Breaking through sleep paralysis

Drop a line here to introduce yourself! Let us know your background, where you're from in the world, your lucid goals.
ugonyonyo

Breaking through sleep paralysis

Postby ugonyonyo » 20 Jul 2015 14:22

A new lad of nearly 80 who grew up in Central Africa which would have been vey successful under Sir Roy Welensky !
Any way in 1985 I went back there to do some teaching at my old boys boarding school. I lasted untill I had to retire (rgulations), aged 65. I almost did not make it due to an MI when chasing lads suspected of going of for an end of year booze up. All I could do was sit on a low wall, on which I had frquently sat as a teen waiting to be allowed into the dining hall. When I was able to stand again I had to give up the chase !
I am interested in getting into lucid dreaming because I already know when I'm dreaming and I used to be able to wake up if I wished, however now I can no longer do this. I find it most anoying as most of my dreams are anxiety related: apearing as: "boys have smahed the door of my study to use my telephone, or I have a new job but I do not know what I have to do".
I Tell myself "wake-up": I ask a person in the dream to shake me awake: I try to move my legs so as to get out of bed but, due to sleep-paralysis they are terribly heavy. I once did manage to roll out of bed only to hear a voice say Ow! Ow ! as my head hit the floor !
Any ideas ?

Summerlander

Re: Breaking through sleep paralysis

Postby Summerlander » 21 Jul 2015 01:37

Hello and welcome, my Rhodesian friend! 8-)

I wonder if Robert Mugabe thwarted your plans - he was certainly a downgrade. The course of events in Central Africa, soon after Angola (where my mother is from) won its independence from the Portuguese - which subsequently cause it to suffer civil battles tied to the Cold War - certainly fulfil the Orwellian prevision that revolutions often serve to establish new dictatorships. More precisely, as Orwell put it:

'One does not establish a dictatorship in order to safeguard a revolution; one makes a revolution in order to establish a dictatorship.'

I have an idea where you're coming from. Here is the story of my roots:

http://www.world-of-lucid-dreaming.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=14787

I'm sorry about your infarction and anxiety. How's your heart doing now? Do you experience regular palpitations whilst in sleep paralysis? I'm not a doctor but I would advise to turn those bothersome SP hallucinations into long-lasting and pleasant lucid dreams instead of making attempts to wake up. Pretty soon, you'll be 'chasing the dragon', as it were, and will wish to protract the conscious dream state. Take it from me; have a read of this, too, sir:

http://www.world-of-lucid-dreaming.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=16442

Good luck! ;-)

[ Post made via Android ] Image
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

jasmine2

Re: Breaking through sleep paralysis

Postby jasmine2 » 21 Jul 2015 23:59

Several years ago, I had a dream somewhat similar to one you described.
In my dream, I had a new job and I was taking a training class, but it seemed like I was starting the course several sessions later than the other new employees, so I felt confused. Also, I was uncertain about what my job duties were, and I still didn't have an "internal map" of the grounds and buildings in the large company complex.

When this dream occurred, I was not actually starting a new job, however, I it was beginning to think that I needed to change the direction of my life, but I was unclear about what I really wanted to do.

Return to “Introduce Yourself”