Still haven't had a lucid dream

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.
John had

Still haven't had a lucid dream

Postby John had » 17 Jun 2015 07:09

hey all
I've been trying to have a lucid dream now for about 7 weeks with no luck. The only thing that has improved is my dream recall where I am recording a dream every night in my journal. I do my push fingers through palm reality check every half hour and am do the MILD technique everyday. Does anyone have any suggestions that could help me to achieve my first lucid dream?

LU3K

Re: Still haven't had a lucid dream

Postby LU3K » 06 Jul 2015 09:04

You could try a technique called FILD ( Finger Induced Lucid Dreaming )

It's pretty simple check it out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5bQCk2QKF4
Lucid dreams: 3
Dreams Per night: 3 - 5

I'm knowledgable from research but not from experience aha.

:D

DataTunnel

Postby DataTunnel » 08 Jul 2015 17:24

John had wrote:hey all
I do my push fingers through palm reality check every half hour and am do the MILD technique everyday. Does anyone have any suggestions that could help me to achieve my first lucid dream?

Sounds like you're already on the right track. If your dream recall is improving then you're on your way to having lucid dreams, most definitely. Don't feel like you need to force yourself to lucid dream, because it will happen if you continue thinking about it/practicing these techniques.

However if you want to accelerate the process and get better more quickly, here are some things that helped me get better:

-constant reality checks, I had a few different ones that I used.

-do lots of research on lucid dreaming- fill your head with as much accurate lucid dreaming info as possible, you'll learn a lot and it will naturally improve your abilities because you'll be more knowledgeable.

-put as many lucid dreaming reminders around your space as possible. What I did was set my phone and computer background to a lucid dreaming related picture and I hung a few things on the walls of my bedroom.

-keep a detailed dream diary and read over your dreams often

-Try other lucid dreaming techniques besides MILD. There are a lot of other ones (WILD, WBTB, FILD, DILD, and others). You never know what technique is going to work best until you try it. You can stick to just one or you can combine any of them to see what happens. I would recommend trying all of them a few times.

- Expect to have a lucid dream. This one is easier said than done. Dreams, especially lucid ones, have a lot to do with expectations. If you truly expect to have one, you will probably have one. Again, easier said than done.

-certain meditation practices can help you heighten your awareness and lucid dream better.

- Last but not least, be dedicated. The only way you're going to start having successful lucid dreams is if you keep trying. I know you said you've been trying for 7 weeks with no luck, but you need to keep trying. That extra bit of effort goes a long way with lucid dreaming. Just be as consistent as possible and I promise, you will start having lucid experiences

good luck! Like I said, no reason to worry. If your dream recall is improving, your lucid dreaming ability probably is as well, just keep doing what your doing and try some of the stuff I listed.

astrovineyard

Postby astrovineyard » 09 Jul 2015 15:42

I'd say, keep at it. As long as your sleep isn't suffering and you aren't getting frustrated, then keep trying.

I wish I could, myself, but my attempts to lucid dream - even THINKING about it at night, always keeps me AWAKE. I don't know how to avoid that HUGE roadblock. I sleep best when I have nothing on my mind I am trying to do or expecting or hoping to happen. The anticipation seems to cause anxiety, or keep me too vigilant that I am ultra-aware of everything thinking I'll catch myself entering into some amazing or strange realm, and end up preventing not just the experience but sleep itself. Arghhh!

(And nobody has the answer to my problem.) :(

DataTunnel

Postby DataTunnel » 10 Jul 2015 00:43

astrovineyard wrote:I'd say, keep at it. As long as your sleep isn't suffering and you aren't getting frustrated, then keep trying.

I wish I could, myself, but my attempts to lucid dream - even THINKING about it at night, always keeps me AWAKE. I don't know how to avoid that HUGE roadblock. I sleep best when I have nothing on my mind I am trying to do or expecting or hoping to happen. The anticipation seems to cause anxiety, or keep me too vigilant that I am ultra-aware of everything thinking I'll catch myself entering into some amazing or strange realm, and end up preventing not just the experience but sleep itself. Arghhh!

(And nobody has the answer to my problem.) :(

Have you tried wake back to bed (WBTB)?

astrovineyard

Postby astrovineyard » 15 Jul 2015 05:17

Yes, I have, but in my case it is called: "Wake Back To Bed But End Up Staying Awake The Rest Of The Night Anticipating Something That Never Happens."

Sucks when all the tips fail or have annoying side-effects like that!

astrovineyard

Postby astrovineyard » 15 Jul 2015 13:46

Funny, when I typed that last comment the session really did turn out to be a WBTB. I even ate a banana, thinking I was going to have breakfast and was a little hungry. I had planned to get up and do outside work today but it was storming and the forecast looked gloomy as well, so since it was early I got back into bed. Tried sleeping on my back awhile - nothing, except the very START of a dream where I was going down stairs and jolted myself awake when one of my feet and hands twitched. Then my stomach - still nothing, so about an hour later I eventually slipped into a dream without realizing it.

The first part I remember centered around food preparation with family. I forget what I was making but was hoping an old relative would enjoy it, but it was getting dark and she might have to go. I remember my mother looking out the window and commenting on the moon saying something like "the moon is bright and full of stars" (which sounds a lot like a variation on Game of Thrones tThe night is dark and full of terrors." (I had also looked at some of the new photos of Pluto before I went to bed, which might explain the moon bit.)

Then a vague scene at the dinner table eating. I forget the conversation but there were chicken breasts which I thought were dry, and a piece of fish to the left of it I was also nibbling on. I'm not sure but I think I remember getting very full. Wait - now recalling bits of conversation where I am moving chunks of food around in gravy to moisten them a bit. Someone mentioned that since I was having a hard time getting a job I should be a COUNSELOR! I pointed out I wasn't qualified, but they disagreed, and I said something like I couldn't prescribe medication or anything like that. I mentioned that fall work would be coming up soon and there was some new thing I had to do but I couldn't remember and my sister said "oh dear."

We retired to a living room were my parents, a distant cousin who is on Facebook, and some older guy were sitting down on different couches watching TV - I forget what. Wait.... I think it was South Park or some similar outrageous cartoon. I can't remember what it was about - though I do remember going to bed a night or two earlier having last seen an episode where Butters is having wet dreams.

Anyway, this guy mentions someone by name - again, I forget the name - but think it is a girl and heard them say she had a PhD or something and for some reason I became VERY interested. At first I thought he was referring to the old woman across the street from my parents who had died recently, but I realized it was someone closer in the neighborhood.

Okay - now you had to bear with me, so here is where is gets interesting and quasi-"lucid."

I have a remote or some device and start entering numbers (95?) and some letters, asking questions to the room like what is her address, thinking I am typing it into a GPS or google maps (which I also have done recently). Two annoying things happen: I look at the TV screen and only the 95 is showing, and the cursor has moved but is showing none of the other characters I typed, so I am hitting backspace to start over. I'm also asking the people in the room for more information, but they are silent. At first I think someone snickered a comment to the effect "oh, he thinks he's found someone he likes" but then everyone in the room is SILENT. Not just silent but seeming to willfully ignore me. I keep asking for "what address, what street?" etc. but they are just sitting around unresponsive to me!

So I get mad and make an announcement that if nobody is going to help me then I'm just going to leave (look for her myself?), and that I've had a bit to drink (which wasn't true). All quite dramatic. But as soon as I stood up I WAS woozy, unbalanced as if really drunk (more drunk than I ever remember being) and made my way to the front door. (At this point I realize the small detail that I am wearing faded jeans with ripped knees, uncharacteristic of me, especially to be a guest for dinner.)

After I make it out the front door, wondering if I am being foolish for leaving everyone suddenly, I walk down a sidewalk to the road, where a large tree is to the left. (I have no idea where this really is.) But this "walk" now consists not of drunken stumbling but instead of large gravity-defying strides, almost like I am doing a moon walk (not Michael Jackson's type), but sped up a bit, in huge leaps that I am on the verge of not really controlling. By the time I got to the road.......

.....I woke up!

JUST when it got interesting! And I didn't seem able to fall asleep again after that.

:(

Raiza

Postby Raiza » 05 Aug 2015 02:10

I have experienced Lucid Dreaming before but I recently stopped. Maybe you experienced some inner anxieties or so. It really has an impact on engaging in dreaming lucidly.
Learn easy steps to enter lucid dreaming state! Join us on Facebook & Twitter

Code: Select all

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Lucid-Dreaming-Club/1564700950411308

https://twitter.com/LucidDreamClub

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 10 Aug 2015 09:35

1. Your reality check area needs improvement.

You should be doing more then one reality check cause certain ones don't work for certain people and it may a case of you are doing it in your dreams but it may be failing. (the one you are using doesn't work for me at all but does work for many).

With reality checks, quality of them is very important too. Are you sacrificing the quality of yours for the quantity you are doing?

Also make sure you are doing reality checking to one of your dream signs too.. and to anything strange.

The only thing that has improved is my dream recall where I am recording a dream every night in my journal. I

Your dream recall may need to improve more, it improving is a good sign. Hopefully it will keep doing so. We have more then one dream per night. You could well be having LDs now but drifting from them into an unaware state and then forgetting them.

The not so great dream recall, also shows probably you need to work on awareness more too during the day.

at 7 weeks with improving dream recall, sounds like you are on the right track.
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

briannathomas06

Postby briannathomas06 » 10 Aug 2015 20:07

John had wrote:hey all
I've been trying to have a lucid dream now for about 7 weeks with no luck. The only thing that has improved is my dream recall where I am recording a dream every night in my journal. I do my push fingers through palm reality check every half hour and am do the MILD technique everyday. Does anyone have any suggestions that could help me to achieve my first lucid dream?

I suggest that you start a conversation every time you met a person. Since it is really natural to speak with others, then why not do it frequently? In dreams you could observe that people are speaking without opening their mouth, or sometimes they don't reply well on your topic. It always works on me. :)

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Lucid-Dreaming-Club/1564700950411308

https://twitter.com/LucidDreamClub

Return to “For Beginners”