Lucid dreaming made me question reality so I quit.

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
dreamstudent

Lucid dreaming made me question reality so I quit.

Postby dreamstudent » 14 Jul 2015 02:27

Hey everyone,
I'm back, been gone for a while and I recently ran into some health related trouble that was completely unexpected and yes somewhat life threatening I had a major surgery but that's not what we are here to talk about. The health problems came much later after I quit lucid dreaming. Some of the more experienced lders ask "How can you quit lding after doing it consistently and getting better over 2-3 years?" Well truthfully I would be conscious in a dream and ignore it. I would not change action I'd simply let the dream continue, I'd consciously ignore that I knew I was in a dream and continue doing whatever it was I was doing in the dream world following the script haha. Eventually it led to one and only one outcome that my consciousness slowly faded from dreams completely. Now a days I rarely become conscious and when I do I ignore it. Why? You might be asking yourself. Well the truth comes to this, I honestly was questioning reality. The fact that I could literally be in a different world, that was just like being in the real world except in this place, I controlled almost everything, the environment, climate, what the sky looked like, how fast or slow time went on, it made me question life. I don't know why guys, I'm sitting here watching inception and the idea of going lucid again makes me excited, do I want to become an old man filled with regret waiting to die alone? Yet also it brings fear the idea of going back, but I think to myself, I'm very sick, I likely won't die but there is a chance, what do I have to lose exploring my subconscious now?

Which brings me to the final point about how all this has been brought to question in the first place.

My dreams have never been more odd. My dreams have never been as frightening when they're bad. They've never been more confusing as far as pulling a meaning from there or figuring out what was meant by that dream? I know dreams don't always hold a meaning but still you can get a general idea of what it means sometimes. This is the main reason why I've thought about taking it up again I can potentially control a night made or a bad and confusing dreaming I could stop time again ask the bad thing or guy what they want why there here?

Anyway it comes down to I started questioning my reality. Not like I didn't know what was real but more like, "I can't believe when I dream I'm literally in a different world" like literally its too real for me or something, but man when you have a lucid where you control everything and it last forever those are what every lder loves. What do you guys think I should do? Keep in mind I'm very sick but also get anxiety etc. Basically everything you need to know to make your opinion on weather or not I should I've put in this post. Thanks everyone.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

jasmine2

Re: Lucid dreaming made me question reality so I quit.

Postby jasmine2 » 16 Jul 2015 01:46

Dreamstudent,
It seems to me that you have developed a lot of lucid dreaming skill. Perhaps your recent serious health problems are reflected emotionally in non-lucid and lucid dream events which feel threatening and cause feelings of confusion and anxiety.

In the past, when I've gone through very difficult periods in my life, keeping a dream journal was helpful. Also, making a record of emotionally significant dream objects or characters, by drawing, painting, or other means of (novice) crafting, helped to "ground" subjective feelings and conflicts. I would often carry on imaginary conversations with these images while I was creating them.

Maybe it would be good to just take an extended vacation from your attempts to explore lucid dreams. But if you still feel the (ambiguous) lure to work with lucid dreaming, it might be helpful to meander through writings by experienced lucid dreamers who have developed stability and confidence in this practice.

- Rebecca Turner has many informative articles here at World Of Lucid Dreaming.

- Book - "Lucid Dreaming: Gateway To The Inner Self" by Robert Waggoner

- Websites -
- Lucid Dream Experience - Past Issues - dreaminglucid.com

- Dreamstudies.org - Ryan Hurd's website

- Belleruth Naparstek has a great website about guided imagery for working with stress and other health related issues.
- Article - "What Is Guided Imagery?"/ Health journeys - healthjourneys.com
(CDs, blogs, resources)
- healthjourneys.com - Products - (example) - "healthful Sleep"
Click "audio sample"

-A healthy diet can help improve many physical and emotional problems.

- YouTube - "Dr. Dean Ornish - Healing Through Diet"

- Websites -
- drfuhrman.com
- drmcdougall.com

- For wider discussions about transpersonal experiences and the imaginal realm

- YouTube - "Stanislav Grof - Revision and Re-enchantment Of Psychology"

- Essay series - "Engaging The Imaginal Realm ..." by Carol Frenier and Louise Sekerak Hogan
Includes a lovely, numinous painting of "The Self" from Carl Jung's book - "Man And His Symbols"

- Best wishes - jasmine2

jasmine2

Postby jasmine2 » 16 Jul 2015 01:56

I forgot to mention another good article -
- "Getting Rid Of Repeating Nightmares ..." - huffingtonpost.com
by Belleruth Naparstek

- Also, in my above post, the essays "Engaging The Imaginal Real..." - are at website - collectivewisdominitiative.org

dreamstudent

Postby dreamstudent » 25 Jul 2015 16:15

jasmine2 wrote:I forgot to mention another good article -
- "Getting Rid Of Repeating Nightmares ..." - huffingtonpost.com
by Belleruth Naparstek

- Also, in my above post, the essays "Engaging The Imaginal Real..." - are at website - collectivewisdominitiative.org

Well thank you for the advice I appreciate it.. But I just feel like I've taken a long break from lucid dreams so maybe I should get back to them.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

deschainXIX

Postby deschainXIX » 31 Jul 2015 01:35

You should definitely get back into it, because you sound like a devoted and skilled oneironaut and I think the opportunity would be squandered. I also admit to not fully understanding your problem.

The point of lucid dreaming is to question your reality. Indeed, it is impossible to lucid dream without doing so. You have to constantly ask yourself, while awake, whether or not your perceptions are genuine conceptions of the information you are getting from the real world or if they are spurious projections created by your subconscious. This is easy to do, because sensory fabrications of the mind are unstable (look away from the screen and look back and the text is the same--not so in the dream). So I don't understand you when you say "It was making me question reality."

There also seems to be some confusion in your usage of the phrase "literally in a different world." You don't genuinely think you're in a different world, do you? Dreams are hallucinations produced by your subconscious mind while your body is paralyzed in bed. It's as simple as that. If you're experiencing a kind of philosophical desperation, you can take comfort in the fact that there is no objective reality, no objective truth but only what we experience. It seems like the world of our waking life is the real one, but we can't know for sure. But we take it to be real anyway. I don't see any harm in training yourself to question the validity of things, because this is a critical faculty to any aspect of life. It teaches the mind a science of truth, to examine the reasons behind one's convictions, to ask oneself why one thinks something.

I don't know anything about your condition, but you mentioned anxiety and nightmares and I'm sure you're aware of the therapeutic applications of lucid dreams. All the more reason to pick it back up. :mrgreen:
Well said.

Kman43759

Postby Kman43759 » 05 Aug 2015 21:52

Why is that a bad thing?

[ Post made via iPod ] Image
Kman43759's Lucid Dreaming Journey
http://www.world-of-lucid-dreaming.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=14621&p=39383#p39383
Dreamers Escape - Kman43759's Lucid Dreaming Forum ( IM NOT TRYING TO TAKE PEOPLE AWAY FROM THIS FORUM!!! I LOVE THIS FORUM)
http://www.dreamersescape.boards.net/

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 08 Aug 2015 17:45

Seeing you are here again, you obviously want to be doing LD so go for it.
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”