one's identity (or ego) appears to vanish (anatta) and what remains is simply a pristine awareness or pure consciousness. (Such meditative state allows for the unbiased exploration of one's mind.)

Lucid dreaming is a great tool for vivid introspection and is ostensibly therapeutical -- or it has that potential. But you are helping yourself here by observing and manipulating conceptions using the introspective perspective of a self model identical to the waking one (because it's lucid); and such perspective -- one mustn't forget -- is still intricately tied to mental constructs which stem from the subconscious realm of the mind. The mind still authored the self and bears an influence upon it.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

Return to “Dream Science”