My first LD tricked me into waking up!!! Help please?

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.
Harry Potter

My first LD tricked me into waking up!!! Help please?

Postby Harry Potter » 14 Aug 2015 20:59

A few days ago I had my first ever LD after two and a half weeks of working at it. YAY! I'm pretty happy.
However, in the middle of trying to fly on a broomstick, these green and white flashes started showing up all over my vision. I was pretty worried, and wondered if this was something from real life waking me up. I was trying to think of what it could be, and couldn't remember where I had gone to sleep, and the lights kind of reminded me of a car crash of sorts. I was then thinking "oh no I've fallen asleep in the car and I've gotten into a car crash, I need to wake up now! In past almost lucid dreams/nightmares where i have tried to wake myself up, Ive just pictured my self asleep in bed and then I begin to feel myself lying in bed. However, since I couldn't remember where I'd gone to sleep, I couldn't picture myself sleeping. I tried yelling WAKE UP but nothing happened. I remembered reading something about going to sleep in a lucid dream to wake up, so I played down in the grass around me and closed my dream eyes. False awakening, ensue......

It was a strange FA, I wan't in my bed but instead in my neighborhood, with full memory of my lucid dream. I was like Oh ok let me check that I'm not dreaming now just to make sure, but my fingers didn't go through the hand. (It wasn't the most mindful reality check in the world.)

Why did my dream trick me into waking up? How can I prevent that from happening, should it happen again? (Im still working on the second lucid dream.)

Thanks for any advice in advance.
DILD's: 17

WILD's: 2

Current LD Goals: shapeshift (Probably my favorite thing to do), and jump off of a skyscraper

HAGART

Re: My first LD tricked me into waking up!!! Help please?

Postby HAGART » 14 Aug 2015 23:44

I lucid dream a lot and false awakenings come with the territory. It can be a little scary and weird at first, but like anything in life, you get use to it like riding a bike.

I get kicked out of lucid dream all the time, but just remain perfectly still and observe the craziness and you can eventually get back in again.

The way sleep works is that we go into REM and it's close to being awake. So close.. we can almost wake up but not quite and enter a different phase state. (That's my scientific mumbo-jumbo).

I just want to say, keep going! Keep a journal and write it down and lucid dreaming is not a destination. It's a journey!
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 19 Aug 2015 14:09

these green and white flashes started showing up all over my vision. I was pretty worried, and wondered if this was something from real life waking me up. I was trying to think of what it could be, and couldn't remember where I had gone to sleep, and the lights kind of reminded me of a car crash of sorts. I was then thinking "oh no I've fallen asleep in the car and I've gotten into a car crash, I need to wake up now!

I think it would of disturbed me too IF I allowed myself to go into thinking that I may of been in a car crash in real life due to things in a dream and I probably would of had the same reaction of then trying to wake up.

If you've lost memory and are confused about the situation you have found yourself in, you can be generally sure that you are dreaming of the situation and it isn't real.

Thing is you need to try to always keep in mind during a LD that whatever you experience, is a dream so part of the dream and hence not real.

Something which has fooled me is if Im lucid and dream and I start hearing the noise of someone trying to break into my house while Im asleep. (This happened to me not so long ago and when I then got out of bed to check, thinking I really had woken up.. I then dreamed someone was behind the door pushing on it as I was trying to open it.. scary!!).

I should of reality checked but it was the last thing I do if I think someone is in the process of getting into my house while Im asleep cause I think I need to react fast to that situation.

Why did my dream trick me into waking up?

It wasn't your dream, you fooled yourself on a conscious level choose to start thinking that just some green lights "may" be cause you were in a car crash.

I think you are lucky not to sent yourself into a horrible false awakening where you could of easily very realistically dreamed you woke up and are laying on side of road dying or something cause of being in a car accident. All your worst fears including any death fears you have, could of easily followed that. :?

I guess this was a good lesson for you to seriously reality check while keeping more in mind that you could still be asleep. I think you had a great learning experience for your first LD :) . Try to avoid fearful thoughts cause they generally will ruin one from having a fun LD.
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

Harry Potter

Postby Harry Potter » 23 Aug 2015 21:34

Reading the part about someone breaking into your house filtered into my next LD :o
Towards the end I became convinced someone was breaking in, I was trying so hard to wake up......
DILD's: 17

WILD's: 2

Current LD Goals: shapeshift (Probably my favorite thing to do), and jump off of a skyscraper

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 29 Aug 2015 18:57

Harry Potter wrote:Reading the part about someone breaking into your house filtered into my next LD :o
Towards the end I became convinced someone was breaking in, I was trying so hard to wake up......

sorry about that..
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

Return to “For Beginners”