Homosexuality: Genetic or a personal preference?

For all other chat which isn't directly related to lucid dreaming and the world of sleep and dreams.
DesertExplorer

Homosexuality: Genetic or a personal preference?

Postby DesertExplorer » 02 Jul 2015 18:07

Let's continue here. I want to find out what is going on with gay.

Can anyone share a link containing information about studies that have proved if the reason of homosexuality is genetic or environmental?
Life is hard. Then you die. Then they throw dirt in your face. Then the worms eat you. Be grateful it happens in that order.

~David Gerrold

jasmine2

Re: Homosexuality: Genetic or a personal preference?

Postby jasmine2 » 02 Jul 2015 23:39

I suggest this article - "Is Homosexuality A Choice?" - scientificamerican.com

It seems to me that differences in sexual orientation are part of the natural spectrum of variables which form the uniqueness of individuals.

If a person feels conflicted about his or her sexual orientation, perhaps they could ask the wisdom of the dreaming mind to create dreams which provide insight to separate negative cultural attitudes from the true and worthy feelings arising from one's own heart.

I am glad that in our society, many straight people are coming to know, respect, and support gay family members, co-workers, and friends.

I agree with the open-hearted kindness and empathy expressed in the following poem by Rumi.

Be certain that in the Religion of Love
There are no believers and unbelievers.
Love embraces all.

DesertExplorer

Postby DesertExplorer » 03 Jul 2015 00:02

I will read, thanks. If it was a choice, then it should be easy for homosexuals to get attracted by both genders. I really doubt it is a choice the most of the times.
Life is hard. Then you die. Then they throw dirt in your face. Then the worms eat you. Be grateful it happens in that order.

~David Gerrold

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 03 Jul 2015 11:24

In Megaman Discussions, you suggested that Chaos might have a point, Desert. He doesn't. Regardless of what may or may not cause homosexuality, hatred for it is never justified -- and a phobia of it is certainly irrational.

First of all, 'gene' is a generic term that describes a wide variety of DNA segments that beget all manner of observable -- and sometimes concealed -- phenotypes. A gene is not a single molecule that by itself dictates an individual's appearance and behaviour. It can be a unit, or a number of units combined, which tend to produce certain effects. A gene that tends to generate long legs in combination with a particular set of polypeptides might produce short, plump legs with another set. Genetics is not as straightforward as what most people imagine...

You ask: Homosexuality: Genetic or a personal preference? But you could have also asked: Heterosexuality: Genetic or personal preference?

Gay, straight, bi, asexual or what have you; people do NOT pick how they feel. It is a phenomenon that isn't easily explainable which involves their genome combined with development (and sometimes psychological influence pending life experiences). However, I will say this: Certain distinctions have been made regarding gay men -- their amydalae tend to be larger than those of heterosexual men (which could explain why the former tend to be more emotional than the latter).

Also, gay men tend to have older heterosexual brothers -- which tallies with the embryological cause I mentioned earlier. The more boys a woman gives birth to, the less testosterone is available for the latest male foetuses. Here is an interesting video which also highlights how DNA methylisation and epigenetics can play a role in determining an individual's sexual orientation:

https://youtu.be/saO_RFWWVVA

And why the hell are homophobic heterosexuals still complaining about gay people since they are the ones who produce them in the first place?

Sexual orientation -- stupid, self-deluded, trendy teenagers aside who want to act 'cool' by being what they think is unusual or different -- is never a choice. :-)

[ Post made via Android ] Image
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

DesertExplorer

Postby DesertExplorer » 03 Jul 2015 13:03

I'll watch the video, thanks. I said that Chaos may has a point, because he said it's an environmental cause and it might be that as well.

Wait a minute. I'm confused.

"Sexual orientation -- stupid, self-deluded, trendy teenagers aside who want to act 'cool' by being what they think is unusual or different -- is never a choice. :-)"

That seems to be the most usual occasion when homosexuality is a choice. Why do you say the opposite?

~David Gerrold

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 03 Jul 2015 14:23

First, watch the video about the twins. Secondly, I'll reiterate: It's never a choice. (And even if it were, it wouldn't be a reason to hate it.)

The teenagers I was referring to, Desert, are those who act gay because it's the trend, but they are not genuine. They are really heterosexuals trying to stand out. Therefore, it's not even a case of 'choosing to be homosexual' because they never become it. It's pretence (choosing to act homosexual) to get attention and a phase that ends with maturity.

The genuine ones feel gay the minute they experience sexual attraction from an early age -- and they usually hide it!

"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

DesertExplorer

Postby DesertExplorer » 03 Jul 2015 20:13

Ha!! Gayyyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!! :mrgreen:

OK, that was very convincing. I didn't know that they already have discovered it!! Well done. I really think you just closed the case, Summer.

I know that there is no reason to hate it. I strongly believe that fear can be translated to hatred without even knowing it. But why do you call it irrational? That I do not understand.

~David Gerrold

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 04 Jul 2015 01:39

Homophobia is irrational because there is no need to fear, avoid, or discriminate against homosexuals.

The same goes for caulrophobia (the fear of clowns). There are good and bad clowns. Is this a good enough reason to fear every clown you see? If you think 'yes', your fear is disproportional to the level of danger in reality -- therefore it is irrational -- for there are also individuals capable of iniquity who do not don the clown costume.

And if you are scared of dolls because you've watched 'Chucky', then what you are experiencing is definitely irrational! Why? Because Chucky is not real!

By the same line of thinking, we can see that sexual orientation gives no indication of whether a person is good or bad. People of all types of sexual orientation have raped and killed. Should we fear them all? Why be a homophobe but not a heterophobe? Are heterosexuals justified in fearing homosexuals because these don't procreate and their proliferation could spell our extinction as a species? Are homosexuals justified in fearing heterosexuals because these contribute to an alarmingly unremitting population growth?

Heterosexuals and homosexuals are human beings that can peacefully co-exist and work towards building harmony and stability in our world.

- Padmasambhava

deschainXIX

Postby deschainXIX » 04 Jul 2015 02:21

Even if it's choice (which it most certainly is not), no person with a healthy, mature, functioning mind thinks it is a pathology or collectivizes homosexuals just to have some nebulous, falsely malign force to inflict their psychotic hatred on.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Well said.

DesertExplorer

Postby DesertExplorer » 04 Jul 2015 08:23

Yes, but when people think it's a choice or they just don't know how it works, they fear that they may turn out gay as well, which is not irrational at all. Because they just don't have any idea what this is. Irrational would be if the person knew that the reason is genetics and still be afraid by gays. There is no excuse in that. And let me tell you, I have encountered that kind. They know exactly what is going on, but they still choose to hate gays. Weird, right? You can't reason with these people.

But if someone doesn't know, his/her fear is completely justified. All you need to do is to prove him/her what homosexuality is and then you wait to see if he/she continues to behave in the same way, against it or not.

~David Gerrold

Return to “Off-Topic”