is this an out of body experience?

Discuss paranormal activity linked with sleep and dreams, such as out of body experiences, astral projection and psychic dreams.
crileymac
Posts: 3
Joined: 19 Aug 2015 20:54

is this an out of body experience?

Postby crileymac » 19 Aug 2015 21:42

I'm only 14 and I have been lucid dreaming for about a year. My first LD ended right away because I got too excited and woke up, but now I can keep myself calm and in the dream. Sometimes right when I become lucid, everything going on in the dream starts happening really quickly and everything is chaotic. It's hard to stay calm in these moments, so I close my eyes until I know everything calmed down. But right when I'm about to open my eyes, its like my vision changes and I can see myself in my bed. I realize that if I open my eyes then I will wake up in real life, and I can even feel it as I begin to open them. Ive tried opening them and I did wake up, so I know its not a false awakening. It wouldn't be weird if I couldn't see myself. Ive never had an out of body experience, but is this one? Thanks!

User avatar
taniaaust1
Posts: 2973
Joined: 07 Feb 2013 15:32
Location: Adelaide, South Australia

Re: is this an out of body experience?

Postby taniaaust1 » 20 Aug 2015 09:27

It's hard to say. It could be and OBE but then you could also be just dreaming this and just sensing you are going to actually wake up if you try to open up your eyes. I guess with more experiences you may come to know. With astral energy (which is used in OBEs) it is possible to actually see a room with closed eyes.

You could test this out to see if you actually are really seeing with eyes shut (so in that case using your astral bodies energy). Before you go to try to LD or go to sleep, throw a small soft or rubber ball into your room behind your head but not looking to see where it ends up .. then try to see "exactly" where it is in the room when you have one of these experiences.
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

User avatar
Summerlander
Posts: 4344
Joined: 22 Sep 2011 19:52

Re: is this an out of body experience?

Postby Summerlander » 29 Aug 2015 01:57

taniaaust1 wrote: It's hard to say...


It's not hard to say at all! If he felt like he was somewhere other than his sleeping body, then he had an OBE. (An out-of-body experience only in the illusory sense as things are not always what they seem and this is so true of dreams, lucid or otherwise.)

Real OBEs are nothing more than an evidentially insubstantial claim—a belief based on the outdated 16th-century strawman that is dualism. (René Descartes was wrong; David Hume was right—bundle theory in line with Theravada Buddhism, the teachings of Vipassanā, and nearly two centuries of neuroscientific evidence.) :-)

taniaaust1 wrote:With astral energy (which is used in OBEs) it is possible to actually see a room with closed eyes.


Why do you spout such nonsense to the boy using a tone of certainty? There is no evidence for the existence of such a thing as 'astral energy'. All you have is your mind, which, as far as we can tell, appears to be the byproduct of a functional brain. (And need I remind you that the mental has the potential to emulate impossibilities such as seeing with your eyes closed?) :lol:

taniaaust1 wrote:You could test this out to see if you actually are really seeing with eyes shut (so in that case using your astral bodies energy). Before you go to try to LD or go to sleep, throw a small soft or rubber ball into your room behind your head but not looking to see where it ends up .. then try to see "exactly" where it is in the room when you have one of these experiences.


Oh, come on... :-D

This is not a valid test as your mind can make pretty good guesses based on the weight of the ball, the throw, the noise the object makes when it lands etc. In essence, you are jumping to conclusions when, out of confirmation bias, you label the hits as 'real OBEs' and the misses as 'just dreams'. It seems more likely that out-of-body experiences are merely products of a dreaming mind—just as notions of 'astral bodies' and 'souls' are obvious delusions devised by individuals whose minds are too namby-pamby to face the truth. No ektoplasm—or anything of the paranormal sort—ever leaves the body because you are the body.

crileymac wrote:It wouldn't be weird if I couldn't see myself. Ive never had an out of body experience, but is this one? Thanks!

Try this perspective, kid: 8-)

http://www.world-of-lucid-dreaming.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=16442

And here is an exploratory discourse: :geek:

http://www.world-of-lucid-dreaming.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=15030

[ Post made via Android ] Image
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

User avatar
taniaaust1
Posts: 2973
Joined: 07 Feb 2013 15:32
Location: Adelaide, South Australia

Re: is this an out of body experience?

Postby taniaaust1 » 01 Sep 2015 18:52

It's not hard to say at all! If he felt like he was somewhere other than his sleeping body, then he had an OBE.


One can also just "dream" one is somewhere other then in their sleeping body, isn't that in fact what all people who do LD are doing and they know it. As the poster asked about if it was an OBE and didn't ask if he'd had a LD, I assume he's asking about classical kind of OBEs which are also known as astral projection and not LD experiences.

Summerlander wrote: Why do you spout such nonsense to the boy using a tone of certainty? There is no evidence for the existence of such a thing as 'astral energy'.


I use the tone of certainty as its something I can feel and experience at times. No I don't need evidence from elsewhere.


Oh, come on... :-D

This is not a valid test as your mind can make pretty good guesses based on the weight of the ball, the throw, the noise the object makes when it lands etc. In essence, you are jumping to conclusions when, out of confirmation bias, you label the hits as 'real OBEs' and the misses as 'just dreams'.


If that test isn't good enough for you, get someone to draw something and put it face up somewhere in your home without looking physically at it so to later astrally look at it. There are so many different kinds of tests one could do if one kind of test wasn't enough to satisify someone that their experience was real (and not just a dream).

If you try this once and get it wrong, you know you were only dreaming as obviously then your mind has made it up. (you shouldn't need to try doing this over and over, just doing it once will tell someone they are mistaking OBEs for LDs and this should help you to know for the future.

It seems more likely that out-of-body experiences are merely products of a dreaming mind—just as notions of 'astral bodies' and 'souls' are obvious delusions devised by individuals whose minds are too namby-pamby to face the truth. No ektoplasm—or anything of the paranormal sort—ever leaves the body because you are the body.


It cant be "just a product of the mind" if one can accurately see things as well as real life during these experiences.
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

User avatar
Summerlander
Posts: 4344
Joined: 22 Sep 2011 19:52

Re: is this an out of body experience?

Postby Summerlander » 02 Sep 2015 00:24

That kind of inductive logic will get you nowhere. If someone wins the lottery, does that mean he or she vaticinated the outcome? In your world, it does. God forbid it happened by coincidence because coincidences never occur. Something must always be afoot—besides, it's already been proved, right? (Sarcasm intended if you can't detect it.) :-D

Tut-tut... Very narrow-minded. :mrgreen:

'The understanding must not ... be supplied with wings, but rather hung with weights, to keep it from leaping and flying.'

FRANCIS BACON

[ Post made via Android ] Image
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava


Return to “Paranormal Activity”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests