The blind lucid one

Drop a line here to introduce yourself! Let us know your background, where you're from in the world, your lucid goals.
musicmyxtress

The blind lucid one

Postby musicmyxtress » 19 Aug 2015 04:57

Hi everyone.
I am not quite new to lucid dreaming. I have had lucid dreams for a while now. I've been working on techniques to make myself lucid dream. Things like isochronic tones if you've ever heard of them make it easier and more likely that I do. I normally do the Dild technique, as I have sleep apnia and so I wake up a lot at night with a very fuzzy brain that probably just woke up out of deep sleep. Normally, lucidity happens to me during naps. It's bad if I do a wild and am too lightly asleep or too aware of my body though, because with sleep apnia I feel like I can't breathe. My dreams then are usually of suffocation. But dilds work for me and sometimes, like today, I can get a wonderful Wild. I hope to try and make them more frequent and control them better. My mind seems to keep sinking into sleep. I think of it as this void of unconsciousness that my mind keeps falling into, and it robs me of lucidity and mostly clarity. My dreams become disjointed or stop altogether. I'm trying to learn how to control when I relax into that void. There's another twist to my lucid dreaming journey: I am blind. I have light perception and that is it. In my dreams, and in hypnogogia, I feel and hear. Focus is mostly on sounds and fake memories and thoughts. I do lucidity tests by pressing two fingers of one hand into the other palm and willing them to go through.
I am excited to finally have a forum to discuss this with. My family is not that interested in dreams. I want to be able to create music in my dreams for arrangement in waking life. I also write fantasy, and sometimes I like talking to my own characters in dreams.

Summerlander

Re: The blind lucid one

Postby Summerlander » 19 Aug 2015 10:48

Hi and welcome to the forum, music! How interesting. Is your blindness congenital?

[ Post made via Android ] Image
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

musicmyxtress

Postby musicmyxtress » 19 Aug 2015 14:55

Yes, it is. My optic nerve did not develop all the way.

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 19 Aug 2015 23:56

I'm trying so hard to imagine a sightless world where one navigates using tactility and sound. You are certainly at an advantageous position if we are to envision what it is like to be a bat. Then again, you have no means to imagine what my subjective world looks like — a three-dimensional space defined by colour and light. Different perspectives intrigue me, though. Both of us strive for the same goal as we avoid false memories and try not to lose ourselves: lucidity. Out of curiosity, what is your strongest sense when you lucid dream?

By the way, tell me about your fantasy literature — does it involve lucid dreaming? 8-)

"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

musicmyxtress

Postby musicmyxtress » 20 Aug 2015 14:40

I've never heard of it looked at quite that way before. No, my fantasy books usually take place in other worlds. Like Narnia. Lucidity is far too new to me to have put it in anything, especially, and this kills me to no end, since I can't seem to end my stories.
My primary sense is sound. If I were talking to you in person, I would get to know you based on your voice. It takes forever, but I soon learn the individual voice. Then I can walk up to you and instantly know who you are. Therefor, in my lucid dreams, I get a lot of sounds. Voices, sometimes, and I've been trying to make this happen, music. Flying dreams are especially difficult for me, because I I'm so used to either sitting or standing on a surface. With no tactile sensation other than wind and motion... it's just hard for me to picture. Once, I solved this problem in a lucid dream by taking a board or plank from the garage, casting a "spell" over it, and making it fly like a magic carpet, sitting on it. So yes, it limits what I can do a bit, but then again, it forces me to find newer, creative ways to do such things. By the way, I've researched, and I am actually more blind than a bat. Bats can see a bit, and they have much better echo location than I do.

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 22 Aug 2015 00:21

Interesting. Thank you for your clarifications. I can imagine flying being a problem without sight. (It's bad enough walking in the dark.) But at least you make the effort to be creative and make things interesting. Are the voices in your lucid dreams often clear and coherent, or do they tend to mumble? I find that I often have to tune into dream character's voices in order to detect meaning. It seems to me that what you look for in dreams, you create. What's your take?

- Padmasambhava

Destinydawn14

Postby Destinydawn14 » 29 Aug 2015 03:13

Fascinating! I recently finished a book called "All the light we cannot see" about a blind girl during WWII and how she overcame her obstacles in everyday life, in order to make it out of the war alive. Your story reminds me of it. I have so many questions for you, and actually a few ways that I may be able to help you learn to lucid dream. I suppose first I'll list the questions:

1. Do you have visual images in your dreams?
2. Are there colors, or black and white, or is there any visual image at all?
3. What do your voices consist of? Are they people you know instantly? Are they random unrecognized voices? Do they stay on topic of a conversation or do they veer to the disjointed?

I'll start with those.
Secondly, I am an avid dreamer and lucid dreamer. But i'm also constantly flying or floating in my dreams, which, is a trigger for a lucid dream, which is why i have them frequently. But one of the main ways I learned to fly in dreams, or actually rather, why it happens, is because i'm a swimmer and lifeguard. I spend sometimes hours per day in a swimming pool. I've learned to balance my body in the water, and float in almost any position. I am so comfortable in the water, that I do not fear sinking, or drowning, and it's sort of like being in a hyperbaric chamber, devoid of sense. Eyes closed, water in my ears blocking sound, the only tactile feelings are of a supporting wetness that floats my body. I wonder if you learned these techniques, if it would be able to give you the physical feeling of weightlessness and "floating" in real life, which would then allow you to transfer the same feelings over to your dreaming life? Love the idea about casting a spell on a board. Sometimes when I read the Harry Potter saga I cast spells in my dream with a magic wand, but usually I just "have" magic and I use it to create my dreamscapes. I would sincerely like to talk to you more about this. Good luck, and I hope that you achieve in dreams what is so hard for many to achieve in real life. :)

musicmyxtress

Postby musicmyxtress » 04 Sep 2015 03:39

To answer some of the questions, A lot of the voices I hear our unrecognizable. When they are people I know, for some reason their personalities are not quite right. I find that disconcerting, so I prefer not to put family members or friends in my dreams. Sometimes, however, a family member or friend will appear in my dreams, and once in a while, they'll be normal. There are no visual images, I cannot imagine what it's like to see, so I have trouble really seeing in my dreams, unless the day before I had been fantasizing about a surgery to fix my vision, then I will go a little out on the limb and imagine things in my dreams. I really do that though. You can't miss what you never had. As for the mumbling, it depends on how vague the dream is. There are some very vivid dreams that they don't mumble, and everything is clear. But one of the dream is vague, or threatening to become vague, they begin to mumble, and words Glenn together. And, destiny dawn14, I'm using dictation so excuse me if I misspelled that, If you PM me, you could ask me as many questions as you like. People who put blind people in stories always get my attention, because some people will get it wrong, and then we will be misrepresented. I would like to help you avoid that. I'm the kind of person who never gets tired of questions. I like your idea about comparing it to floating. I would have to figure out how to do that, but I want to try it. I can only float on water for a few minutes at a time, I've been learning breathing techniques and they help me not sync as fast. I do it in shorter pools so that I can put my feet on the floor when I feel myself getting in trouble. I cannot remember all the questions posted here, so if I have forgotten some and we would still like to know, please PM me. I love this line where blindness, site, and any other disability, effect lucid dreaming. It's something people don't normally think about, and I feel I can offer a different point of view. People on this form have already given me amazing suggestions for nonvisual techniques of doing things.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Return to “Introduce Yourself”