PERMA - LUCIDITY?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
Indoril Nerevar

PERMA - LUCIDITY?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?

Postby Indoril Nerevar » 06 Jul 2015 18:46

Is it possible for a normal beginner dreamer like me to be perma-lucid. If so how do I get to that point where I literally cannot shut my brain off even while I'm sleeping. I envy people who have this condition and I was wondering whether I could get some training from the Greybeards or train myself to be the Dovahkiin and kill damn dragons ALL NIGHT LONG BABY! Currently, I am at the point where I can remember 4-5 dreams after I wake up and I do the dream awareness exercises everyday, expecting people's heads to explode, cups to fall through the tables, angry elephants landing on every single one of my professors, Resident Evil style hulking Tyrants crushing everybody and everything out in the streets, the usual. So I really really wanna be Neo, I guess I'm on the path. What now?
- - - - "A journey of a thousand steps begins with a single one"

Dreams: INFINITE
Recorded Dreams: 52
Lucid Dreams: 14 ...Hush, I'm just starting out :P
Non-WBTB: 2
Meditation Limit: 20 minutes till too bored.

DataTunnel

Re: PERMA - LUCIDITY?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?

Postby DataTunnel » 06 Jul 2015 20:37

So you're essentially trying to be lucid all night? I don't have a ton of experience with this but I think I can help a bit.

I've had a decent amount of what I would consider "successful" lucid experiences, but I never got to the point where my mind was awake and aware all night. A few months ago I was very dedicated to lucid dreaming and was having 2-3 per week. It actually got to be too much for me personally and I backed off a bit from it. I was overwhelmed because my lucid experiences were becoming very long and drawn out, to the point of mental exhaustion. And that was only 2-3 per week, I cant imagine being conscious ALL night EVERY night.

The reason I'm telling you this is because, while being aware all night sounds great in theory and is an interesting concept, I think for some it could be taxing on their physical/mental state.

We as humans are most likely not meant to be conscious all night when we sleep- that's why everyone isn't constantly lucid dreaming without trying. While being conscious all night probably isn't that bad for you physically, I've read that it can mess with your natural sleep cycle. This is all speculation though.

But who knows, with the right mindset, it's possible you could flourish in a state of all night awareness. I'm just making you aware that in my personal experience, a lot of lucidity for a long time, though amazing and enjoyable, can be taxing as well.

Sometimes it's a good thing to have the kind of dreams that aren't under your control, or the kind of sleep where you just black out all together and don't remember any of the dreams you had at all. To me, it seems that the OCCASIONAL lucid dream would be more enjoyable than a constant series of lucid dreams every night. But that's just me.

However, I would never discourage you from trying to achieve "perma-lucidity" if that's really what you are striving for, because there's no way to know how it will be for you until you achieve it. For me, even the moderate periods of awareness I was getting a few times a week were too much, but everyone is different!

If you truly want to become lucid at all times, here's what you can do:
- Constant reality checks
- Do lots of lucid dream research in books/film/the internet
- Meditation practices to heighten your awareness
- DETAILED DREAM JOURNAL where you record ALL of your dreams, lucid or not.
- do things DURING your lucid experiences that will improve your abilities
such as talking to dream characters about lucid dreaming.
- Look up some dream stabilization techniques and try some out

Good luck! Please don't take any of what I've written and think that I'm trying to discourage you, because I'm not. I'm just warning you that being aware all night may not be a walk in the park for everyone who tries it.

Indoril Nerevar

Postby Indoril Nerevar » 08 Jul 2015 18:06

From what you have said, you seem to have given up a little of that awareness for a bit of comfort. So, it is possible to dial it back down if you start being lucid every time you get asleep. So, if I do find it taxing on me dear little self, I can probably take it down a notch too, finding that right balance where I don't lose my mind and become insane and not become too dull and bored either.

When you say you were dedicated, just how dedicated are we talking about? Just curious :P
I do everything you said on a regular basis except maybe the second last one.
- - - - "A journey of a thousand steps begins with a single one"

Dreams: INFINITE
Recorded Dreams: 52
Lucid Dreams: 14 ...Hush, I'm just starting out :P
Non-WBTB: 2
Meditation Limit: 20 minutes till too bored.

DataTunnel

Postby DataTunnel » 09 Jul 2015 09:48

Indoril Nerevar wrote:From what you have said, you seem to have given up a little of that awareness for a bit of comfort. So, it is possible to dial it back down if you start being lucid every time you get asleep. So, if I do find it taxing on me dear little self, I can probably take it down a notch too, finding that right balance where I don't lose my mind and become insane and not become too dull and bored either.

Yes, exactly. It's a trade off. Right now I'm just treading lightly and being a bit less aware than I could be. But as you said, you should have no fear since it is quite easy to dial it back if you need to.

When you say you were dedicated, just how dedicated are we talking about? Just curious :P
I do everything you said on a regular basis except maybe the second last one.

This is a bit hard to explain. The things I listed in my previous post were pretty much my routine (except, just like you, I never got to try the second to last one :lol:) but it got to a point where it wasn't really about the routine anymore. After my first few successful lucid dreams I became so intrigued by the possibilities that they started happening very often because I was thinking about it all the time. I was also getting incredibly familiar with my personal dream world and I knew exactly how it felt, very close to real life but a little lighter and foggier, hard to put into words but I knew the feeling easy. It seemed like with every lucid dream I had, I got a little better.

So just think of every lucid dream you have as a milestone and I think you'll notice the experiences getting longer and more frequent. The more time you spend in lucid dreams the better you'll be at recognizing you're in a dream and also prolonging the lucid experience so it's kind of exponential. By that I mean the more time you spend lucid dreaming, the more lucid dreams you'll have in which to spend time getting better at lucid dreaming.

Just keep doing your routine, keep lucid dreaming on your mind as often as possible and expect yourself to become lucid more often and for longer. This worked for me personally and I'm sure it can work for others too. The key is finding that niche after you've had a few lucid dreams, you know how they feel and you have the ability to think more critically and logically in them. It's the first few lucid dreams that are always the most difficult to navigate but once you've had a few, I'm sure perma lucidity is not super far out of reach 8-)

Jacob46719

Postby Jacob46719 » 14 Jul 2015 06:40

Anyone on this site "stuck" in permalucidity? I'll happily take it.
Don't give up on your dreams! Keep sleeping...

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”