School project on lucid dreaming

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
faswezza

School project on lucid dreaming

Postby faswezza » 18 Aug 2015 14:21

Hi all, I am currently in my second year of carrying out an investigation about lucid dreaming, namely, how they differ from normal dreams, and what the best method of induction is.
As part of my project, I have been giving out questionnaires to get an insight into people's own experiences, however, all the people whom I have asked have never heard of such thing as lucid dreaming :cry:
I therefore feel like the feedback from my questionnaire is biased. I would like to hear from you. Please get in touch. It would be great to hear from you by the end of December. Find me on Facebook (facebook.com/faswezza) and I will forward you the questions which I have gathered.
Thank you in advance!

taniaaust1

Re: School project on lucid dreaming

Postby taniaaust1 » 19 Aug 2015 12:59

sorry I don't use FB. if you posted your questionnaire here and came back to see the answers, I'd answer it here.

and yeah, others aren't going to be any good to interview about LD if they haven't experienced it.
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

faswezza

Postby faswezza » 19 Aug 2015 14:27

Thank you very much for your response. You are absolutely right - you need experience in order to discuss something, which is why I turned to this forum for more experienced people's stories.
Please bear in mind that this questionnaire is of a very basic level, so if you would like to add more to your answer than just selecting an option, you are more than welcome to.

1a) What is your age? (>10, 10-15, 16-20, 21-40, 41-50, 51+)
1b) Do you have siblings? (Y/N)
1c) If so, are they older or younger? (older, younger, both, same age)
1d) Would you describe your relationship with them as good? (Y/N)
1e) What is your gender? (male, female, other, prefer not to say)
1f) Are you currently using psychiatric medication? (Y/N)
1g) Do you play video games? (Y/N)
1h) If so, how often?

2a) Do you recall your dreams? (Y/N->skip to 4a)
2b) If so, how often?
2c) Do you keep a dream log? (Y/N)

3a) Briefly describe the general contents of your dreams.
3b) What are your dreams usually made up of? (Nonsense, memories, internal conflicts, other)
3c) Do you know or wonder why that is? (Y/N)
3d) Do you research the meanings of your dreams? (Y/N)
3e) Is there a pattern or recurring theme? (Y/N)
3f) If so, describe it. Add reason if known (eg. contents caused by a specific phobia).
3g) Do you believe in prophetic dreams? (Y/N)
3h) Have you ever had a dream which seemed to have predicted future events? (Y/N)

4a) Have you ever experienced any sleep or dream related phenomena? (Y/N->skip to 5a)
4b) If you continue to do so, how often?
4c) Describe a phenomenon you recall.
4d) Does experiencing these phenomena affect your daily life? Do they have an impact on your mood?

5a) Are you aware of lucid dreaming? (Y/N)
5b) Are you aware of any methods of inducing lucidity in dreams? (Y/N)
5c) If so, have you ever tried any of them? (Y/N)
5d) If so, describe your experience.

Thank you in advance. I know it's a bit long winded, but I had to stick to a really sucky template when composing the questions. Have a great day.

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 19 Aug 2015 17:09

oh you must be a psych student! with some of those questions. oh well I still dont mind answering

1a) What is your age? (>10, 10-15, 16-20, 21-40, 41-50, 51+)

41-50

1b) Do you have siblings? (Y/N)

Y

1c) If so, are they older or younger? (older, younger, both, same age)

all 3 are younger

1d) Would you describe your relationship with them as good? (Y/N)

Had good or fair relationships with all of my siblings till recently when I had a falling out with one.

1e) What is your gender? (male, female, other, prefer not to say)

F
1f) Are you currently using psychiatric medication? (Y/N)

N

1g) Do you play video games? (Y/N)

not often (the only game I ever play is the old SiMS.

1h) If so, how often?

I can go many months without playing.

2a) Do you recall your dreams? (Y/N->skip to 4a)

Depends.

2b) If so, how often?

I can go months with no dream recall but if Im working on this and keeping dream journals it improves. Best its ever been was 8-9 different dreams per night.

2c) Do you keep a dream log? (Y/N)

Currently yes (its been on and off though)

3a) Briefly describe the general contents of your dreams.

They really vary. I used to commonly dream about going to the loo but I dont dream that any more. No common content currently

3b) What are your dreams usually made up of? (Nonsense, memories, internal conflicts, other)

All those things, it can be one of those or a combo of those.

3c) Do you know or wonder why that is? (Y/N)

I've studied dream symbolism for years so usually understand why I've dreamed something.

3d) Do you research the meanings of your dreams? (Y/N)

I dont tend to research this (A long long time ago, I spent several years taking lessons in a clairvoyance class learning to read symbolism ..dreams use same kind of symbolism.. so can usually work it out by looking at the combos of the various subconscious symbols which alone dont tell you much but together, one can work out what a dream often means).

3e) Is there a pattern or recurring theme? (Y/N)

There can be though not all dreams fit in pattern.

My latest dreams are sometimes following a violence kind of pattern against me due to some major life issues Im currently having (I've had to take a gov dept to court for human rights abuse stuff) before this I rarely had violence of any kind in my dreams.

When I was pissed off in my life I used to have pissing dreams (lots of toilet dreams or of being constipated due to being stuck with a big issue in real life).

3f) If so, describe it. Add reason if known (eg. contents caused by a specific phobia).

explained in last question

3g) Do you believe in prophetic dreams? (Y/N)

Y

3h) Have you ever had a dream which seemed to have predicted future events? (Y/N)

Y, Ive only though ever in my life had a few of these dreams. These dreams I've found tend to feel different to ordinary dreams (as in after feel. A nightmare doesn't tend to leave one feeling disturbed for days, the prophetic dreams I've found those do cause you know it will occur).

I've had 4 of these in which I've woken up knowing it would occur. One of these which was of a light airplane crash, I forgot the numbers on that plane when I woke up so I couldn't check to see but Im sure that one was prophetic.

I've had 3 prophetic dreams of disasters which have killed people which I did find out afterwards were true. Interestingly with these things they always occur 3 days after I dream them and always happen in my own country (Australia). Two were of a fire and one was of a flood (the flood one may of been a prophetic OBE).

I saw the young girl who died in a fire days later on the news. In the dream I was trying to rescue her from the fire but no matter what I did in my dream, I was unable to save her and the fire got her, it left me feeling quite disturbed.

In another knowing prophetic dream of fire disaster. In that one an open ute kind of car was driving through this tiny little country town with a guy on back with a loud speaker giving a fire warning over and over. In my dream the town was named. The guy was saying "Fire in Wangery" (I cant remember the name now but the name was of a place I'd never heard of at the time but saw it then mentioned on the news a bushfire went though it 3 days later. The towns name was aboriginal).

The flood prophetic OBE?.. I was down my street talking to the guy who runs a deli about the flood and while we were talking, I saw images of it. The flood then happened 3 days later and the very same images I saw in that dream were on the news. (all these disasters people died in in Australia).

Last prophetic like dream I had (last year after many years of having none), didn't carry the prophetic feel I usually get with these dreams in which I can be sure it will occur but I paid a lot of attention to the dream as it was so very unusual for me. I hardly ever dream of people in hospital dying and certainly not my family members. I dreamed my father was in hospital and was dying.

In real life I then later found out he was in hospital at time and his life really was at risk and hence why they kept him in there for a while. I found out after this dream that he'd been helping my uncle at his farm and had been kicked in the leg by a sheep and had developed blood clots and collapsed. Hospital was very concerned a blood clot could kill him so anyway I dreamed he was in the hospital dying and he actually was in hospital and in life danger.

(I also picked up the 2004 Boxing Day tsunami disaster but that wasn't in dream but rather then just a bad bad feeling which caused me to stop my surf crazy boyfriend at the time from going to Indonesia at a time in which he would of ended up probably dying as he would of been staying at one of the beach places which got badly hit otherwise. My fears for his life if he went there and his respect for me as I'd been correct in past, caused him instead to go to England so he avoided it). I really have to believe in these things after these experiences.

4a) Have you ever experienced any sleep or dream related phenomena? (Y/N->skip to 5a)

Y
4b) If you continue to do so, how often?

It really varies. At times every night but it can also be once every 4-5 months. It all depends on what Im doing at time eg if Im keeping dream journal, if Im doing meditation or other spiritual things

4c) Describe a phenomenon you recall.

Sleep paralyses. Find myself paralysed and cant move my body at all. (this doesn't at all bother me, I just wait for it to wear off.

4d) Does experiencing these phenomena affect your daily life? Do they have an impact on your mood?

They dont usually affect my mood, depends on the type of phenomena.

Lucid dreaming makes me happy after as I can do anything I wish in my dream.

Sleep paralyses dont bother me so doesn't impact my mood.

Hypnagogia images (halluncinations which happen between sleep and wake state, dont usually bother me at all even if ones others would view as scary eg floating grinning faces.. or another time.. a face right up next to mine which was crawling in ants. The weirder the halluncination, the more interesting I find it as I like to work out why my mind has created it.

5a) Are you aware of lucid dreaming? (Y/N)

That is a very strange question as if the person isn't aware they are dreaming when they are, it then isn't a lucid dream.

5b) Are you aware of any methods of inducing lucidity in dreams? (Y/N)

Yes, I know and practice many different methods if I want to try to trigger off a lucid dream

5c) If so, have you ever tried any of them? (Y/N)

see above

5d) If so, describe your experience.

http://sealifedreams.com/en/dreams/sea-dove/my-teeth-are-bigger-yours
http://sealifedreams.com/en/dreams/sea-dove/does-dc-tv-series-think-they-live-same-place

http://sealifedreams.com/en/dreams/sea-dove/pesky-little-boy-lucid-dream (a dream in which I became lucid mid dream)

http://sealifedreams.com/en/dreams/sea-dove/dreams-can-assassinate (spontaneous lucid dream)

(DC stands for dream character in my dream posts and WILD stands for wake induced lucid dream.. eg a dream in which one triggers off from an awake state sometimes with no break in consciousness at all).

My lucid dreams feel very real like, feel exactly like real life though I know Im in a dream at the time.

http://sealifedreams.com/en/dreams/sea-dove/lucid-zombie-nightmare-eaten-alive (though I say in this dream that it was low lucidity, I was still quite lucid as I was completely aware I was dreaming, I just called it low lucidity as in that one I got caught up in what was going on in the dream cause it was intense, so I didn't do my dream tasks as planned before I went into the dream).

I forget to mention with dream phenomena I've also had a couple of shared dream (one though was an OBE) experiences eg I had a dream where my daughter called me as she was being attacked by 3 people (hit over head). The location was a place I didn't know, a grassy hill. I rescued her from those people and woke up right after the dream and got up to go to toilet but saw my daughter was awake in bed so I stopped to ask her why she was awake at that time.

She told me she'd just had woke up from a nightmare. I asked her what her nightmare was and it turned out it was the same dream I had (same location, same 3 people attacking her, she was being hit in the same place, she'd even called out for me to come and help her in her dream just like what happened in my dream, she also said I came and saved her), she must of woke up from it at exactly the same time as myself.

Other time I got OBE while asleep and saw childrens presents all over my lounge room (wrapping paper ripped up everywhere, like kids typically do) which was very weird as I dont tend to see things which aren't actually in my house in my OBEs. Cause of being so confused why I saw that I ended up asking my daughter what she'd dreamed that night without telling her what I saw. It turned her dream was she'd dreamed she was opening presents in my lounge room (she was a child at the time). Coincidence? It may of been but probably not. The other shared dream certainly wasn't a coincidence, everything too a like with the details.

Shared dreaming doesn't seem to be a common dream phenomena (and I've only had ever those two experiences with it. Maybe if I'd shared dreams regularly with my daughter there may of been more but that was a very rare thing for us to do and certainly never did it without reason to)
Last edited by taniaaust1 on 20 Aug 2015 08:46, edited 1 time in total.
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

deschainXIX

Postby deschainXIX » 20 Aug 2015 02:41

1a) 16-20.
1b) Yes.
1c) My sister is older; my brother is younger.
1d) Yes.
1e) Male.
1f) No.
1g) Yes.
1h) On average, two to three hours per week. Not much.

2a) Yes.
2b) If I'm not journaling, I usually remember two or three dreams in moderate detail when I wake up, and by the time my feet hit the floor I have forgotten 95% of them. If I'm journaling, I remember anywhere between two to ten dreams per night.
2c) I try to.

3a) In my dreams I'm usually either encountering old friends or experiencing some element of some film I've watched recently (for example, the other night I dreamed I was aboard an industrial spaceship being pursued by a sexualized space-demon--I had watched Alien (1979) that night).
3b) Memories, internal conflicts, nonsense, and other. It can range anywhere between these four tiers, and usually they're amalgamations of them all.
3c) Yes.
3d) No. I'm not a firm believer in dream interpretation. I think most dreams are nonsensical ravings of the subconscious. Meaning can be embedded in some dreams--in some people's more than others--but it is up to the individual to interpret his or her dreams, not a charlatan toting some cheap book that professes to know the meaning of all dreams. Dreams are the most individualized, unique things about ourselves, and if you and I both dream about a blue bunny, it most certainly does not mean the same thing for both of us. Explore the phenomenology of your own mind; only you can do this.
3e) Yes.
3f) Like I said, I often dream of old friends who I've had to let go. I never dream about friends I currently have, only ones I used to have. I also dream about sex quite a bit.
3g) No.
3h) Not precisely. One time, however, I was sitting on a bus and I fell asleep. The irrational narrative of my micro-dream built to a climax in which I was plummeting toward the cement after having been kicked off the side of a sky-scraper. When I hit the ground I woke up--but I woke up because that was when the bus hit a speed bump at 30 miles per hour and I was thrown into the air. It was strange, but probably not prophetic.

4a) Yes.
4b) Hmm... three or four times per week.
4c) Five days ago I had a false awakening. When I woke up I couldn't find my dog anywhere, so I did a reality check and realized I was dreaming.
4d) Absolutely. Having a good dream life is just as important as getting a good night's sleep.

5a) Yes.
5b) Yes.
5c) Yes.
5d) I woke up after sleeping for five hours. I read articles about lucid dreaming, then meditated. Then I induced a Wake Induced Lucid Dream. As I entered sleep paralysis, I opened my eyes. The color of my room was entirely in black and white and it was raining oil. Japanese characters flashed in the center of my vision over and over, then I was suddenly standing in an industrial yard all by myself, surrounded by towering cranes and pumps and arches (I vaguely remember seeing myself in third person--I was a Japanese man and my entire body was silhouetted and I was staring into the oil-black sky). It was night and it was pouring rain. I was standing in mud. It was all very graphic and stylized, like a shot out of the film Sin City. It was so intense that I shot back into sleep paralysis and hallucinated the same silhouetted Japanese man standing in my bedroom doorway. Sufficiently creeped out, I wiggled my fingers to wake myself up.

I hope this is useful to your research. ;)
Well said.

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 21 Aug 2015 03:10

D1a) 21-40
1b) Yes
1c) both
1d) No
1e) male
1f) No
1g) Yes
1h) Once a month

2a) Yes
2b) Every morning
2c) Yes

3a) Brawling; aliens; monsters; animals; drugs; crime; desultory scenes; false memories; heterosexual fantasies; adventure; conflicts.
3b) false memories; desultory scenes; adventure.
3c) Yes
3d) No
3e) No
3f) Not applicable
3g) No
3h) Yes

4a) No
4b) N/A
4c) N/A
4d) N/A and N/A

5a) Yes
5b) Yes
5c) Yes
5d) I have tried all methods; I find DEILD very effective. I have been having more DILDs than WILDs (I usually employ the typical 'separation from the body' technique with the latter). When I reach the lucid dream state, I employ techniques to maintain and prolong it; I also manage it by attempting to carry out an action plan.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

faswezza

Postby faswezza » 21 Aug 2015 12:28

I am so incredibly grateful for your responses. A special thank you for the longer explanations.
I have made notes on your experiences and transferred them to my research book. Once I have gathered an adequate amount of responses, I will begin analysing the results.
Once again, thank you very much for your input. It was extremely important to me to obtain answers from wonderfully experienced people like you. :)

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 22 Aug 2015 00:07

You're welcome! 8-)

[ Post made via Android ] Image
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

Xtreme_Walrus

Postby Xtreme_Walrus » 22 Aug 2015 20:50

1a) 16-20
1b) Y
1c) Older
1d) Y
1e) Male
1f) N
1g) Y
1h) 3-6 hours a week

2a) Y
2b) It varies, but on average I would say 10 dreams a week
2c) Y

3a) Being in high school, hanging out with friends, exploring, superpowers
3b) For the most part memories, however there is usually a storyline
3c) Y
3d) N
3e) Y
3f) Being in school, because school is a large portion of my life and I try to dedicate myself to it.
3g) Y
3h) Y

4a) Y
4b) Probably once a month
4c) Sleep Paralysis and False Awakenings are the two things I experience. I try to use sleep paralysis to induce lucid dreams, however I don't have much experience with it. As for False Awakenings, they usually happen after lucid dreams. They usually consist of me "waking up" in my bed writing down my dream in my dream journal, only to actually wake up to reality.
4d) N

5a) Y
5b) Y
5c) Y
5d) The WILD technique (Wake Induced Lucid Dream) is probably the most interesting inducing method. I had a successful WILD about 3 weeks ago. I woke up and my body was already half paralyzed so I decided I might as well try to do the WILD technique. I lay still as my body continues to paralyze while I try and keep consciousness. I transition into the dream however, the dream isn't entirely formed so I have to help create the dream by adding objects. By the time I finished making one small section of the dream, my subconscious has created the entire rest of the dream world.

Hope you do well on your project!
"I woke up in between a memory and a dream" -Tom Petty

faswezza

Postby faswezza » 24 Aug 2015 13:53

Loving all this feedback, thank you so much! :D

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”