Did I have a lucid dream?

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
ashjack

Did I have a lucid dream?

Postby ashjack » 09 Aug 2015 11:35

I have been trying to lucid dream for about a month now with no success. However, I read in the guide that I should wake up after 6 hours of sleep and then go back to sleep.

Last night I woke up in the middle of the night, and thought to myself 'Why not try it?' I grabbed my phone and read a few forum posts, and read about Finger Induced Lucid Dreams. So when I went back to bed, I gently moved my middle and index finger. After a short period of time, I heard very clearly an unknown female voice saying 'Ashley, is that you?'

I thought little of it, and carried on moving my fingers. Then, I felt a weight on my chest, and my breathing got heavier. I felt as if my eyes were being engulfed by a grey void. I thought that I was lucid dreaming, and I was conscious of what was going on at the time. But all I could see was darkness, except for an arch shape which was slightly lighter than the dark surroundings, but still dark. I imagined myself doing a reality check, pushing my right hand through my left palm, and it worked, but all I could see was the arch and my hands, which were very dim. I was still moving my fingers throughout all of this.

I gave up moving my fingers and opened my eyes, and then wen to sleep normally. Was this a lucid dream that I experienced, or was I just starting to fall asleep?

taniaaust1

Re: Did I have a lucid dream?

Postby taniaaust1 » 10 Aug 2015 09:52

After a short period of time, I heard very clearly an unknown female voice saying 'Ashley, is that you?

I thought little of it'

That could of been hypnagogia (things which happen between sleep and wake state) or it could of been part of dream you ended up in starting.

Seeing though you thought "very little of this" as your reaction to this, I personally suspect you were actually in the dream at this point of your WILD. People in only a hypnagogia state and not gone into dreaming states yet, usually react to voices, even those of us experienced. So being in a dream already at this point would explain this reaction of yours of thinking "very little" of being spoken to from a voice coming out of like thin air when you are new to this stuff.

Beginners tend to freak out the first time they get clear voices speaking to them hypnagogia.. or get very excited. So I think that may of been the start of your actual dream.

)
ashjack wrote:After a short period of time, I heard very clearly an unknown female voice saying 'Ashley, is that you?'

I thought little of it, and carried on moving my fingers. Then, I felt a weight on my chest, and my breathing got heavier. I felt as if my eyes were being engulfed by a grey void. I thought that I was lucid dreaming, and I was conscious of what was going on at the time. But all I could see was darkness, except for an arch shape which was slightly lighter than the dark surroundings, but still dark. I imagined myself doing a reality check, pushing my right hand through my left palm, and it worked, but all I could see was the arch and my hands, which were very dim. I was still moving my fingers throughout all of this.

I gave up moving my fingers and opened my eyes, and then wen to sleep normally. Was this a lucid dream that I experienced, or was I just starting to fall asleep?

;) I think you got and still are confused over this experience.

You reality checked and it worked, your finger went through your palm but instead of at that point accepting that everything you were/are experiencing at that moment is probably dream including you still moving real fingers, you haven't accepted this and ignored the result of your reality check.

You've assumed you haven't gone into a dream yet and are thinking your moving fingers are real ones. How do you know that? Then you open eyes and once again think your eyes opening are real. How do you know you were opening your real eyes? As after all you've already done a reality check which had a dreaming result. I think at this point you may of been in a false awakening as you didn't accept your reality check.

The fact you were seeing darkness except for seeing bits of things, seems to have possibly confused you into thinking you weren't dreaming yet hence you are still waiting for a dream to form, your whole reality though you were experiencing at that point was the dream.. you laying in a dream bed, moving your dream fingers in your dream bedroom. (you didn't get out of bed at this point as you weren't aware of this so you continue trying to get a dream when you are in it already or have I mistaken your post and you just laid there due to not wanting to do anything in a LD?)

What would of been better to do seeing you were moving what seemed to be your body around after the reality check, would of been to get out of bed and then do a second reality check to see if you were dreaming seeing you were all confused there (but didn't know it). You should of at that point found out you were still dreaming and the body you were moving wasn't real..

You probably had a really good realistic WILD (I say this as it fooled you in thinking it was real) but you've missed it by not realising you were moving your dream body around, dream fingers, dream eyes. This isn't classified as a lucid dream though as you wasn't aware you were dreaming cause of being fooled by it. A lucid dream by definition is a dream is which the dreamer is aware they are dreaming, you thought you were still awake.

I'd personally classify it probably as and experience like a false awakening FA though it cant correctly be called that either as you didn't think you woke up but the experience was like an FA as you had waking awareness but then mistook your dream body for your real one just like those in FA do.

:D Its time to get up and go and have some LD fun if you've had a reality check which comes up showing a dream result. (if you cant see at first, do not worry about it.. move away from where your physical body would be)

I have been trying to lucid dream for about a month now with no success.

Maybe during this time you've had other times you've entered a dream state, so smoothly you weren't aware you were dreaming and were still laying there in dream body, but still trying to dream. I think these misses where people are actually entering dream but thinking its real, may be commonly happening in many trying to do WILD techniques (and then some go thinking that WILD never worked for them ;) when experience was just too real for them to realise it was a dream).
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

ashjack

Postby ashjack » 10 Aug 2015 18:06

Thanks! This makes sense. I'll try this technique again tonight.

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 12 Aug 2015 09:46

ashjack wrote:Thanks! This makes sense. I'll try this technique again tonight.

Let us hear how you go.

I just put together a 15 pointer post for beginners who are still aiming to have their first LDs . http://www.world-of-lucid-dreaming.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=16814&p=54929#p54929
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”