Hey :) I have a few questions...

Drop a line here to introduce yourself! Let us know your background, where you're from in the world, your lucid goals.
Jab

Hey :) I have a few questions...

Postby Jab » 12 Aug 2015 21:32

Hi, my name is Jamie and I'm 17 and I have always been fascinated with lucid dreaming. A little while ago I had my first lucid dream, but I had no idea how I did it. The only thing I remember was that I checked the time in my dream and the seconds weren't going in order. I then started to scream that I WAS DREAMING to everyone around me and of course they all though I was crazy! I then was falling out of the sky and then had a 'false awakening' and then woke up having 'sleep paralysis' which I have dealt with for a few years now. The sleep paralysis episodes that I have really freak me out, I also have a panic disorder so I am pretty much a wuss when it comes to doing things in real life (kind of an introvert). I really think that I would be a bit more confident to do things if I was lucid dreaming.

As you can guess by the title, I have a few questions about lucid dreaming and hopefully someone will be able to answer them for me :)

Once in a lucid dream, how can you stop? (if you can)

Do you choose what you want to be in control of once you fall asleep and wake in a lucid dream?

Is there a way to stop sleep paralysis?

Is there any limitations in a lucid dream?

As a beginner, how can I start to lucid dream?

How long do they last and how often would I get them?

Thanks for any help :D

jasmine2

Re: Hey :) I have a few questions...

Postby jasmine2 » 14 Aug 2015 01:28

Jab,
Welcome to the forum. You have a lot of good questions.
- I recommend the following resources -

(1) - Here at world-of-lucid-dreaming.com - On Home page, click tabs - "Articles" and "Resources"

(2) - This is my favorite lucid dreaming book - "Lucid Dreaming: Gateway To The Inner Self"
by Robert Waggoner

(3) - Website - Lucid Dreaming Experience Magazine - dreaminglucid.com
Click tab - Explore the LDE - See - Lucid dreaming topics, Dream Speak interviews, Past Issues (free)

(4) - YouTube - "Lucid Inspiration (a few of my lucid dream experiences)" - LD4all
Interesting illustrations and music - no voice
See the associated website - LD4all.com

(5) YouTube - Interviews about lucid dreaming with -
Robert Waggoner, Charley Morley, and Stephen Laberge

(6) Website - Dream Studies Portal - dreamstudies.org -
Hosted by Ryan Hurd - Includes good article about sleep paralysis

Many lucid dreamers also eventually have out of body experiences -

(7) Website - The Travels Of A DreamWalker - karen659.blogspot.com

(8) Book - "Journeys Out Of The Body" by Robert Monroe

(9) Book - "Adventures Beyond The Body" by William Buhlman

Regarding working with anxiety -
(10) Website - Health Journeys - Products - healthjoutneys.com
CDs - "Relieve Stress" and "Panic Attack"
Click - audio sample

(11) Article "What Is Guided Imagery?"/ Health Journeys - healthjourneys.com

- Best wishes - jasmine2

Summerlander

Re: Hey :) I have a few questions...

Postby Summerlander » 14 Aug 2015 20:26

Jab wrote:Hi, my name is Jamie and I'm 17 and I have always been fascinated with lucid dreaming.

Welcome, Jamie! 8-)

Jab wrote:A little while ago I had my first lucid dream, but I had no idea how I did it. The only thing I remember was that I checked the time in my dream and the seconds weren't going in order.

Being aware of anomalies in dreams is a great start. Carry out reality checks during the day and soon you'll be doing the same in your dreams. Being a dream detective will inevitably lead you to the lucid dream state. :-)

Jab wrote:I then started to scream that I WAS DREAMING to everyone around me and of course they all though I was crazy!

Try not to get too excited and remember to perform the techniques to maintain the state. Lucid dreams aren't stable - they fluctuate between wakefulness and ordinary dreaming - so be careful. It is also possible to know you're dreaming and think irrationally at the same time; make sure lucidity is strong (remind yourself that you are dreaming from time to time) and it behoves you to have an action plan in order to avoid hesitation - which often leads to premature awakenings. Remember: you simply got the impression that the dream people around you thought you were crazy (they are not real).

Jab wrote:I then was falling out of the sky and then had a 'false awakening' and then woke up having 'sleep paralysis' which I have dealt with for a few years now. The sleep paralysis episodes that I have really freak me out, I also have a panic disorder so I am pretty much a wuss when it comes to doing things in real life (kind of an introvert). I really think that I would be a bit more confident to do things if I was lucid dreaming.

You can use lucid dreaming to help you deal with your panic disorder. Turn that 'disorder' into 'order'. Lucid dreaming is a pathway to mindfulness.

Jab wrote:Once in a lucid dream, how can you stop? (if you can)

Why would you want to? Just have fun while it lasts! Don't even think about stopping them - they are ephemeral enough and the real struggle lies in maintaining them, protracting them, and avoiding awakenings. If you must stop them (for whatever reason), then be still in the dream world - sometimes merely thinking about your sleeping body lying in bed is sufficient.

Jab wrote:Do you choose what you want to be in control of once you fall asleep and wake in a lucid dream?

With practice, confidence, and expectation you can improve your level of control. Avoid frustration when you don't. Devising an action plan prior to the induction of lucid dreams can help you greatly. It could be as simple as: Eat a delicious cake; fly to planet Pluto and meet a wise alien; change scenery by spinning and explore whatever presents itself.

Jab wrote:Is there a way to stop sleep paralysis?

I found it extremely difficult when I was a novice and tried. The best thing is to remain calm and attempt the induction of a lucid dream. I usually try a 'separation' technique in order move about, lucid, in the dream world.

Jab wrote:Is there any limitations in a lucid dream?

Only time and your mind.

Jab wrote:As a beginner, how can I start to lucid dream?

Get a dream journal; familiarise yourself with your dreams; be a dream detective; look into MILD, DILD and WILD; read Stephen LaBerge's literature; explore this site.

Jab wrote:How long do they last and how often would I get them?

This depends on your practice. How dilligent are you?

[ Post made via Android ] Image
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

Return to “Introduce Yourself”